Home U.S. Coin Forum

1874-S Trade Dollar w/ Chopmark

Hello friends, I am interested in this 1874 trade dollar with chopmark from an estate sale. It is a little pricey. I am just getting back into collecting. I have read these are heavily faked and I should stay away from one's that are not slabed already but I gotta start somewhere. Do you think it is legit and if so what grade do you see for it so I can make a fair offer. Thanks

Comments

• gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭✭✭

It appears genuine, but I would pass on it. At best its low AU cleaned.

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• TennesseeDaveTennesseeDave Posts: 4,726 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks genuine, but likely scrubbed in the past. Without any luster it shouldn't grade higher than XF. That's a very common date/mint combo that can be had for under $200 usually in that condition.

Trade $'s
  • 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,855 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cleaned. Pass unless VERY cheap which you indicate it isn't.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,059 ✭✭✭✭✭

Agree with cleaned, genuine, and XF.
    Not sure of the current market for trade dollars, but I’d be well south of $200 even without the chop mark.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pass (I'd wait for another) find someone at a good coin show, it's a start

• TomBTomB Posts: 20,612 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree with those who have stated it appears cleaned since there are pretty strong hairlines going in one direction on the obverse.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭✭✭

I question the chopmark

• there usually is abnormal wear on the area on the other side of the coin of the chopmark
    • chopmarks decrease value of coin
    • that with the cleaning becomes a hard pass for me as I ask myself if they are trying to hide authenticity
  • lermishlermish Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 30, 2023 8:36AM

Agreed that it is authentic. On a separate note, I don't feel really great about that chop. @OriginalDan @ChopmarkedTrades What are your feelings about the chop?

EDIT for clarity

• gonzergonzer Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

Portions of the chop appear to have been etched instead of 'chopped'.

• CryptoCrypto Posts: 3,346 ✭✭✭✭✭

That a chop for sure and while there has been a wipe in its past, I suspect the grey color and lightness is an over saturation of flash. I bet the different color halos on the rev have luster.

Considering the slight grace given to chopped coins I could see that in AU 50 chop mark holder. Either way it’s about a 325$ coin

• Apollo_23Apollo_23 Posts: 124 ✭✭✭

Thank you all for your assistance. I will pass then.

• OriginalDanOriginalDan Posts: 3,707 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting piece. The chops look period, but they also look carefully placed / grouped and I don’t see any reciprocal damage on the reverse. Could have been chopped for a special purpose. My take is it’s not anything being faked here, but may not be your regular trade related marks on this coin.

• tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,138 ✭✭✭✭✭

My goodness that’s a great chop. Well worth buying at a reasonable price just for the intricacy of the chop. The coin’s condition is secondary in this case

• AlanSkiAlanSki Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wonder what it says.

• ChopmarkedTradesChopmarkedTrades Posts: 493 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nothing really jumps out that suggests the coin is fake, it's one of the more common dates in average condition with hairlines, probably worth about $200-250 raw given the decent eye appeal. While the chops seem to overlap, there does seem to be a large, multi-character chop, which is unusual at that size.

• DDRDDR Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭✭✭

The chop is pretty neat but the coin is a dog.

If you are buying it for the chop, go ahead. If you are buying it just to have a chopmarked Trade Dollar, wait. You can get much nicer ones fairly easily.

Thanks again all. The bidding alone starts at $350.00. It is a hard pass but as others have mentioned, there are a bunch of questions about the chop

This one looks too good but double the price, cleaned ?

• ElmerFusterpuckElmerFusterpuck Posts: 4,611 ✭✭✭✭✭

That last coin screams fake.

• slider23slider23 Posts: 634 ✭✭✭✭

@ElmerFusterpuck said:

What are you seeing that screams fake? The coin has been harshly cleaned and there are a few bumps, but the date and mint mark are a close match to a known die pair.

@slider23 said:

@ElmerFusterpuck said:

What are you seeing that screams fake? The coin has been harshly cleaned and there are a few bumps, but the date and mint mark are a close match to a known die pair

Now that I saw that, it does look like the very first example with the gash next to the "D"

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file