Home U.S. Coin Forum

Philly Mint vs. Denver Mint

OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭✭✭

Let's take a survey.

With whatever experiences you have had with these two Mints over the years... In your personal and professional opinions, which mint produced the most major errors (real or intentionally manipulated), damaged coins in proof and mint sets, odd minor anomalies (grease filled dies, struck thru crap, clashes, die cracks, off center, etc..) and packaging errors. Basically, the most quality control issues.. Philadelphia or Denver?

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

Philly Mint vs. Denver Mint

Sign in to vote!
This is a public poll: others will see what you voted for.

Comments

• OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭✭✭

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 28,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Philadelphia

I went with Philly, they been around lots longer,fwiw

• CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,984 ✭✭✭✭✭

Obviously we are only talking the period 1906-date.

I have no intuitive feel one way or the other. Fred should know.

You might want to talk to collectors who collect a specific type of error by date and mint, such as @seanq with clips.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭✭✭

Calling @ctf_error_coins

He would know much better than I do.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947):

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

edited December 17, 2023 5:23PM

I forgot about @seanq

Let me call him. Oh, you already did. 😉

• ByersByers Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 18, 2023 9:41AM

Actually, your poll forgot San Francisco!

In my opinion and based on my PERSONAL experiences, addressing part of your poll questions, regarding unintentional and intentional error coins:

Mint State errors - Philadelphia 1999
    Proof errors- San Francisco 1973

There are other years but these two mints on those two specific years jump out.

mikebyers.com Dealer in Major Mint Errors, Die Trials & Patterns - Author of NLG Best World Coin Book World's Greatest Mint Errors - Publisher & Editor of minterrornews.com.
  • FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭✭✭

My comments were based on the pole between Philly and Denver –
    As you know, Mike, don’t get me started on San Francisco mint errors!

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,856 ✭✭✭✭✭

Since I am not an error collector, I am not qualified to answer that.

So far as the quality of the coins the two mints produce, they have both had their rough patches, but I think that since 1906, Philadelphia has made the higher quality coins,.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?

It's my fault, I'll take the hit. I probably shouldn't have been so specific. My intent here was just to get opinions on overall general quality control issues between the mints.

Fred- ok🤫🤫🤫

mikebyers.com Dealer in Major Mint Errors, Die Trials & Patterns - Author of NLG Best World Coin Book World's Greatest Mint Errors - Publisher & Editor of minterrornews.com.
  • SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,523 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Philadelphia

San Francisco errors are in a league of their own - intentional "errors" like the ca 1970 era quarter struck on a 1941 Canadian 25c coin.

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21

It was originally in a PF 65 NGC holder. It had a heavy film covering it after 50 years.

Lightly dipped to show more detail, it upgraded to PR 66 PCGS.

• cladkingcladking Posts: 28,525 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Philadelphia

@BillJones said:
    Since I am not an error collector, I am not qualified to answer that.

So far as the quality of the coins the two mints produce, they have both had their rough patches, but I think that since 1906, Philadelphia has made the higher quality coins,.

There's certainly some truth in this even for the moderns. While average quality for the Philly coins since 1965 is abysmal many of the very finest coins made are Philly mint.

And while Philly has more errors and problem coins the Denver mint has struck the majority of varieties and especially those in mint sets.

Tempus fugit.
  • gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,571 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Philadelphia

Most of my error coins are from Philly so thats my answer.

San Francisco in the 70's had the most intentionally made errors.

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• CRHer700CRHer700 Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Denver

Denver coins are weakly struck more often than Philadelphia ones in my opinion.

God bless all who believe in him. Do unto others what you expect to be done to you. Dubbed a "Committee Secret Agent" by @mr1931S on 7/23/24. Founding member of CU Anti-Troll League since 9/24/24.

• MartinMartin Posts: 926 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’d say Philly. Just ask Izzy Swift they forgot to give him a receipt for his 1933 twenties.

Then they made a whole bunch of 1955 cents with a messed up die.

And if that’s not enough the Denver mint tried to make them look bad with badly struck 1922 cents 😀😜

Just saying

Martin

• BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,474 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Philadelphia

The quality in general in all aspects is better at the Denver Mint. IMHOP.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • emeraldATVemeraldATV Posts: 4,494 ✭✭✭✭✭

Please excuse me from this poll,
    because "I'm from Philly,..................................."

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file