Home Sports Talk
«1

Comments

  • MaywoodMaywood Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I saw that, how credible is it??

  • perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,210 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I actually posted a link in the Patriots thread, different article so multiple sites are reporting this then I'm leaning towards believing this.

    It makes perfect sense, they are in a decent position for the draft and don't want him to destroy it.

    Good news in my opinion

  • MaywoodMaywood Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I'm not defending Belichick and I have no idea of anything that's taken place prior to this year or during this season "behind closed doors" with anyone in the New England organization. I only know what happened with the Patriots since Bill Belichick has been their Head Coach. Fans can argue ad nauseum about who was responsible for that(and I guess you guys have been for a while now) or what would have taken place with someone else running the show. But if this is how it ends then the organization and fan base need to do some soul searching. You guys just came off a 20 year run, probably unprecedented in the annals of professional sports and this is how it ends?? A secretly leaked report mid-season that the Head Coach will be fired at season's end??

    There's more at fault here than the Head Coach or the star QB leaving. The organizations, to me, got fat and lazy from their own success and got sloppy. The staff seems unmotivated and the players untalented. The owner has shown to be an unprincipled man with questionable morals.

    But yeah, it's a good idea to fire Belichick and hang everything around his neck. He seems to deserve better.

    2020 --- 7-9.
    2021 --- 10-7.
    2022 --- 8-9.

  • perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,210 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 13, 2023 4:32AM

    @Maywood said:
    I'm not defending Belichick and I have no idea of anything that's taken place prior to this year or during this season "behind closed doors" with anyone in the New England organization. I only know what happened with the Patriots since Bill Belichick has been their Head Coach. Fans can argue ad nauseum about who was responsible for that(and I guess you guys have been for a while now) or what would have taken place with someone else running the show. But if this is how it ends then the organization and fan base need to do some soul searching. You guys just came off a 20 year run, probably unprecedented in the annals of professional sports and this is how it ends?? A secretly leaked report mid-season that the Head Coach will be fired at season's end??

    There's more at fault here than the Head Coach or the star QB leaving. The organizations, to me, got fat and lazy from their own success and got sloppy. The staff seems unmotivated and the players untalented. The owner has shown to be an unprincipled man with questionable morals.

    But yeah, it's a good idea to fire Belichick and hang everything around his neck. He seems to deserve better.

    2020 --- 7-9.
    2021 --- 10-7.
    2022 --- 8-9.

    What are you talking about lol

    He deserves what? He singlehandedly turned the franchise into a disaster with his complete inability to draft talent, and whatever potential talent he brings in they get destroyed.

    Mac Jones has regressed so bad in his 3rd season he is benched at this point

    Who do you.think is responsible for unmotivated and untalented players? I can't stand Bob Kraft but it's definitely not him that's responsible outside of giving Belichick the keys to.the entire operation

    Belichick is the one who got fat and lazy thinking his football mind can keep the organization on the right track and his de valuing players and horrid personnel moves with the players and staff has blown up in his face.

    When he retires and comes back to Gillette for a red carpet celebration, he will get a standing ovation and loud cheering by all of us Pats fans for his service but for now we are in the business of what have you done for me lately, that's the NFL

  • MaywoodMaywood Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭✭✭

    :p

  • craig44craig44 Posts: 10,265 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I believe that BB was a great coach. He thought in the macro and was very adept at hiring great assistants and coaches to help develop players. I also think he was the Goat at watching/deciphering film. He was also a great game planner and was able to shut down two all-time offenses in SB's.

    I have also been convinced, in large part by reading this forum, that BB's time has passed. It sure seems he has aged out and cannot put in the time/concentration anymore. this will happen to all of us eventually. I also do not believe he has been a good evaluator of draft talent for at least 10 years.

    it is for those reasons I think it is time to move on from BB. Especially with the prospect of having a very high draft pick in the coming season.

    I appreciate what he did, but it is time for fresh blood. He had 3 seasons after moving on from the Goat to reestablish the team, and it has been regression each season.

    George Brett, Bobby Orr and Terry Bradshaw.

  • bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,961 ✭✭✭✭✭

    its not a disney movie , kraft is not going to fire himself :D

  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,373 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 13, 2023 6:19AM

    Bilichick was a very successful coach for many seasons. We could have expected a let down when Brady left. It takes time to rebuild. The trouble is, he's had three seasons to rebuild, and in the fourth season, the team is worse than ever.

    Connie Mack built a great team for the Philadelphia A's in 1929 and '30. Before that, he had built a great one in the 'teens. The trouble is he stayed around for too long. You don't get to stay in a responsible position forever because you did well years ago. Organizations have to keep moving. Eventually Philadelphia lost the team because it was bad and attendance fell.

    Bilichick deserves the thanks of the fans and a spot in the Hall of Fame. He does not deserve a permanent position.

    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • craig44craig44 Posts: 10,265 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Great post @BillJones couldnt agree more.

    George Brett, Bobby Orr and Terry Bradshaw.

  • stevekstevek Posts: 27,469 ✭✭✭✭✭

    The big question is will Kraft present Belichick with a nice parting gift such as a diamond studded, gold watch?

    My guess considering the past few seasons, is the watch will be gold plated with rhinestones. 😂

  • perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,210 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @stevek said:
    The big question is will Kraft present Belichick with a nice parting gift such as a diamond studded, gold watch?

    My guess considering the past few seasons, is the watch will be gold plated with rhinestones. 😂

    Kraft is too cheap

  • stevekstevek Posts: 27,469 ✭✭✭✭✭

    i think some here, if not many, would like to have a ticker tape parade for Bill Belichick.

    In celebration that he's leaving. 😆

  • craig44craig44 Posts: 10,265 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @stevek said:
    The big question is will Kraft present Belichick with a nice parting gift such as a diamond studded, gold watch?

    My guess considering the past few seasons, is the watch will be gold plated with rhinestones. 😂

    I think BK would be more likely to give BB a gift card for a years worth of "massages" at the Orchids of Asia...

    George Brett, Bobby Orr and Terry Bradshaw.

  • BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 7,816 ✭✭✭✭✭

    The old "what have you done for me lately" rears its head once again.

    Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • MaywoodMaywood Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Bill Belichick did enough from 2000-2019 to at the very least not be backdoor'ed by a rumored termination at seasons end that circulates on sports chat rooms.

  • perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,210 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 13, 2023 11:56AM

    @Maywood said:
    Bill Belichick did enough from 2000-2019 to at the very least not be backdoor'ed by a rumored termination at seasons end that circulates on sports chat rooms.

    I don't think he is being backdoored by anyone, especially Kraft if he was transparent enough to tell him after the November 12th Germany game that he was gone at the end of the season, that's a respectable notice

  • MaywoodMaywood Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @perkdog, when I read the report it didn't come across to me like they had a "sit down" or reached a mutual agreement. I understood things as Kraft had made a decision and it leaked to the media. If that's not accurate, then in true media fashion I retract my previous statement!! :)

  • stevekstevek Posts: 27,469 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I think we should all chip-in a dollar, and buy Bill a nice going away present.

    It's the right thing to do. 🎁

  • perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,210 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 13, 2023 2:31PM

    @Maywood said:
    @perkdog, when I read the report it didn't come across to me like they had a "sit down" or reached a mutual agreement. I understood things as Kraft had made a decision and it leaked to the media. If that's not accurate, then in true media fashion I retract my previous statement!! :)

    I probably have as much info as you do honestly, but I would assume they had a closed door conversation and someone in the know leaked it to the media.

    I highly doubt Kraft told someone and it leaked then he told Belichick but who knows, regardless I absolutely agree that no matter what Belichick deserves a classy exit by the organization and should have been informed way before the media caught wind of it.

  • I must compliment and bow to Perkdog. For I am a lifelong Bills fan.

    Pats had 20 solid years of torture on Buffalo. There is nothing else in sports, that I have experienced as brutal as that.

    Besides:

    • B.I.L.L.S - The 'Boy I Love Super Losing SuperBowls' thing.
    • Born and live in AZ where the ONLY thing here is the 2001 whack of the Yanks World Series.
    • I 100% want the Crapnals to leave Arizona.

    Compliments to 20 years perkdog perkies !!! You got that run to mock others forever.

    ( i remember 15 years ago I advised you those perkie chicks looked like horse faces. still think so.. heh )

  • perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,210 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 13, 2023 3:19PM

    @Ridethelightning said:
    I must compliment and bow to Perkdog. For I am a lifelong Bills fan.

    Pats had 20 solid years of torture on Buffalo. There is nothing else in sports, that I have experienced as brutal as that.

    Besides:

    • B.I.L.L.S - The 'Boy I Love Super Losing SuperBowls' thing.
    • Born and live in AZ where the ONLY thing here is the 2001 whack of the Yanks World Series.
    • I 100% want the Crapnals to leave Arizona.

    Compliments to 20 years perkdog perkies !!! You got that run to mock others forever.

    ( i remember 15 years ago I advised you those perkie chicks looked like horse faces. still think so.. heh )

    
    

    Thank You, its Always fun to see you post bud!!!

    I'm rooting for your Bills to get one 🍻

  • stevekstevek Posts: 27,469 ✭✭✭✭✭

    NFL coaches are hired to be fired. That with few rare exceptions, is a fact of life and every NFL coach knows it going into the job.

    Belichick is rich and famous. He will of course do just fine if he gets the ax. He does love the game and the action, so I would expect him to stay in the game in some way, shape, or form.

  • spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,427 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @BillJones said:
    Bilichick was a very successful coach for many seasons. We could have expected a let down when Brady left. It takes time to rebuild. The trouble is, he's had three seasons to rebuild, and in the fourth season, the team is worse than ever.

    Connie Mack built a great team for the Philadelphia A's in 1929 and '30. Before that, he had built a great one in the 'teens. The trouble is he stayed around for too long. You don't get to stay in a responsible position forever because you did well years ago. Organizations have to keep moving. Eventually Philadelphia lost the team because it was bad and attendance fell.

    Bilichick deserves the thanks of the fans and a spot in the Hall of Fame. He does not deserve a permanent position.

    Agree, they need a good qb to build, these are not always easy to find and that Jones guy? Nope. There are a few coming up in this draft, maybe NE goes for one of them.


    Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,210 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 13, 2023 7:05PM

    @spacehayduke said:

    @BillJones said:
    Bilichick was a very successful coach for many seasons. We could have expected a let down when Brady left. It takes time to rebuild. The trouble is, he's had three seasons to rebuild, and in the fourth season, the team is worse than ever.

    Connie Mack built a great team for the Philadelphia A's in 1929 and '30. Before that, he had built a great one in the 'teens. The trouble is he stayed around for too long. You don't get to stay in a responsible position forever because you did well years ago. Organizations have to keep moving. Eventually Philadelphia lost the team because it was bad and attendance fell.

    Bilichick deserves the thanks of the fans and a spot in the Hall of Fame. He does not deserve a permanent position.

    Agree, they need a good qb to build, these are not always easy to find and that Jones guy? Nope. There are a few coming up in this draft, maybe NE goes for one of them.

    They have to or the entire Patriots fan base will flip out,

    Jones needs to go to another team, he is damaged goods and needs a fresh start

  • MaywoodMaywood Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Someone in some NFL organization needs to ponder why so many of these "elite" college QB's are such dismal failures. It takes more to succeed in the NFL than a good college resume.

  • craig44craig44 Posts: 10,265 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 14, 2023 5:03AM

    the fan base is demanding a new QB. Back foot is broken and needs a fresh start as a backup for another team.

    George Brett, Bobby Orr and Terry Bradshaw.

  • erikthredderikthredd Posts: 7,897 ✭✭✭✭✭

    There was talk recently tht Belichick could end up calling games on Fox if Kraft fires him, that way he gets to keep his contract money (20+M/yr) while earning roughly 1M for each game he calls.
    If he does get fired, I don't see BB giving up all of that salary to go coach some random team for a fraction of the pay.

  • perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,210 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @erikthredd said:
    There was talk recently tht Belichick could end up calling games on Fox if Kraft fires him, that way he gets to keep his contract money (20+M/yr) while earning roughly 1M for each game he calls.
    If he does get fired, I don't see BB giving up all of that salary to go coach some random team for a fraction of the pay.

    OMG that sounds like the worst thing to have him call games, he is so dry and his personality is the opposite of what I'd expect to hear calling a game lol

  • erikthredderikthredd Posts: 7,897 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @perkdog said:

    @erikthredd said:
    There was talk recently tht Belichick could end up calling games on Fox if Kraft fires him, that way he gets to keep his contract money (20+M/yr) while earning roughly 1M for each game he calls.
    If he does get fired, I don't see BB giving up all of that salary to go coach some random team for a fraction of the pay.

    OMG that sounds like the worst thing to have him call games, he is so dry and his personality is the opposite of what I'd expect to hear calling a game lol

    I don't think that they could find a better NFL mind than Belichick,similar to having John Madden out there, but Yeah,i agree with the rest. Although if BB did take that job I'd bet we'd see him come out of his shell for once.

    The show that I listened to about this mentioned possibly having Brady & Belichick calling games together for Fox. SIgn me up for that lol.

  • craig44craig44 Posts: 10,265 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Um... BB calling games on tv. nope. ever heard his postgame pressers...

    George Brett, Bobby Orr and Terry Bradshaw.

  • perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,210 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @erikthredd said:

    @perkdog said:

    @erikthredd said:
    There was talk recently tht Belichick could end up calling games on Fox if Kraft fires him, that way he gets to keep his contract money (20+M/yr) while earning roughly 1M for each game he calls.
    If he does get fired, I don't see BB giving up all of that salary to go coach some random team for a fraction of the pay.

    OMG that sounds like the worst thing to have him call games, he is so dry and his personality is the opposite of what I'd expect to hear calling a game lol

    I don't think that they could find a better NFL mind than Belichick,similar to having John Madden out there, but Yeah,i agree with the rest. Although if BB did take that job I'd bet we'd see him come out of his shell for once.

    The show that I listened to about this mentioned possibly having Brady & Belichick calling games together for Fox. SIgn me up for that lol.

    Brady and Hoodie in the booth is something I'd absolutely have to tune into lol

  • BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 7,816 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @perkdog said:

    @erikthredd said:
    There was talk recently tht Belichick could end up calling games on Fox if Kraft fires him, that way he gets to keep his contract money (20+M/yr) while earning roughly 1M for each game he calls.
    If he does get fired, I don't see BB giving up all of that salary to go coach some random team for a fraction of the pay.

    OMG that sounds like the worst thing to have him call games, he is so dry and his personality is the opposite of what I'd expect to hear calling a game lol

    If he does take to announcing will he be required to wear his hoodie sweatjacket in the booth? :)

    Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • erikthredderikthredd Posts: 7,897 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @BLUEJAYWAY said:

    @perkdog said:

    @erikthredd said:
    There was talk recently tht Belichick could end up calling games on Fox if Kraft fires him, that way he gets to keep his contract money (20+M/yr) while earning roughly 1M for each game he calls.
    If he does get fired, I don't see BB giving up all of that salary to go coach some random team for a fraction of the pay.

    OMG that sounds like the worst thing to have him call games, he is so dry and his personality is the opposite of what I'd expect to hear calling a game lol

    If he does take to announcing will he be required to wear his hoodie sweatjacket in the booth? :)

    Nope but his contract would have a stipulation that he needs to wear this helmet during every game. 😉

  • stevekstevek Posts: 27,469 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @Maywood said:
    Someone in some NFL organization needs to ponder why so many of these "elite" college QB's are such dismal failures. It takes more to succeed in the NFL than a good college resume.

    Let's tell it like it is. I played football in high school. Most of my teammates weren't the brightest lightbulbs in the room. The highly intelligent athletes who were great with academics, at least in my school, they usually played soccer in the Fall.

    I don't know anything about Mac Jones personally, but he never struck me as being highly intelligent.

    In today's NFL, you've got to be highly intelligent, to be a top tier quarterback. These "athletic" college QB's who are savvy enough to avoid college defensive talent, but can barely retain a C average in their social studies major, in many cases the faster and more complex game of the NFL overwhelms them. And in the playoffs, when it gets even faster, they are a train wreck.

    Then there's the motivation factor. They sign a retirement contract for tens of millions of dollars right out of college. They are now rich - set for life. That has to reduce your incentive to have 300 pound linemen killers going after you to crush your body.

    Everyone and I mean everyone has their mental or physical limits on anything. Football in no exception. I recall some new kids trying out for the football team the first day of summer practice. They were all psyched up, ready to go, until they got hit. A number of them quit after the first day of practice.

    Perhaps a Mac Jones who did have a decent rookie season, he then mentally shut down from the punishment, and now is unable to perform at hardly a backup level. Coaches derogatorily call it happy feet when a QB would rather get rid of the football early and risk an interception, rather than stay in the pocket and receive a brutal hit.

    There's so much that can go wrong with drafting a QB. The top coaches just seem to have a knack of choosing the right ones. Andy Reid without question is an expert at it. Bill Walsh was dam good at it, as was Tom Landry. Otherwise it's a crap shoot to a large extent.

  • burghmanburghman Posts: 794 ✭✭✭✭

    I’m not a Belichick fan at all, but he’s much more personable away from press conferences. He did something related to greatest players on the NFL Network and I was shocked that he was the same guy I’ve watched/heard during pressers and on the radio. I think he’s putting on an act in those things because he despises that he’s required to talk to the press and do interviews.

    Jim

  • bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,961 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @stevek said:
    The big question is will Kraft present Belichick with a nice parting gift such as a diamond studded, gold watch?

    My guess considering the past few seasons, is the watch will be gold plated with rhinestones. 😂

    no steve it will either be a shitty razor or a roll of paper towel holders , he gets deals on stuff like that , he knows a guy

  • Basebal21Basebal21 Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭✭

    @perkdog said:

    @erikthredd said:
    There was talk recently tht Belichick could end up calling games on Fox if Kraft fires him, that way he gets to keep his contract money (20+M/yr) while earning roughly 1M for each game he calls.
    If he does get fired, I don't see BB giving up all of that salary to go coach some random team for a fraction of the pay.

    OMG that sounds like the worst thing to have him call games, he is so dry and his personality is the opposite of what I'd expect to hear calling a game lol

    You could have the game on mute and it would be just as entertaining if hes calling the game

  • MaywoodMaywood Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @stevek said, among other things: Everyone and I mean everyone has their mental or physical limits on anything.

    I have a simple theory on football and the players, it has been my thinking for several decades now.

    --- Coming up in High School it isn't unusual for a player to be better than EVERYONE who's playing. That's on his team, his conference and in his state, everyone he'll compete against. Sometimes it isn't even close. Over 1 million boys play high school football in the US.
    --- When that same athlete arrives in college he finds he's still elite but that there are others who are also just as good as him due to normal growth and skill development. But he's still better. Over 73,000 young men play NCAA football.
    --- When he gets drafted into the NFL he is shocked!!! He's no longer the biggest, strongest, fastest baddest mo-fo who's playing, everyone is all those things. Just short of 1,700 men play NFL football at any given time.

    If we look at the top 15 QB's coming out every year in the draft maybe one will make it with any great degree of success. There will be 5-6 or maybe more who play well enough to be retained by teams for a few years, guys like Mac Jones, Sam Darnold and soon to be Bryce Young, but that's it because they just don't have the skill, intelligence or physical size to compete against a hoard of alpha males.

  • craig44craig44 Posts: 10,265 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @Maywood I like your thoughts on the matter. It is true that as the pond you play in gets smaller, it is much more difficult to stand out. that is why so few are all-time great players.

    George Brett, Bobby Orr and Terry Bradshaw.

  • MaywoodMaywood Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭✭✭

    A player who graduated from my HS almost 20 years after me stands out, Robert Smith. He set records in Ohio and was voted Ohio's Mr. Football in his junior and senior years. Highly recruited, he settled on Ohio State but only played for two seasons, focusing on Track and Field as well as his education(he a Doctor today). At that he was a standout RB for the Buckeyes and was drafted in the 1st round by the Minnesota Vikings. He played eight seasons and currently ranks 70th all-time in yards gained.

    Although he was an exciting RB with the Vikings and had some standout moments it's easy to trace his "decline" among other players. Here's a guy who couldn't be caught in High School, ran a 10.24 100 meters and gained almost 2,000 yards in two seasons at OSU, got drafted early and met the real world of professional athletes.

    I like your "pond" analogy!!

  • TabeTabe Posts: 5,905 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @burghman said:
    I’m not a Belichick fan at all, but he’s much more personable away from press conferences. He did something related to greatest players on the NFL Network and I was shocked that he was the same guy I’ve watched/heard during pressers and on the radio. I think he’s putting on an act in those things because he despises that he’s required to talk to the press and do interviews.

    He showed a lot of personality in his "A Football Life" episode as well. He's funny, personable, etc. The press conference stuff is totally an act.

  • MaywoodMaywood Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭✭✭

    The rumors are already swirling, Belichick to the Chargers!! :p

  • erikthredderikthredd Posts: 7,897 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @Maywood said:
    The rumors are already swirling, Belichick to the Chargers!! :p

    I could see the Giants dumping Brian Daboll and going after Belichick before this. Coaching the NYG would be Bill's dream job if he left the Patriots.

  • MaywoodMaywood Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @erikthredd, right now I'd think the NFL clubs that need a HC, or suspect via inside knowledge that BB is done, would be having meetings to make they don't "tamper" with him. But Belichick still has some life, so I bet there's franchises that are wondering how to get him or if it's even possible.

    Such drama in the no fun league. This will be media fodder until something happens.

  • perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,210 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 16, 2023 9:42AM

    @Maywood said:
    The rumors are already swirling, Belichick to the Chargers!! :p

    And that might not be a bad move, the Chargers on paper have a solid team but like always they just fall flat on their face.

    Staley obviously was awful and where the offense is pretty well set up Bill and his classic personal moves might benefit the team since it would be the defense that needs re tooling and he wouldn't have much of a chance to ruin the offense

  • Basebal21Basebal21 Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭✭

    @perkdog said:

    @Maywood said:
    The rumors are already swirling, Belichick to the Chargers!! :p

    And that might not be a bad move, the Chargers on paper have a solid team but like always they just fall flat on their face.

    Staley obviously was awful and where the offense is pretty well set up Bill and his classic personal moves might benefit the team since it would be the defense that needs re tooling and he wouldn't have much of a chance to ruin the offense

    It was pretty crazy to see an NFL team legitimately quit during their game with the Raiders. Its tough Herbert was hurt but the players gave up very early in that game

  • MaywoodMaywood Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I'm following the Vikings vs. Bengals game online, the injuries to all the starting QB's make some of the match-ups almost unbearable. Isn't it strange that almost 1 of 4 game one starting QB's are out and yet games happen which match two of those teams??

    Consider this: Thursday's game featured both QB's in the game were "relief pitchers" for Garoppolo and Herbert, today's the same with Cousins and Burrow out, Richardson is out for the Colts but surprisingly Picket will make the Steelers start --- and --- miraculously both game one starters are healthy for the Broncos vs. the Lions.

    How in the hell did that happen!!!

  • stevekstevek Posts: 27,469 ✭✭✭✭✭

    In my view this would be a sucker signing for the team owner. There are some examples of good NFL coaches, who were fired for various reasons, then went on to coach another team and did well. Belichick is actually one example. However I can't recall any who did this at age 72. Belichick would be 72 years old during the start of the next NFL season.

    In many professions, 72 years old isn't that old. Everyone can site examples of this, even in their own families. But 72 is old, very old for an NFL head coach, and considering the personality of Belichick, it is ancient and worn out.

    Rather than take on the arduous task of coaching another football team, Belichick should be thankful for the great career he has had, and ride off into the coaching sunset. He loves the game, and I'm not saying he couldn't stay in football in some other capacity, but head coach shouldn't be it.

  • MaywoodMaywood Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Now Kenny Picket is out due to surgery, so now there's the 3rd consecutive NFL game where the starting QB from game one of the season is out with an injury.

  • craig44craig44 Posts: 10,265 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @stevek said:
    In my view this would be a sucker signing for the team owner. There are some examples of good NFL coaches, who were fired for various reasons, then went on to coach another team and did well. Belichick is actually one example. However I can't recall any who did this at age 72. Belichick would be 72 years old during the start of the next NFL season.

    In many professions, 72 years old isn't that old. Everyone can site examples of this, even in their own families. But 72 is old, very old for an NFL head coach, and considering the personality of Belichick, it is ancient and worn out.

    Rather than take on the arduous task of coaching another football team, Belichick should be thankful for the great career he has had, and ride off into the coaching sunset. He loves the game, and I'm not saying he couldn't stay in football in some other capacity, but head coach shouldn't be it.

    yes, there are a lot of miles on old BB. he has been an active coach since back in the 70s

    George Brett, Bobby Orr and Terry Bradshaw.

Sign In or Register to comment.