Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Kennedy Half Dollars Distinction between SP & MS - Opinion Please

The issue I have and opinions I seek,
In the Kennedy Basic Set Circulation Strikes 1964-Present
There were Kennedy’s that were produced by the US Mint starting in (2005 and ending in 2010, there were other years also but this was the main run) in a satin finish where there were also some that were minted in a clad version.
For the registry sets one can have either the Satin finish or the Clad version and meet the requirements of satisfying the requirement to own that date and MM. the clad version which is much rarer are considerably more expensive to illustrate for those that do not know an example would be the 2008 -D in a clad would be $450.00 or more with a population of 32 and none graded higher. The SF (SP) designation in the 2008-D Satin finished coin can be purchased for $70.00 or less and there are (a note the mint didn’t release those into circulation they were realized in special mint sets (sms)), over 272 of them graded SP 67 or Higher.
My contention and the question I have is this,
While I agree that either the SP designation or Clad version can satisfy the requirements to complete the set, I believe if you have a version of the coin that is allowed to be considered as fulfilling the requirement for that date and your version is the highest known example of that coin you should be given the 1 point bonus for the highest known example of that coin as there are no finer examples.
Clad and Satin finish just like MS and DMPL and Proof are all different versions of the coin. If PCGS can draw a distinction between the coins with the population totals then it’s easily possible for them to award a bonus point for those coins that are the highest example in existence for that particular coin in that set. I hope that “Wondercoins” who has the highest rated set can chime in here. I obviously am taking a lesser graded coin and adding it to my set knowing that I can’t ever catch certain collections as they are able to add a Satin Finished version for 1/4 or less then what I would pay for a Clad version where the SF coin is 1 grade higher or more.
I understand that that is a choice I make and I am 100% okay with that as I prefer all clad vs the easier Satin finish coins mixed into my set. ( for those years 2005-2010). My issue is that there is no reason to not be given the point bonus for having the highest known example of that coin in that grade in that version.
Okay, I know the argument is you have to have the highest graded coin in that year to earn that bonus, I argue I do, because SP is not MS if they were then PCGS wound not make the distinction on the label. Do you believe that if you have the highest example in that coin should you be awarded the bonus point for highest known example?
Thoughts please …..

Comments

• Options
    WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,355 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SMY_Utah_Collection
    I might be misunderstanding your question but if not I can tell you that the Sp satin finished Kennedys do add the +1 bonus point in this set.
    I have attached a screen shot taken from my set to illustrate this.
    The screen shot is from my set registry where I can add or modify coins in this set and not the public viewing page.

Notice under the 2007-p Sp 69 grade that it rates a 70 and not a 69.
    I hope this helps.
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options

I am stating that the Clad version in The 2008-D at a grade of MS 67 is the highest such grade available in an “MS CLAD” version of the coin. The Satin finish version has a higher grade (69) as being the highest grade available.
    My contention is that the MS CLAD 67 since the MS 67 is the highest available it should be awarded the 1 point bonus. In order to get the bonus point in the SF version of the coin you should have the SF 69.
    MS 67 - clad - highest grade available pop 32 - gets a point
    SF - 69 (SP) - highest grade available pop 3 gets a bonus point
    They are 2 different versions of the coin

• Options

@SMY_Utah_Collection
    You might want to contact set registry and ask them why this is so.
    In order for the clad ms coins to get the +1 bonus, they would need to eliminate all of the stain finish coins from the set.
    I am in total agreement that the satins do grade higher as they never were meant to go into general circulation.
    This reminds me of the discussions on here of why a pr68 dcam gets a higher rating than a pr69 coin.
    Many members asked why this was so, (including me). No changes were made.
    It is souly PCGS determination of which coins it will allow/want in their sets.
    I would recommend that if you are looking to gain points and improve your set's ranking, get a sf sp68 coin.
    The sf sp69 coins reside in the top sets so until some more coins reach this level, the 68 is the best you can do.
    I own both the ms67 and the sp68 coins. My set is currently ranked #7.
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options

@WAYNEAS said:
    @SMY_Utah_Collection
    You might want to contact set registry and ask them why this is so.
    In order for the clad ms coins to get the +1 bonus, they would need to eliminate all of the stain finish coins from the set.
    I am in total agreement that the satins do grade higher as they never were meant to go into general circulation.
    This reminds me of the discussions on here of why a pr68 dcam gets a higher rating than a pr69 coin.
    Many members asked why this was so, (including me). No changes were made.
    It is souly PCGS determination of which coins it will allow/want in their sets.
    I would recommend that if you are looking to gain points and improve your set's ranking, get a sf sp68 coin.
    The sf sp69 coins reside in the top sets so until some more coins reach this level, the 68 is the best you can do.
    I own both the ms67 and the sp68 coins. My set is currently ranked #7.
    Wayne

Wayne,
    I do for the most part have both versions, I am not chasing anyone, I am content with where I am as I find nicer coins to add to my collection. I also have seen that the PCGS set registry has a Kennedy set that does include BOTH versions in the Clad and SF for the years 2005-2010. I did contact them (PCGS) and they said that the bonus is awarded to the coin for that year that has the highest grade available. They do not distinguish a difference between MS or SF. I said it is the easy way out, that a coin that was not meant for circulation is in included in a set that says CIRCULATION strikes, that it makes no sense to me. But then again, I am nowhere as knowledgeable in relation to this hobby to put up a good argument, so I thought I would ask here if I was totally off base. It seems I am not, I can live with that. By the way, I am currently #11 on the current finest Kennedy Set on the registry ( circulation strikes 1964-Present). Under the Set SMY Utah Collection.
    Thank you for taking your time and answering me on the subject. I appreciate your insight and others.

Scott

• Options

I always like a fellow Kennedy collector. We must stick together as many do not like “modern” collections. Lol
    I too am always looking for nice upgrades for my Kennedy sets.
    As I am not a seller or dealer of coins, it does become harder to compete with the big boys. I still own every coin that I have acquired.
    Best of luck in your searches.
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...