Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Carson City Complete Set

After many years, I completed the 110 coin Carson City set (missing only the unique 1873 no arrows dime). I did mine a little different, and targeted XF45 as the grade I generally wanted. Some coins are a little higher, and some are a little lower.

As to the overall challenge, I believe that I am the fourth person in history to complete this set after Eliasberg (111 coins), Battle Born (111 Coins), D.L. Hansen (110 coins).

Highlights:

• 1876 cc 20c in XF details
  • 1873 cc 25c without arrows in F details (one of five known)
  • 1870 cc $5 in P45+ CAC
  • 1870 cc 25c in P40 CAC
  • 1870 cc $10 in P40
  • 1870 cc $20 in P30

I put together an album for sharing:
https://pcgs.com/setregistry/u-s-coins/complete-sets/carson-city-complete-set-major-varieties-circulation-strikes-1870-1893/album/213824

Comments

• Options
    winestevenwinesteven Posts: 4,088 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congratulations! Great job, beautiful set!

Steve

A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!!!

My collecting “Pride & Joy” is my PCGS Registry Dansco 7070 Set:
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/design-type-sets/complete-dansco-7070-modified-type-set-1796-date/publishedset/213996
  • Options
    GoBustGoBust Posts: 586 ✭✭✭✭✭

What an achievement! So very tough and no doubt real focus and dedication. Congratulations!

• Options
    justindanjustindan Posts: 698 ✭✭✭✭✭

Incredible. Just the double eagles is quite impressive.

• Options
    semikeycollectorsemikeycollector Posts: 932 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 14, 2024 5:51PM

I viewed your set with extreme fascination! It is just the toughest of the tough from so many series.
    So many high grade choice coins. Each would be a centerpiece of a single set!

I collect Liberty Seated Coins and Liberty Gold coins, I have a great appreciation of what you have assembled!
    It made my day, probably my year so far!
    Great job!

Ken

• Options
    CrepidoderaCrepidodera Posts: 279 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congratulations, what a great set!

Doug

• Options
    alaura22alaura22 Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭✭✭

WOW, Wonderful set
    Congrats

• Options
    SametsSamets Posts: 109 ✭✭✭

Wow indeed!

• Options
    WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,355 ✭✭✭✭✭

Impressive.
    Such devotion putting this set together.
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options
    SethChandlerSethChandler Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭✭

Amazing. That is quite an accomplishment! Congratulations.

Collecting since 1976.
  • Options
    JW77JW77 Posts: 461 ✭✭✭✭✭

I enjoyed looking through your album. That is quite the accomplishment!

• Options
    baseballjeffbaseballjeff Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭

Awesome coins!

How did you put that album together?

• Options
    rnkmyer1rnkmyer1 Posts: 525 ✭✭✭✭✭

Whoa, FABULOUS set & a great achievement! CONGRATS! What a hunt this must have been!

“The thrill of the hunt never gets old”

PCGS Registry: Screaming Eagles
    Copperindian

Retired sets: Soaring Eagles
    Copperindian

• Options
    CurrinCurrin Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭✭✭

Awesome! Congratulations!

My 20th Century Type Set, With Type Variations---started : 9/22/1997 ---- completed : 1/7/2004

My 20th Century Gold Major Design Type Set ---started : 11/17/1997 ---- completed : 1/21/2004
  • Options
    johnny010johnny010 Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 10, 2024 10:36PM

Nice accomplishment

Question from a novice: If the set is complete at 110 why do some have 111(assuming 1873 no arrows is optional?) as you mentioned or is there ambiguity in competition between 110 and 111?

Edited to add: are you still searching for coin 111?

• Options
    cccoinscccoins Posts: 287 ✭✭✭✭

@johnny010 said:
    Nice accomplishment

Question from a novice: If the set is complete at 110 why do some have 111(assuming 1873 no arrows is optional?) as you mentioned or is there ambiguity in competition between 110 and 111?

Edited to add: are you still searching for coin 111?

Number 111 is unique, and last sold for $3.6M in 2022. As such, it's just out of my league. Also, my set is roughly XF45, with no uncirculated coins, and an MS65 dime would not fit in.

• Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,868 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is an amazing accomplishment.

When working with a set like yours, do you ever consider 'upgrades' or is it just filling a spot with acceptable coin? When you have gotten all that you can feasibly get, are you done with that set?

• Options

@davewesen said:
    That is an amazing accomplishment.

When working with a set like yours, do you ever consider 'upgrades' or is it just filling a spot with acceptable coin? When you have gotten all that you can feasibly get, are you done with that set?

Yes, I have upgraded /downgraded many times. Sometimes by multiple points, sometimes by service, and sometimes by CAC sticker in the same grade. I was looking for a consistent look, but with some issues, there coin within the grade range is very scarce.

A perfect set for me would have been 110 coins in P45CAC. I think that I got to about 50 coins in P45CAC, and I think that is as close as I could reasonable get. That grade is prohibitive for the 1870 $10 and $20, and unavailable for the 1876 20c and 1873 NA quarter. This, like life, a set like this has some compromises.

Now that the set is complete, I am in the process of selling off portions. It’s amazing how long it was a priority for me, and the moment that it was complete, I was ready for the next challenge. Some coins I will keep - most of the gold, the 1876 cc 20c, and perhaps a few quarters.

• Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,868 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks, shooting for XF45 is probably an excellent goal since it is most likely prevalent and relatively 'economical' for many issues.

• Options

@davewesen said:
    Thanks, shooting for XF45 is probably an excellent goal since it is most likely prevalent and relatively 'economical' for many issues.

I agree. It moved me outside of the pricing pressures from the deep pocketed collectors.

• Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great effort! Not only are you enjoying it, but so are we!

WS

Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options
    CoinbertCoinbert Posts: 37 ✭✭✭

Great set! Congratulations and thank you for sharing.

• Options
    NeophyteNumismatistNeophyteNumismatist Posts: 899 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks, I really enjoyed that. When I saw the title, I was thinking Morgan Dollars (which would have been cool).... but this is soooo much more. Next level, and I love it!

I am a newer collector (started April 2020), and I primarily focus on U.S. Half Cents and Type Coins. Early copper is my favorite.

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,544 ✭✭✭✭✭

Never had the funds to shoot for the CC moon. Congratulations for sure.
    I've done three CC morgan sets and damn, I may start another.
    Lowball
    and 50/53

XF is a great goal and as far as eye appeal, that's the cat's meow.

bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    Clackamas1Clackamas1 Posts: 773 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats that is quite the set. The dedication is truly remarkable.