Home Sports Talk

Could we please have a moment of silence on the forum?

stevekstevek Posts: 27,461 ✭✭✭✭✭

https://www.outkick.com/dallas-cowboys-fans-green-bay-packers-loss-reactions/

DALLAS COWBOYS FANS HAVE EPIC MELTDOWNS AFTER HUMILIATING LOSS TO THE PACKERS

Out of respect to Cowboys fans who are hurting, I ask that we have a moment of silence.

Comments

  • stevekstevek Posts: 27,461 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Yea I know, I may have jinxed the Eagles tonight with this post. But I just couldn't help myself, it's a chance I had to take. 😎

  • DarinDarin Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Dallas fans burning their jerseys! 😂😂😂

    DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.
  • perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,204 ✭✭✭✭✭

    😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

  • perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,204 ✭✭✭✭✭

    😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

  • LandrysFedoraLandrysFedora Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭✭✭

    My days of epic meltdowns ended years ago. As long as Jones owns this team this is now expected on a yearly basis. He sells hype and snake oil and that's all it is in the end.

  • perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,204 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @LandrysFedora said:
    My days of epic meltdowns ended years ago. As long as Jones owns this team this is now expected on a yearly basis. He sells hype and snake oil and that's all it is in the end.

    Other than making Pollard a feature back I'm curious as to what other bad decisions the Cowboys made, and of them what do you hold Jones accountable for?

    They draft well and have a solid team that just fails come playoff time.

  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,367 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @stevek said:
    Yea I know, I may have jinxed the Eagles tonight with this post. But I just couldn't help myself, it's a chance I had to take. 😎

    I think the Eagles have jinxed themselves. Baker Mayfield is really hurting, but so is Gayland Hurts. The Bucks were only able to put up three field goals against the lowly Carolina Tom Cats. The Eagles’ pass defense has really been porous of late, but the Bucks offense has be weak too. It might be a contest of similar ineptitudes.

    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭✭✭

    At the age of 81 and a net worth of almost $14 Billion, one would think Jerry Jones would focus on enjoying what life he has left. So, now he'll blame McCarthy for the loss and his severly bruised ego. Being whipped at home apparently is too much for him to endure. With a toy like this, that's longer than a football field, why not just cruise the world??

    https://marketrealist.com/p/jerry-jones-yacht/

    It does amaze me how those "in the front office" in all pro sports have this insane notion that firing people and paying obscene contracts to future wannabe stars is always the answer to their problems. Rarely is that the solution.

    Stevek's post made me feel bad for the lone star faithful, but not for long, I got over it instantly. See you at the super bowl Jerry...oh, perhaps you won't be there. B)B)

    Hasta La Vista Baby

  • LandrysFedoraLandrysFedora Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @perkdog said:

    @LandrysFedora said:
    My days of epic meltdowns ended years ago. As long as Jones owns this team this is now expected on a yearly basis. He sells hype and snake oil and that's all it is in the end.

    Other than making Pollard a feature back I'm curious as to what other bad decisions the Cowboys made, and of them what do you hold Jones accountable for?

    They draft well and have a solid team that just fails come playoff time.

    I hold Jones responsible for hiring head coaches that are just there as figure heads to kiss his a**. Going back to the "clapper" Garrett days the Cowboys are perennially one of the top penalized teams in the NFL. I watch every game Perk and I can't begin to tell you how frustrating this is as a fan to watch. These "Jerry" coaches have no control and instill no discipline whatsoever, and I would suspect not much respect from the players. As for Pollard, I actually think he's held his spot at the table and is the least of the issues. Is he a stud every down back like Zeke was in his prime? Probably not but he has not embarrassed either. And all this talk of Belichick coming and saving the Cowboys is garbage. Bill would never work for an overbearing owner like Jones. This is why Jimmy Johnson and Bill Parcells left. I doubt Jerry will do the correct thing and fire McCarthy, he's the perfect fit for what Jerry wants. This team is talented, no doubt, but you need a competent leader to put these puzzle pieces together and make it work.

  • perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,204 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @LandrysFedora said:

    @perkdog said:

    @LandrysFedora said:
    My days of epic meltdowns ended years ago. As long as Jones owns this team this is now expected on a yearly basis. He sells hype and snake oil and that's all it is in the end.

    Other than making Pollard a feature back I'm curious as to what other bad decisions the Cowboys made, and of them what do you hold Jones accountable for?

    They draft well and have a solid team that just fails come playoff time.

    I hold Jones responsible for hiring head coaches that are just there as figure heads to kiss his a**. Going back to the "clapper" Garrett days the Cowboys are perennially one of the top penalized teams in the NFL. I watch every game Perk and I can't begin to tell you how frustrating this is as a fan to watch. These "Jerry" coaches have no control and instill no discipline whatsoever, and I would suspect not much respect from the players. As for Pollard, I actually think he's held his spot at the table and is the least of the issues. Is he a stud every down back like Zeke was in his prime? Probably not but he has not embarrassed either. And all this talk of Belichick coming and saving the Cowboys is garbage. Bill would never work for an overbearing owner like Jones. This is why Jimmy Johnson and Bill Parcells left. I doubt Jerry will do the correct thing and fire McCarthy, he's the perfect fit for what Jerry wants. This team is talented, no doubt, but you need a competent leader to put these puzzle pieces together and make it work.

    Understood

    You are correct, while reading your post I kept saying to myself "Yep"

    Sorry your team lost, I actually am a closet Cowboys fan from when I was a kid, Tony Dorsett was my favorite player.

  • doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,148 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Stephen A. Smith doing a bit of trolling with his new rap song.

  • doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,148 ✭✭✭✭✭

    This is what the Cowboys need, a little discipline, chew their butts out Jimmy.

  • 2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,230 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I’m not even. Bills play this afternoon and I need all the good karma I can muster.

    W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,053 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 15, 2024 10:03AM

    the thing i find so repugnant about the Cowboys is how arrogant they are. multiple times per season they think they can just show up unprepared and win because they are, well, the Dallas Cowboys. yesterday was just another glaring example. know what they looked like? they looked like the exact same team that lost to the Arizona Cardinals months ago when Josh Dobbs was the quarterback. when Arizona couldn't beat anyone. they pompously showed up thinking that a blowout was imminent, then the humiliation commenced.

    fast forward to yesterday.

    when you go undefeated at home during the season, then show up in the first round of the do-or-die playoffs -- at home -- and allow a team led by a QB in his first ever playoff start to hang 27 consecutive points on you, that's no longer considered just a loss in a game. that is called institutional dysfunction. from the jump the Cowboys looked unprepared and undisciplined. they once again had the look of a team that could simply show up and make a seemingly inferior team disappear. except there was one problem: like or hate the Packers, but they are a well-run franchise. Matt LaFleur had HIS team ready to play and believing they could win. then the humiliation commenced once again.

    if you haven't lived in Texas your entire life, they you really don't know how obnoxious the Dallas Cowboys are. this happens every single year. all of the hype is enough to make you vomit, but the silver lining is that every person who despises that team knows how it's going to end. they're not winners, they're posers. they exist simply to impress, but when you unravel all the layers there's very little substance to be found.

    and it starts from the very top. Jerry Jones is a very shrewd businessman. he can make money appear out of nowhere like a magician. but he has solidified himself as being one of the top-5 worst owners in the national football league in terms of results from his football team. and that's because the man doesn't know what laissez-faire means. he just can't help himself. he has to be the center of attention. if there's a camera and mic, he's like a moth to a flame. he wants to be seen and he wants to be heard at all times. Jerry is about his brand. Jerry is about MONEY. THAT is of utmost importance to him. winning is very much ancillary.

    quick: can you even name more than 50% of the owners in the league? have you ever seen more than 50% of them? exactly. and JJ's team emulates his style. they are constantly thrust into the spotlight and they are constantly told how great they are. invariably that results in them letting their guard down and it's always just a matter of time before another legitimate team in the national football league humbles them. think Arizona. think Niners. think Packers yesterday. completely embarrassing losses that come out of nowhere because they are a carbon copy of their egotistical owner.

    there's the rub.

  • stevekstevek Posts: 27,461 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @LandrysFedora said:
    My days of epic meltdowns ended years ago. As long as Jones owns this team this is now expected on a yearly basis. He sells hype and snake oil and that's all it is in the end.

    LandrysFedora is a great sports fan, and we are both fans of Tom Landry, so I'll back off from my usual Cowboys smack just for this one post, and extoll some virtues about Jerry Jones.

    Credit where credit is due, Jerry does love his team, and makes a commitment to Dallas such as building a magnificent new stadium some years back. Hype and snake oil, yes, but in my opinion there's love behind it, if that makes sense.

    Which leads up to my main point. I'm not going to regurgitate the long story behind it, but the Eagles once had an owner, Norman Braman, who seriously considered moving the Eagles out of Philadelphia, either to New Jersey or possibly to a totally different geographical area. Really for no good reason. I mean ticket sales were always brisk, attendance always robust, and of course enthusiasm for the team throughout the local area was second to none. Yet this wealthy punk was considering moving the team. I bring it up only because I don't think Jerry would even contemplate moving his team from Dallas. And so from the Braman experience, I do respect a NFL owner who is a solid member of their community.

    Now for the football problem of Jerry. Firstly if he hadn't fortunately hired Jimmy Johnson, i have no doubt that he would have never won a Super Bowl. To cut to the chase, his major flaw is he is a shining example of the old saying that a little bit of knowledge is dangerous. He thinks he knows the intricacies of building a championship team, but in reality he doesn't. I could probably do a detailed dissertation on this, but I'll end it here.

    Suffice to say that a long time ago, Jerry should have admitted his flaws, worked to hire a competent GM, and the head coach and assistants he hired to just let them coach and leave them alone. Find the best people, and then stay the yell out of the way. All great CEO's of successful companies do it this way and it works. But Jerry with his gigantic ego, just can't stop sticking his nose in everything where it doesn't belong.

    His commitment to Dallas, and to spending money usually gets his team into a contending position which is fine. But then Jerry always finds various ways to muck it up. He just couldn't stand anyone else possibly getting the lion's share of the credit for a Super Bowl win, therefore he doesn't get any, except for the Jimmy Johnson built teams.

  • GroceryRackPackGroceryRackPack Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭✭✭

    My lady is So Overjoyed...Yep she's a Packers Girl... o:)

  • fergie23fergie23 Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭✭

    McCarthy has three consecutive 12 win seasons and Jones managed to put together one of the best rosters in football. Love them or hate them, the issue the last few seasons isn't really with Jones or McCarthy.

    Honestly, the game was lost by Prescott in the first 4 drives of the game. Sure the defense didn't play particularly well but an early score by the Cowboys offense would have settled everyone down IMO. It is remarkable watching these playoff games and seeing how quickly things can snowball out of control.

    Robb

  • SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,596 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 15, 2024 4:16PM

    I am not a die hard fan of any sport, but I do like and very much enjoy watching athletic competition. Humans are fascinating and it never ceases to amaze me what successes and failures take place on the field of competition. In addition to the things that take place on the field, there is also fascinating stuff that plays out prior to, during and after an athletic competition (including seeing, hearing and reading comments of fans, critics, talking heads and the general public made about events that are expected to happen, that do or do not happen and that did or did not happen during an athletic competition).

    Watching the Packers-Cowboys playoff game yesterday was fascinating. Seeing the Cowboys be so utterly inept on defense was surreal (but in hind sight not surprising) and comical. So was watching the reactions of the Dallas players, coaches, owner and fans during the game, including close ups of their faces.

    What is even more fascinating is the comments posted in this and other NFL Sports Forum threads, plus the morning after sports TV shows.

    Everything mentioned above and more combine into something that is truly human (and to many very entertaining).

    My current thought is "How about them Cowboys???????????????????", but not in the tone that is present when those words are spoken after a major Dallas victory.

    Instead the thought is made in the tone that would go along with exasperated persons pulling their hair out saying "What The H*ll Is Happening?" or "Oh No, Not Again!!!".

  • DarinDarin Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Lots of good posts on this thread!
    I do think McCarthy should get the axe because Dallas was never a part of the game on their home field as a huge favorite.
    Like it or not a poor effort like that reflects very poorly on the coach even though the players shouldn’t need a coach to motivate them.

    Also Dak is the next Philip Rivers.
    Fine for the regular season but you don’t want him on your team in the postseason. I would get rid of him he’s had enough chances.

    DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.
  • LandrysFedoraLandrysFedora Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @stevek said:

    @LandrysFedora said:
    My days of epic meltdowns ended years ago. As long as Jones owns this team this is now expected on a yearly basis. He sells hype and snake oil and that's all it is in the end.

    LandrysFedora is a great sports fan, and we are both fans of Tom Landry, so I'll back off from my usual Cowboys smack just for this one post, and extoll some virtues about Jerry Jones.

    Credit where credit is due, Jerry does love his team, and makes a commitment to Dallas such as building a magnificent new stadium some years back. Hype and snake oil, yes, but in my opinion there's love behind it, if that makes sense.

    Which leads up to my main point. I'm not going to regurgitate the long story behind it, but the Eagles once had an owner, Norman Braman, who seriously considered moving the Eagles out of Philadelphia, either to New Jersey or possibly to a totally different geographical area. Really for no good reason. I mean ticket sales were always brisk, attendance always robust, and of course enthusiasm for the team throughout the local area was second to none. Yet this wealthy punk was considering moving the team. I bring it up only because I don't think Jerry would even contemplate moving his team from Dallas. And so from the Braman experience, I do respect a NFL owner who is a solid member of their community.

    Now for the football problem of Jerry. Firstly if he hadn't fortunately hired Jimmy Johnson, i have no doubt that he would have never won a Super Bowl. To cut to the chase, his major flaw is he is a shining example of the old saying that a little bit of knowledge is dangerous. He thinks he knows the intricacies of building a championship team, but in reality he doesn't. I could probably do a detailed dissertation on this, but I'll end it here.

    Suffice to say that a long time ago, Jerry should have admitted his flaws, worked to hire a competent GM, and the head coach and assistants he hired to just let them coach and leave them alone. Find the best people, and then stay the yell out of the way. All great CEO's of successful companies do it this way and it works. But Jerry with his gigantic ego, just can't stop sticking his nose in everything where it doesn't belong.

    His commitment to Dallas, and to spending money usually gets his team into a contending position which is fine. But then Jerry always finds various ways to muck it up. He just couldn't stand anyone else possibly getting the lion's share of the credit for a Super Bowl win, therefore he doesn't get any, except for the Jimmy Johnson built teams.

    Steve was Braman the car dealership guy?

  • stevekstevek Posts: 27,461 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @LandrysFedora said:

    @stevek said:

    @LandrysFedora said:
    My days of epic meltdowns ended years ago. As long as Jones owns this team this is now expected on a yearly basis. He sells hype and snake oil and that's all it is in the end.

    LandrysFedora is a great sports fan, and we are both fans of Tom Landry, so I'll back off from my usual Cowboys smack just for this one post, and extoll some virtues about Jerry Jones.

    Credit where credit is due, Jerry does love his team, and makes a commitment to Dallas such as building a magnificent new stadium some years back. Hype and snake oil, yes, but in my opinion there's love behind it, if that makes sense.

    Which leads up to my main point. I'm not going to regurgitate the long story behind it, but the Eagles once had an owner, Norman Braman, who seriously considered moving the Eagles out of Philadelphia, either to New Jersey or possibly to a totally different geographical area. Really for no good reason. I mean ticket sales were always brisk, attendance always robust, and of course enthusiasm for the team throughout the local area was second to none. Yet this wealthy punk was considering moving the team. I bring it up only because I don't think Jerry would even contemplate moving his team from Dallas. And so from the Braman experience, I do respect a NFL owner who is a solid member of their community.

    Now for the football problem of Jerry. Firstly if he hadn't fortunately hired Jimmy Johnson, i have no doubt that he would have never won a Super Bowl. To cut to the chase, his major flaw is he is a shining example of the old saying that a little bit of knowledge is dangerous. He thinks he knows the intricacies of building a championship team, but in reality he doesn't. I could probably do a detailed dissertation on this, but I'll end it here.

    Suffice to say that a long time ago, Jerry should have admitted his flaws, worked to hire a competent GM, and the head coach and assistants he hired to just let them coach and leave them alone. Find the best people, and then stay the yell out of the way. All great CEO's of successful companies do it this way and it works. But Jerry with his gigantic ego, just can't stop sticking his nose in everything where it doesn't belong.

    His commitment to Dallas, and to spending money usually gets his team into a contending position which is fine. But then Jerry always finds various ways to muck it up. He just couldn't stand anyone else possibly getting the lion's share of the credit for a Super Bowl win, therefore he doesn't get any, except for the Jimmy Johnson built teams.

    Steve was Braman the car dealership guy?

    Yes.

  • LandrysFedoraLandrysFedora Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @stevek said:

    @LandrysFedora said:

    @stevek said:

    @LandrysFedora said:
    My days of epic meltdowns ended years ago. As long as Jones owns this team this is now expected on a yearly basis. He sells hype and snake oil and that's all it is in the end.

    LandrysFedora is a great sports fan, and we are both fans of Tom Landry, so I'll back off from my usual Cowboys smack just for this one post, and extoll some virtues about Jerry Jones.

    Credit where credit is due, Jerry does love his team, and makes a commitment to Dallas such as building a magnificent new stadium some years back. Hype and snake oil, yes, but in my opinion there's love behind it, if that makes sense.

    Which leads up to my main point. I'm not going to regurgitate the long story behind it, but the Eagles once had an owner, Norman Braman, who seriously considered moving the Eagles out of Philadelphia, either to New Jersey or possibly to a totally different geographical area. Really for no good reason. I mean ticket sales were always brisk, attendance always robust, and of course enthusiasm for the team throughout the local area was second to none. Yet this wealthy punk was considering moving the team. I bring it up only because I don't think Jerry would even contemplate moving his team from Dallas. And so from the Braman experience, I do respect a NFL owner who is a solid member of their community.

    Now for the football problem of Jerry. Firstly if he hadn't fortunately hired Jimmy Johnson, i have no doubt that he would have never won a Super Bowl. To cut to the chase, his major flaw is he is a shining example of the old saying that a little bit of knowledge is dangerous. He thinks he knows the intricacies of building a championship team, but in reality he doesn't. I could probably do a detailed dissertation on this, but I'll end it here.

    Suffice to say that a long time ago, Jerry should have admitted his flaws, worked to hire a competent GM, and the head coach and assistants he hired to just let them coach and leave them alone. Find the best people, and then stay the yell out of the way. All great CEO's of successful companies do it this way and it works. But Jerry with his gigantic ego, just can't stop sticking his nose in everything where it doesn't belong.

    His commitment to Dallas, and to spending money usually gets his team into a contending position which is fine. But then Jerry always finds various ways to muck it up. He just couldn't stand anyone else possibly getting the lion's share of the credit for a Super Bowl win, therefore he doesn't get any, except for the Jimmy Johnson built teams.

    Steve was Braman the car dealership guy?

    Yes.

    I had no idea he owned the Eagles, I just always associated Braman with all the car dealerships all over south Florida growing up. I believe there are still some around if I'm not mistaken. Guess I never paid attention to NFL owners back then, I just always seem to remember Lurie as their owner.

  • stevekstevek Posts: 27,461 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @fergie23 said:
    McCarthy has three consecutive 12 win seasons and Jones managed to put together one of the best rosters in football. Love them or hate them, the issue the last few seasons isn't really with Jones or McCarthy.

    Honestly, the game was lost by Prescott in the first 4 drives of the game. Sure the defense didn't play particularly well but an early score by the Cowboys offense would have settled everyone down IMO. It is remarkable watching these playoff games and seeing how quickly things can snowball out of control.

    Robb

    Technically Dak threw two pic-sixes in the first half of the game. One was called back because the refs ruled the player was down after the interception. A close but accurate call by the ref.

    I don't recall the worst rookie QB doing that twice in the first half of a game, although maybe it has happened.

  • galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,053 ✭✭✭✭✭

    and since we're talking about fraudulent Cowboys, let's be fair and not limit it to Dak Prescott, who clearly is

    but Micah Parsons has a deserving place in this conversation. he is supposed to be arguably the biggest disruptor in all of football, but any time the Cowboys get their asses handed to them he's nowhere to be found

    a grand total of 2 tackles yesterday and a single QB hit. no sacks, no tackles for a loss, his name was mentioned fewer times than Taylor Swift's was the night before, a total nonfactor in the biggest game of the season

    dude is supremely overrated

  • stevekstevek Posts: 27,461 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @galaxy27 said:
    and since we're talking about fraudulent Cowboys, let's be fair and not limit it to Dak Prescott, who clearly is

    but Micah Parsons has a deserving place in this conversation. he is supposed to be arguably the biggest disruptor in all of football, but any time the Cowboys get their asses handed to them he's nowhere to be found

    a grand total of 2 tackles yesterday and a single QB hit. no sacks, no tackles for a loss, his name was mentioned fewer times than Taylor Swift's was the night before, a total nonfactor in the biggest game of the season

    dude is supremely overrated

    Yea, this Micah Parsons basically anointed himself a hall of famer shortly after he got into the league.

    Perhaps one day he may get there, but not off yesterday's performance.

  • stevekstevek Posts: 27,461 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @LandrysFedora said:

    @stevek said:

    @LandrysFedora said:

    @stevek said:

    @LandrysFedora said:
    My days of epic meltdowns ended years ago. As long as Jones owns this team this is now expected on a yearly basis. He sells hype and snake oil and that's all it is in the end.

    LandrysFedora is a great sports fan, and we are both fans of Tom Landry, so I'll back off from my usual Cowboys smack just for this one post, and extoll some virtues about Jerry Jones.

    Credit where credit is due, Jerry does love his team, and makes a commitment to Dallas such as building a magnificent new stadium some years back. Hype and snake oil, yes, but in my opinion there's love behind it, if that makes sense.

    Which leads up to my main point. I'm not going to regurgitate the long story behind it, but the Eagles once had an owner, Norman Braman, who seriously considered moving the Eagles out of Philadelphia, either to New Jersey or possibly to a totally different geographical area. Really for no good reason. I mean ticket sales were always brisk, attendance always robust, and of course enthusiasm for the team throughout the local area was second to none. Yet this wealthy punk was considering moving the team. I bring it up only because I don't think Jerry would even contemplate moving his team from Dallas. And so from the Braman experience, I do respect a NFL owner who is a solid member of their community.

    Now for the football problem of Jerry. Firstly if he hadn't fortunately hired Jimmy Johnson, i have no doubt that he would have never won a Super Bowl. To cut to the chase, his major flaw is he is a shining example of the old saying that a little bit of knowledge is dangerous. He thinks he knows the intricacies of building a championship team, but in reality he doesn't. I could probably do a detailed dissertation on this, but I'll end it here.

    Suffice to say that a long time ago, Jerry should have admitted his flaws, worked to hire a competent GM, and the head coach and assistants he hired to just let them coach and leave them alone. Find the best people, and then stay the yell out of the way. All great CEO's of successful companies do it this way and it works. But Jerry with his gigantic ego, just can't stop sticking his nose in everything where it doesn't belong.

    His commitment to Dallas, and to spending money usually gets his team into a contending position which is fine. But then Jerry always finds various ways to muck it up. He just couldn't stand anyone else possibly getting the lion's share of the credit for a Super Bowl win, therefore he doesn't get any, except for the Jimmy Johnson built teams.

    Steve was Braman the car dealership guy?

    Yes.

    I had no idea he owned the Eagles, I just always associated Braman with all the car dealerships all over south Florida growing up. I believe there are still some around if I'm not mistaken. Guess I never paid attention to NFL owners back then, I just always seem to remember Lurie as their owner.

    You're right, that's where Braman made his money. I haven't kept track of him, no interest, I don't even know if he's still alive or not? If he has passed and at his funeral, I'm sure no Eagles fans attended. LOL

  • stevekstevek Posts: 27,461 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @stevek said:

    @LandrysFedora said:

    @stevek said:

    @LandrysFedora said:

    @stevek said:

    @LandrysFedora said:
    My days of epic meltdowns ended years ago. As long as Jones owns this team this is now expected on a yearly basis. He sells hype and snake oil and that's all it is in the end.

    LandrysFedora is a great sports fan, and we are both fans of Tom Landry, so I'll back off from my usual Cowboys smack just for this one post, and extoll some virtues about Jerry Jones.

    Credit where credit is due, Jerry does love his team, and makes a commitment to Dallas such as building a magnificent new stadium some years back. Hype and snake oil, yes, but in my opinion there's love behind it, if that makes sense.

    Which leads up to my main point. I'm not going to regurgitate the long story behind it, but the Eagles once had an owner, Norman Braman, who seriously considered moving the Eagles out of Philadelphia, either to New Jersey or possibly to a totally different geographical area. Really for no good reason. I mean ticket sales were always brisk, attendance always robust, and of course enthusiasm for the team throughout the local area was second to none. Yet this wealthy punk was considering moving the team. I bring it up only because I don't think Jerry would even contemplate moving his team from Dallas. And so from the Braman experience, I do respect a NFL owner who is a solid member of their community.

    Now for the football problem of Jerry. Firstly if he hadn't fortunately hired Jimmy Johnson, i have no doubt that he would have never won a Super Bowl. To cut to the chase, his major flaw is he is a shining example of the old saying that a little bit of knowledge is dangerous. He thinks he knows the intricacies of building a championship team, but in reality he doesn't. I could probably do a detailed dissertation on this, but I'll end it here.

    Suffice to say that a long time ago, Jerry should have admitted his flaws, worked to hire a competent GM, and the head coach and assistants he hired to just let them coach and leave them alone. Find the best people, and then stay the yell out of the way. All great CEO's of successful companies do it this way and it works. But Jerry with his gigantic ego, just can't stop sticking his nose in everything where it doesn't belong.

    His commitment to Dallas, and to spending money usually gets his team into a contending position which is fine. But then Jerry always finds various ways to muck it up. He just couldn't stand anyone else possibly getting the lion's share of the credit for a Super Bowl win, therefore he doesn't get any, except for the Jimmy Johnson built teams.

    Steve was Braman the car dealership guy?

    Yes.

    I had no idea he owned the Eagles, I just always associated Braman with all the car dealerships all over south Florida growing up. I believe there are still some around if I'm not mistaken. Guess I never paid attention to NFL owners back then, I just always seem to remember Lurie as their owner.

    You're right, that's where Braman made his money. I haven't kept track of him, no interest, I don't even know if he's still alive or not? If he has passed and at his funeral, I'm sure no Eagles fans attended. LOL

    Norman Braman
    Born August 23, 1932 (age 91)

    The little bastige is still alive. 😆

  • 2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,230 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Ok now I can talk trash. 9 All-Pros and not one Pro showed up for Dallas. Beat up in bad teams and crowned themselves a real team until they played a real team. 49ers, Bills and a 7 seed? Embarrassing

    W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Alfonz24Alfonz24 Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

    #LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.
  • coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,668 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 16, 2024 8:51AM

    Now that is a real NFL frown...

    Not optimistic that a moment of silence or even Rudy Vallee's Victor recording of "Life Is Just A Bowl of Cherries" will help

    Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

  • Alfonz24Alfonz24 Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

    #LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.
  • 2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,230 ✭✭✭✭✭

    NFC East and so far the AFC North have failed to show up in the playoffs. I’m beginning to think the Ravens might be susceptible also.

    W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @2dueces said:
    NFC East and so far the AFC North have failed to show up in the playoffs. I’m beginning to think the Ravens might be susceptible also.

    Wonder if the 2 week break will work against Baltimore.

    Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
Sign In or Register to comment.