Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Is CACG Non Legacy Worth More Than CACG Legacy?

2»

Comments

• Options
    DeplorableDanDeplorableDan Posts: 2,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

@fiftysevener said:
    Not real obvious in CAC website what Legacy is. Where can I find definitions CAC Legacy, NGC CAC Legacy, PCGS CAC Legacy, etc. What is CAC Legacy ? I own NGC CAC and PCGS CAC material, is it Legacy stuff ? Is it worth keeping anymore. Please we need some explanation. Or no maybe I need it ?

Did you see this on the website?

Founder- Peak Rarities
    Website
    Instagram
    Facebook

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭✭

Will CACG remove the “L” if asked?

• Options
    fiftysevenerfiftysevener Posts: 904 ✭✭✭✭

@DeplorableDan said:

@fiftysevener said:
    Not real obvious in CAC website what Legacy is. Where can I find definitions CAC Legacy, NGC CAC Legacy, PCGS CAC Legacy, etc. What is CAC Legacy ? I own NGC CAC and PCGS CAC material, is it Legacy stuff ? Is it worth keeping anymore. Please we need some explanation. Or no maybe I need it ?

Okay thanks I missed that. So from that I take it that my NGC and PCGS coins that are Stickered are really not Legacy coins until they are graded CACG correct ?

• Options

@fiftysevener said:

@DeplorableDan said:

@fiftysevener said:

Okay thanks I missed that. So from that I take it that my NGC and PCGS coins that are Stickered are really not Legacy coins until they are graded CACG correct ?

Correct, but as long as they were stickered in the specified time frame they will qualify as Legacy when/if they do cross.

Founder- Peak Rarities
    Website
    Instagram
    Facebook

• Options

@cameonut2011 said:
    Will CACG remove the “L” if asked?

I would think you can just regrade, I'm not sure though.

Founder- Peak Rarities
    Website
    Instagram
    Facebook

• Options

@DeplorableDan said:

@fiftysevener said:

@DeplorableDan said:

@fiftysevener said:

Correct, but as long as they were stickered in the specified time frame they will qualify as Legacy when/if they do cross.

I guess it's no big deal but I assume my coins stickered after June 5th 2023 would qualify as Legacy as well. After some thought this makes sense to me. Whether in a PCGS CAC, NGC CAC or a CACG/L holder you still have 2 opinions designated on the holder.

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,426 ✭✭✭✭✭

@fiftysevener said:

@DeplorableDan said:

@fiftysevener said:

@DeplorableDan said:

@fiftysevener said:

I guess it's no big deal but I assume my coins stickered after June 5th 2023 would qualify as Legacy as well. After some thought this makes sense to me. Whether in a PCGS CAC, NGC CAC or a CACG/L holder you still have 2 opinions designated on the holder.

Based on the information posted on CAC’s website, I think your assumption is incorrect. What would be the point of their cutoff date if coins stickered after it were also granted the “L” designation?

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,746 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bidask said:

@coinkat said:
    Many economists have been predicting an impending recession for months if not years... that is mold news.

The real problem is the continuation in the belief that the TPG plastic and the stickers trump what can easily be learned from a reasonable look at the coin instead of the plastic. And the continuation of excluding the coin in favor of plastic from the discussion is equally problematic.

Not really ....

For many US coin collectors who remain less confident/experienced in their own grading ....stickers are enormously helpful .

As well as bidding on coins you can't view in person...

• Options
    robecrobec Posts: 6,677 ✭✭✭✭✭

@fiftysevener said:

@DeplorableDan said:

@fiftysevener said:

@DeplorableDan said:

@fiftysevener said:

No they would not. Coins stickered after June 5, 2023 would not get an “L”. I sent 6 PCGS coins in for crossover on the same submission. One of the six was stickered 9 days after the June 5 date. All coins received the “L” except for the coin stickered after the June 5 date.

• Options
    edited January 7, 2024 4:03PM

@fiftysevener said:

There are other CAC threads with all your answers as well as the CAC forum itself.

https://www.cacgrading.com/grading

Scroll down to the legacy section.

Coins with CAC stickers that are crossed to CACG slabs are eligible for the Legacy designation. That's it.

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@fiftysevener said:

There are other CAC threads with all your answers as well as the CAC forum itself.

Coins with CAC stickers that are crossed to CACG slabs are eligible for the Legacy designation. That's it.

That’s not it. CAC stickered coins aren’t eligible for the Legacy designation if stickered after June 5th of last year.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    robecrobec Posts: 6,677 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cameonut2011 said:

@FredS said:
    Many believe the "L" stands for NGC crossed coins. If those babies were in Fatty's, I'll buy the "L" all day long!

L is for legacy and indicates a crossover (at same grade) of a PCGS or NGC coin that was also stickered by CAC prior to June 2023.

The crossover is at the very least the same grade, but it could higher as well.

• Options

@MFeld said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@fiftysevener said:

That’s not it. CAC stickered coins aren’t eligible for the Legacy designation if stickered after June 5th of last year.

Yes, that's correct. But it's in the link I supplied and it didn't seem worth confusing the issue further. He seemed to think there were multiple different legacies which is what "that's it" was meant to refer.

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,734 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm sorry, but I must have been out walking the cat when this was explained.There's a difference between coins that CAC stickered before and coins that they are grading from scratch?

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    edited January 9, 2024 6:26PM

This is quite the mess over here. Would like to hear from JA about this.
    There should be no uncertainty on this subject.

• Options

@fiftysevener said:

What uncertainty are you speaking of?
    If you’d really like to hear from JA, you’ll need to go to a different forum.

• Options

@blitzdude said:

@fiftysevener said:

Is it worth keeping anymore? Absolutely not. Throw all your coins away immediately. If it doesn't have that little L sticker its trash. As they say If it's not CACs it must be craps. THKS!

Please send me your unwanted CAC stuff. I'll pay shipping and handling.> @MFeld said:

@fiftysevener said:

I can do more research Thanks. I've actually talked to JA a couple times myself.

• Options

@MFeld said:

@fiftysevener said:

You've already reminded us that not everything you read here is accurate. Just trying to make sense of the sequence of events at CAC so far. I can go to their forum.

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,783 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 25, 2024 10:42PM

Most in my coin club prefer the CACG slab vs stickered. And one that’s not Legacy (fresh). However vest pocket trader friend claims legacy trade at premium plus super investment buy! The new vaultbox. He wkg on box of 20 of them plus investor flyer 4 sales promo. How is that legacy premium determined? Know a ballpark percentage (tackon) they add to ask price?

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    GoldFinger1969GoldFinger1969 Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 26, 2024 4:21PM

@RLSnapper said:
    The mere fact that CACG felt the need to designate coins as" legacy" should tell you that tightening the screws in >grading was a part of their business model. Don't want anyone passing off an NGC MS65 CAC as a CACG MS65. >Obviously they are not the same....gotta add an L to let everyone know and more importantly to protect the market >for true CACG coins. What a bunch of crap! And for good measure we will detail grade PCGS cross over coins from >the dealers who are part of our inner circle to show just how tough we are. Gotta give JA his due.....a master class in >manipulating a market...well played.

I would just say that it would probably be best -- and fair -- for you or others to read JA's comments (I have) over at his place.

It's also instructive, IMO, to read his 2008 interview with Maurice Rosen discussing CAC stickering, and the more recent one in late-2022 with CoinWeek discussing CACG. I believe I posted a link to the latter here at CU, not sure about the former.

You read the 2 interviews and alot becomes clearer. His comments over at CAC are the icing on the cake.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file