Home U.S. Coin Forum

December 7, 1941 - a date which will live in infamy

DrDarrylDrDarryl Posts: 603 ✭✭✭✭✭

Share your 1941 dated coins, medals, or tokens?

Starting off with my Remember Pearl Harbor medal research collection.

https://coins.collectors-society.com/wcm/CoinCustomSetView.aspx?s=12054

Comments

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,891 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 7, 2023 5:38AM

It’s also Delaware Day when the state became the first to ratify the constitution in 1787. Peal Harbor overshadows it.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 6,774 ✭✭✭✭✭

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• coinkatcoinkat Posts: 23,034 ✭✭✭✭✭

This captured the moment

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,470 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is hard to imagine that who was once our GREATEST MORTAL ENEMY is now one of our BEST ALLIES,,,,,,,,,, my how times change.

GrandAm :)
  • 291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,286 ✭✭✭✭✭

There was also a second attack intended for Pearl Harbor on March 4, 1942. Two Kawanishi H8K Japanese Navy flying boats (later known by the allied code name "Emily") were tasked with bombing a repair facility at Pearl Harbor. They refueled from a Japanese submarine at French Frigate Shoals and then took off. Weather conditions and visibility were terrible. US P-40s sent to intercept the incoming aircraft couldn't find them. Both aircraft dropped their bombs. One set of bombs fell into the water and another landed near a high school miles from Pearl Harbor. None of the bombs did more than break some windows. The two flying boats then flew back to the Mariana Islands. The extremely long distance mission was a failure.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Some_of_itSome_of_it Posts: 131 ✭✭✭

Pearl Harbor Survivors Medal Antiqued Bronze were for presentation to those veterans of the U.S. Armed Forces, or their next of kin, who defended Pearl Harbor and other military installations in Hawaii against attack on December 7, 1941. Medals were not sold to the public. 30,651 were shipped as of September 30, 1992.

• coinercoiner Posts: 431 ✭✭✭

My uncle was at Pearl on the U.S.S. Solace AH-5 - a hospital ship not damaged on that day. He was aboard that ship for the duration of the war—saw every major battle location in the Pacific and all the wounded being brought aboard.
    He was in the Pearl Harbor Survivors organization and travelled back to Pearl for many association remembrances on Dec 7th. A tough man, when he talked about that day his eyes would fill up with tears, especially later in life, he died 13 years ago.
    RIP Uncle Ort and thank you for your service.

• 1northcoin1northcoin Posts: 4,203 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1northcoin said:
    Pearl Harbor today as we looked back from the Arizona Memorial's ferry to the permanently moored U.S.S. Missouri.

The consequent War Effort as Memorialized at the Nevada State Museum which was formerly the Carson City Mint:

In one way or another each of us, through our individual legacies, have been impacted by the aftermath of that December 7th day of 1941 which as stated in the words of the then President, "lives in infamy." Like many others, my own father in his personal history described the impact of that day on his decision to defend his Country.

He wrote, "After Pearl Harbor Day, I decided that i would prefer to serve my country in the Navy." At the time he lived on a ranch near Elko, Nevada. He enlisted in the Navy in Salt Lake City. It was during his service that he met my mother at church in Chicago where he was spending nine months in aviation metalsmith school which was located on Chicago's Navy Pier.

I, my siblings, and our progeny would not be here today but for Pearl Harbor.

• WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 9,262 ✭✭✭✭✭

@OAKSTAR said:

@Walkerfan said:
    My uncle was there and survived. He passed away from cancer over a decade ago. I still think of him and the other American heroes, every year, on this date.

When asked why the Japanese attacked Pearl Harbor; The Japanese admiral said:

That always stuck with me....Don't mess with the U.S.A.!!

Yamamoto: I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve.

Indeed!

Sometimes, it’s better to be LUCKY than good. 🍀 🍺👍

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947):

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• flyguyflflyguyfl Posts: 127 ✭✭

@SanctionII said:
    Per DrDarryl's request.

Nice. I saved a 1941 dime and penny.

• goldengolden Posts: 9,500 ✭✭✭✭✭

My grandfather was born on December 7,1891. Relatives and friends were having a 50th birthday party for him, after church, at his house on December 7,1941. When they heard the news, a nephew who was in the army, had to leave to report for duty.

• Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,507 ✭✭✭✭✭

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• coinercoiner Posts: 431 ✭✭✭

If some weren’t aware, survivors that saw duty onboard the Arizona can be interred there upon their death.
    From NPS:
    USS Arizona Interments

A total of 334 crewmembers survived the USS Arizona sinking. Some of them have chosen to be interred on the USS Arizona upon their death.

Only USS Arizona survivors can be interred on the USS Arizona. Pearl Harbor survivors can have their ashes scattered over Pearl Harbor.
    The memorial service and interment of deceased USS Arizona Survivors is conducted on the USS Arizona Memorial. The service includes a committal service, interment, rifle salute, TAPS, flag presentation, and plaque presentation.
    The urns of the deceased are placed in the well of barbette no. four.

• Cranium_Basher73Cranium_Basher73 Posts: 3,149 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lou Conter, 102, is the last living survivor of the Arizona.

Throw a coin enough times, and suppose one day it lands on its edge.

• BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,702 ✭✭✭✭✭

So many war remembrances. Too many. But we honor those who served/perished, as we must.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 12,028 ✭✭✭✭✭

I read a news report last night which show a picture of only living crew member of the Arizona. He is 102 years old.

I wonder how he feels being the only crew member left.

We've all seen the film of the Arizona explosion. That film is backwards. The vantage point is from a hospital (I think) ship on the other side of Ford Island.

If you pause the the film you can see some other events happening.
    Less than a second before the explosion. You can see the mainmasts of the Tennessee and West Virginia. The WV has a big list and is in danger of capsizing after being hit by 7 torpedoes.
    If you zoom in on the extreme left of the picture, you can see the mainmast of the Oklahoma which capsized after getting hit by 9 torpedoes. At the edge of the fireball is the superstructure and foremast of the Tennessee.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file