Home Q & A Forum
Options

State Quarters

Hello all, I am new to collecting and new to the forums. I came across these quarters that were a gift to me over 20 years ago. They have stayed untouched in the binder in their protective covers. I have no idea if these have much value besides what is stamped on them. If I remember correctly, they were purchased from the mint. I don't know why the coins have that iridescent coloring on them. If you need better pictures, I am more than happy to take new ones. Any insight and knowledge is greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome to the forum! :)

The hologram colors were added after they left the mint and is considered by collectors as post mint damage.
    They are fun to look at or collect but don't have any extra numismatic value.

• Options
    GreenstangGreenstang Posts: 816 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 28, 2023 1:52PM

Welcome
    That set was created by a third party after it left the mint, looks like pad printing to create the colours.
    It was certainly not purchased from the mint like that.
    When these state coins first came out, they were also gold and silver plated as a way to sell them at a premium by third parties. They all have a numismatic value of 25 cents each now.

• Options

Thank you and thanks for the feedback! Looks to be enough for a cup of coffee if I decide to de-clutter.

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,793 ✭✭✭✭✭

All of the above is true, but if you like the look of them then that's a good enough reason to hold on to them. They do look kind of neat.

• Options
    JWPJWP Posts: 17,780 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some onlne companies placed holograms or colorized these quarters. Some collectors like them, some hate them, and the rest just consider them PMD. I have a few just to give away. My grandkids really like them. Personally, they are just an after mint product. Keep them if you like them.

USN & USAF retired 1971-1993
    Successful Transactions with more than 100 Members

• Options
    emeraldATVemeraldATV Posts: 4,086 ✭✭✭✭✭

Example of random oxidation.

• Options
    WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,355 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you don't want to keep them, give them to a youngster. :)
    You might create a new generation collector and by the way, welcome aboard @Lackerman
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...