Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

One card to purchase in the $1,500 - $2k range

ghooper33ghooper33 Posts: 308 ✭✭✭✭
edited December 22, 2023 7:49AM in Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Hi everyone - I love these types of discussions, and since I am in this situation after selling a bunch of $10 - $50 cards, I put it out to the PSA Forum Universe - what one ** card would **YOU purchase with a budget of $1.5k - $2k?

I know the most popular answer will be to "buy what you want", but I like to hear what others would do in this scenario. I have a couple of cards I am considering for me, but for my purchase I collect baseball, basketball, and non-sports from pre-war through modern.

Bonus topic: I have space in my closet for cards, and when it reaches capacity I sell cards so my collection doesn't sprawl out my defined space. Does anyone else sell when the physical size of your collection gets to big?

“We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then is not an act but a habit.” -Aristotle

Comments

• Options
    BBBrkrrBBBrkrr Posts: 962 ✭✭✭✭✭

For me I’d get the best Aaron or Clemente RC I could find in that range.

• Options
    82FootballWaxMemorys82FootballWaxMemorys Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 22, 2023 9:44AM

1973 Topps or OPC Willie Mays in PSA 9! A somewhat iconic card.

Willie is 92, while I hope he has another 30 or more good years left , sadly and logically that will not be the case. As when Hammerin' Hank sadly passed, Willie's cards will sublimate as well - especially the high grade.

Unless otherwise specified my posts represent only my opinion, not fact.

• Options
    EstilEstil Posts: 6,923 ✭✭✭✭

I'd never want to put all my eggs in just one basket like that...unless it was like the last one or two cards I needed to finish a set or something...

WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • Options

Julius Erving RC in an 8

• Options
    Chicago1976Chicago1976 Posts: 462 ✭✭✭✭✭

A 1954 Red Heart Mickey Mantle to finish my RH set. I think I could buy a PSA/SGC 3 or 4 in that range.

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,251 ✭✭✭✭✭

I strayed a bit from your budget, but I would choose one of these;

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,556 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would get a 2000 fleer showcase Brady rookie.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,286 ✭✭✭✭✭

For me,it would be either one of these two in the best conditioned low grade copy in that price range.
    My first choice would be a 5x7 Bulls Interlake that has him wearing the OG jordan sneakers and IIRC the last season of wearing that white Bulls jerseys before the team changed the Bulls lettering.

Choice two would be Mj's 4x6 1986 Sports Illustrated Test Sticker.

Both cards tend to sell a bit higher than that $1500-2K range but lower grade copies sometimes can sell in that range.

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,251 ✭✭✭✭✭

@craig44 said:
    I would get a 2000 fleer showcase Brady rookie.

I know you LOVE Tom Brady, BUT take a look at the QBs that were once considered goats, their card prices have plummeted.
    With Mr Mahomes on the scene, Tom's card prices could drop a lot.
    I am not spending this kind of money on any sport but baseball. $2,000.00 is a lot for me.
    Mantle is pretty much the safest bet.
    I would add this one if the OP is looking for something more recent;

Or;

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    edited December 23, 2023 3:55PM

Love the responses so far! A couple of the cards on my consideration list have been mentioned, and I had not thought about a Mays so he is on the list. Here is my list so far in no particular order:

• 1955 Topps Hank Aaron PSA 7
    • 1953 Topps Willie Mays PSA 3 (if this is possible for under $2k)
    • 1972 Dr J PSA 8
    • 2001 SP Authentic Albert Pujols PSA 9 (I had not thought of the Topps Traded card - it looks awesome)
    • 2001 Bowman Chrome Ichiro Refractor (I am in research mode on this card to see if the Japanese version is worth the extra cost)
    • I am also in research mode for a Bench rookie, and possibly a nice Bryce Harper rookie (don't tell my fellow Braves fans!)

Love the inspiration from this thread!

“We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then is not an act but a habit.” -Aristotle
  • Options

Since you included non-sports was thinking a Garbage Pail Kids Series 1 Blasted Billy or Adam Bomb is a great card to own. Or a nice Mars Attacks card, probably the best The Invasion Begins that 1500 to 2000 money would buy.

I will wait until my auction ends to suggest another card. 😁

• Options
    brad31brad31 Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mintonlypls said:
    I like the 1953 Bowman Color Mickey Mantle. It is a beautiful card in which Bowman introduced all-color photography. Very undervalued...

Here is my copy purchased during the last year:

Awesome card (as you always have!) but for $2K the OP would have to get a 3.5.

• Options
    mintonlyplsmintonlypls Posts: 1,751 ✭✭✭✭✭

Still a good buy in any grade IMHO…

mint_only_pls
  • Options

I would consider adding Wilt Chamberlain to the collection.

• Options
    miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 23, 2023 8:38AM

Depends if you're going for a personal collection item or speculation on an investment to flip, as I think the answer would be different.

For modern, not what I would necessarily end up with, but I'd at least strongly consider picking up one of the lowest serial numbered 2020 issues of Jude Bellingham that may fall in that price range. Anything /10 or fewer are certainly above that range, but you might be able to find something nice in the /15 to /25 range. The downside is that there are IMO just too many different cards issued at the same time so you don't end up with a clear cut winner as the favorite RC.

For PC, I'd probably personally choose one of the vintage soccer or hockey RC's I still need though.

• Options

@miwlvrn said:
    Depends if you're going for a personal collection item or speculation on an investment to flip, as I think the answer would be different.

Not what I would necessarily end up with, but I'd at least strongly consider picking up one of the lowest serial numbered 2020 issues of Jude Bellingham that may fall in that price range. Anything /10 or fewer are certainly above that range, but you might be able to find something nice in the /15 to /25 range. The downside is that there are IMO just too many different cards issued at the same time so you don't end up with a clear cut winner as the favorite RC.

This would be for my personal collection (but of course I would want it to go up in price).

I haven’t dipped my toe into soccer, as this wasn’t one if the main sports I watched growing up. Even though my main sports were baseball and basketball, I strongly considered adding a Tiger to the list.

I am going down a rabbit hole researching soccer players/cards, which was the whole point of this post for me, so thank you!

• Options

@UlyssesExtravaganza said:
    Since you included non-sports was thinking a Garbage Pail Kids Series 1 Blasted Billy or Adam Bomb is a great card to own. Or a nice Mars Attacks card, probably the best The Invasion Begins that 1500 to 2000 money would buy.

I will wait until my auction ends to suggest another card. 😁

Great suggestion, but I already own the Adam Bomb. I love the artwork on the Mars Attacks but I always thought it wouldn’t be achievable within my budget. Time for some research!

• Options
    1948_Swell_Robinson1948_Swell_Robinson Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 23, 2023 9:05AM

Here is another in your range that meets your critiers. It is considered Superman's RC.

Key RC's are your best bet then IMO in that price range.

PSA total population is only 186 cards ever graded. So you have scarcity on your side as well. Card #1 makes it condition sensitive, but since you can only get a "1" that doesn't matter as much.

• Options
    jraytayjraytay Posts: 125 ✭✭✭

If you're interested in cards with potential growth speculation in that range I'd suggest this one.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/256206429617

• Options
    yoda100yoda100 Posts: 37 ✭✭✭

I could use a nice 1954 Topps Willie Mays and that amount should get me a nice one. It's high on my list for 2024.

• Options
    lwehlerslwehlers Posts: 868 ✭✭✭✭✭

i want a nice 1967 topps tom seaver rookie in the price range of 1500 to 2000.

• Options

Ken Griffey Jr Desert Shield

• Options
    PillarDollarCollectorPillarDollarCollector Posts: 4,800 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pete Rose rookie.

Coin collecting interests: Latin America

Sports: NFL & NHL

• Options
    PillarDollarCollectorPillarDollarCollector Posts: 4,800 ✭✭✭✭✭

I know you don't collect hockey cards but an authentic 1966 Topps Bobby Orr would also be a great card to own.

Coin collecting interests: Latin America

Sports: NFL & NHL

• Options

@BBBrkrr said:

Cool to hear you already have the Adam Bomb. Great card and will try to go there myself someday. I agree with the above and would just cast a wider net. I'd strip the RC off of there and just say a nice Aaron Clemente in that price range. I would also throw Mays and Jackie Robinson in there. Just feels like any of those four in that price range is a desired card and should continue to be 5 10 20 years down the road. Just got a 56 Aaron PSA 7 myself and very pleased about that. Just didn't want to mention it while I was bidding on it. 😄 But I am a touch under your price range so you can shoot higher.

• Options

@UlyssesExtravaganza said:

@BBBrkrr said:

Cool to hear you already have the Adam Bomb. Great card and will try to go there myself someday. I agree with the above and would just cast a wider net. I'd strip the RC off of there and just say a nice Aaron Clemente in that price range. I would also throw Mays and Jackie Robinson in there. Just feels like any of those four in that price range is a desired card and should continue to be 5 10 20 years down the road. Just got a 56 Aaron PSA 7 myself and very pleased about that. Just didn't want to mention it while I was bidding on it. 😄 But I am a touch under your price range so you can shoot higher.

Oh man. That’s a sweet one. I have that in a 6 but am always eyeing those in any grade. Just love any of the Aaron’s.

Congratulations on that purchase.

• Options
    1948_Swell_Robinson1948_Swell_Robinson Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭✭

Lebron RC. Lebron is still playing and will be the leading scorer for decades. Plus he has different generations of fans. Even the kids who see him at the end of his career now will be a new generation of fans looking back at nostalgia 50 years from now. He has staying power.

His chrome RC in PSA 9 has been going for just over $1,000(down from the $4,500 it went for in Covid highs).

Or choose another of his key early cards and it is the same thing....maybe one that is a little more scarce.

• Options

Me? You talking to me? :D

Lotta great choices here but I personally would go for a base 58 or 59 Mantle in 5 or 6 that is centered.

• Options

I would stay away from superstars in PSA 5 or 6 and purchase the best PSA 9 hall of famer you can. I would much rather have a 74 Winfield, Carter, Rice, Echersley, Murray, or Ricky Henderson in PSA 9 than a Mays, Aaron, Mantle, Clemente in PSA 5 or 6.

• Options

Correction it should read a 74 Winfield, 75 Rice, 75 Carter, 76 Eckersley, 78 Murray, and 80 Hernderson in PSA 9. I would also add in a 72 Fisk in PSA 9.

• Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,244 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MantleMarisFordBerra said:
    Me? You talking to me? :D

Lotta great choices here but I personally would go for a base 58 or 59 Mantle in 5 or 6 that is centered.

Now, that’s a good recommendation.

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options

@Yankees70 said:
    I would stay away from superstars in PSA 5 or 6 and purchase the best PSA 9 hall of famer you can. I would much rather have a 74 Winfield, Carter, Rice, Echersley, Murray, or Ricky Henderson in PSA 9 than a Mays, Aaron, Mantle, Clemente in PSA 5 or 6.

Hey, I would get all those too!

• Options
    GoDodgersFanGoDodgersFan Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭

So many great options. I like the 2001 Topps Chrome Ichiro and Pujols PSA 10 in the $1500 range.

• Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1948_Swell_Robinson said:
    Lebron RC. Lebron is still playing and will be the leading scorer for decades. Plus he has different generations of fans. Even the kids who see him at the end of his career now will be a new generation of fans looking back at nostalgia 50 years from now. He has staying power.

His chrome RC in PSA 9 has been going for just over $1,000(down from the $4,500 it went for in Covid highs).

Or choose another of his key early cards and it is the same thing....maybe one that is a little more scarce.

Great advice Swell! I didn't realize the Chromes had come down that much. I will be saving for one.

My only concern is if the Lakers can make the playoffs. Right now there are on the outside looking in.

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options

@Cakes said:

@1948_Swell_Robinson said:

Great advice Swell! I didn't realize the Chromes had come down that much. I will be saving for one.

My only concern is if the Lakers can make the playoffs. Right now there are on the outside looking in.

They won the in-season tournament...I know it doesn't mean anything but they didn't get last. The West, as always, is deep with talent and I don't see the aged talent being able to stay healthy for the entire post season while needing to remain at their A game while the play gets more physical.

As much as I would love tonsee LeBron get 3 more rings...I just don't see it happening unless he gets lucky like Robery Horry...but you have to be clutch...Lebron is better in the 4th quarter than previous years.

Despite how his future goes, unless he gets involved in something bad for his reputation, his career point total will ensure he remains legendary and his card prices will take off over time.

• Options
    originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭✭

@mintonlypls said:
    I like the 1953 Bowman Color Mickey Mantle. It is a beautiful card in which Bowman introduced all-color photography. Very undervalued...

Here is my copy purchased during the last year:

Gorgeous copy! So much better than my G-VG one, but I am super pleased to have it. :smile:

• Options

But to answer the OP's question, it really depends on what speaks to you. Chasing someone fairly current, I think you can do better and pick up for a relative song 20 years from now, when some other stars are the flavor of that moment. Weird but seems to work that way. Meantime, I think getting an all-time great such as Jordan (I like his 2nd year fleer which like many is down from pandemic highs) or a Mantle that speaks to you (apart from his '51 or '52 topps) -- depending on your age, did you see him play? Maybe a card of his from the set you like of his best, etc. etc. Or Mays, Hank, Clemente. But overall ATG cards would seem to be the way I'd go. Good luck finding one that speaks to you!

• Options

For your bonus topic: Nah, I don't have a defined space per se. Stuff is kinda everywhere. But I like the notion! For me I'd love to expand a bit beyond the closet, in your example, and say "this small room." But like the idea!