Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

A book on the top 100 Latin American coins

Would be a great book in my opinion to get people unfamiliar and the familiar to gain knowledge. And more possible interest in these series. Just like the top 100 books on US, Canadian, Ancients coins.

I hope one day such a book gets published I think it would help the hobby a lot. I would have to have images of each coin and description (details and rarity). Recent auction sale results if any as well.

Coin collecting interests: Latin America

Sports: NFL & NHL

Comments

• Options
    PillarDollarCollectorPillarDollarCollector Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 6, 2023 11:30PM

I wish I could do such a project but I am not sure what 100 coins would be the best and I am not the right person at the moment knowledge wise to take on such a project.

I think I will reach out to Brad Yonaka and see what he thinks of such a project. He seems to be the main guy these days writing newer books on Latin American coins. Would be nice to see some of you vets get involved if there is interest I mean.

• Options
    WCCWCC Posts: 2,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't own it but have seen the entries included in the Top 100 world coins book. I disagree with many of the entries, as I infer the author's attempted to include coins which are affordable to a noticeable segment of the collector base.

• Options
    bosoxbosox Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭✭

I disagreed with several of the one cent coins in the Canadian book. Books like that are very subjective.

Numismatic author & owner of the Uncommon Cents collections. 2011 Fred Bowman award winner, 2020 J. Douglas Ferguson award winner, & 2022 Paul Fiocca award winner.

http://www.victoriancent.com
  • Options
    bosoxbosox Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 20, 2023 11:02AM

Agreed, it does not matter. Harvey asked me for a list of the one-cent coins I thought should be included and for comments for the ones on his list. In the end, he went mostly with the ones for which he could get photos from the National Currency Collection.

Numismatic author & owner of the Uncommon Cents collections. 2011 Fred Bowman award winner, 2020 J. Douglas Ferguson award winner, & 2022 Paul Fiocca award winner.

http://www.victoriancent.com
  • Options

Brad Yonaka got back to me:

Hi,

I thought about that but it would rely heavily on images that I can't take myself, so there would be a lot of permission requests. Still, it would be an interesting project and is always in the back of my mind.

Brad

• Options

@PillarDollarCollector said:
    Brad Yonaka got back to me:

Hi,

I thought about that but it would rely heavily on images that I can't take myself, so there would be a lot of permission requests. Still, it would be an interesting project and is always in the back of my mind.

Brad

I am sure many here would be willing to help with images? I would love to see this project gain steam.

• Options
    edited December 31, 2023 12:28PM

I wonder if a GoFundMe would help Brad get this project rolling. I will ask him. I would for sure donate to such a project.

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,882 ✭✭✭✭✭

What would be the contenders for the top 10?

• Options
    edited December 31, 2023 1:00PM

@Boosibri said:

I with my limited knowledge would put the milled 1732 from Mexico there with the first 8 reales from 1538 as well. Maybe some of the Chile and Columbia early pillars. I would most likely put that 1538 as #1 in the top 100. Some gold coins would have to be on the top 100 as well as some patterns and other coins made with different metals. I would add some famous error coins as well like the 1287 8 reales Ga FS error. The very rare 1751 minor reales from Peru as well.

What would you put?

• Options

• Options

@Boosibri said:

A few candidates on my list:

Mexico Carlos & Johanna 8R (such as in the post above)
    Peru Carlos & Johanna 8R (pictured as Sellshopp Lot #1)
    At least one royal gold escudo denomination from Mexico and/or another Mint if any exist.
    One but probably not more pillar dollars. 1751 Peru, one from Columbia, one from Chile, or the 1732 Mexico.
    One of the Chile Volcano Peso dates, such as your 1828.
    1760 Chile 4R
    Maybe one of the Mexico Cap & Ray 8R patterns in the Millinia collection if I remember it correctly.

I'm not that familiar with Republic coinage from some countries, especially Brazil. Also don't follow colonial portrait gold much.

• Options

I wonder if a GoFundMe would help Brad get this project rolling. I will ask him. I would for sure donate to such a project.

I'd prefer he write a reference covering the other mints to complement the one he did on the Mexican portrait coinage. I'd also prefer an update to the Pillar reference covering the subsidiary mints or at least the ability to buy the currently published one in hard copy.

• Options

What I will do is put a list together once members here give their opinions then had it over to Brad Yonaka.

• Options
    kruegerkrueger Posts: 807 ✭✭✭
    edited December 31, 2023 5:02PM

El Salvador peso 1896 so scarce lots of counterfeits.
    1914 type 1 smaller bust. Not the so-called narrow right shoulder labeled slabs. Bogus !
    I have the complete set 1892 to 1914 NGC Registry set #2 by a hair 6 pop tops.
    Collected these for 35 years !

• Options

Here are some quick thoughts on various countries in no particular order with the only qualifying factor that they must be minted in Latin America which excludes certain proof strikings and patterns:

Argentina:
    1813 8 Escudos
    1840-R Rebel Peso

Colombia
    1819 8R
    A Pillar 8R

Chile:
    1822 Chiloe (I’m
    Biased)
    1828 Coquimbo Peso (Fine type)
    1817 No Assayer
    1826 Peso (unique)
    1760 4R, Pillar 8R

Ecuador:
    1846 8 Reales
    1862 50 Francos

Guatemala:
    1754 or 1765 8 Reales (key dates)

Mexico:
    1732 8R
    1538 8R
    Royal 8E
    Royal 8R
    1866 Small letters

Peru:
    1825 Standing Liberty pattern
    1857 Pasco

Costa Rica:
    1831-CR E or F
    CAR 8E

• Options
    AbueloAbuelo Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Boosibri the 1866 small letters is likely a pattern (some disagree) so I would not include. But would include instead the 1866 Guanajuato. And for sure an 8E Hookneck.

• Options

@Boosibri said:
    Here are some quick thoughts on various countries in no particular order with the only qualifying factor that they must be minted in Latin America which excludes certain proof strikings and patterns:

Argentina:
    1813 8 Escudos
    1840-R Rebel Peso

Colombia
    1819 8R
    A Pillar 8R

Chile:
    1822 Chiloe (I’m
    Biased)
    1817 No Assayer
    1826 Peso (unique)
    1760 4R, Pillar 8R

Ecuador:
    1846 8 Reales
    1862 50 Francos

Guatemala:

Mexico:
    1732 8R
    1538 8R
    Royal 8E
    Royal 8R
    1866 Small letters

Peru:
    1857 Pasco

Costa Rica:
    1831-CR E or F
    CAR 8E

Too many Volcano Pesos in your list relative to other designs. The Volcano Peso isn't more significant to most collectors as a type than royals or pillars.

I'd also have zero die varieties in the list. There is also too much of that in the US version of the book. If patterns weren't struck locally, that's a reasonable exclusion. (None were in Bolivia to my knowledge.)

• Options

The 1914 Caballito peso would also make the list I would think.

• Options
    AchoriAchori Posts: 85 ✭✭✭
    edited December 31, 2023 10:19PM

Would be top rarities? Or top popular? There are some common pieces that are pricey or considered rare, because of their popularity and grade, but it doesn’t mean they are rare

• Options

@Achori said:

Would be top rarities? Or top popular? There are some common pieces that are pricey or considered rare, because of their popularity and grade, but it doesn’t mean they are rare

I just figured at least one Caballito would have to make the list so I figured the top one in that series. I think others could take its spot. It is not a money thing it is just the more important coin coin of that series.

• Options

@Achori said:

I just figured at least one Caballito would have to make the list so I figured the top one in that series. I think others could take its spot. It is not a money thing it is just the more important coin coin of that series.

My list is not perfect by any means just suggesting coins to see what others think as well.

• Options

@Achori said:

My list is not perfect by any means just suggesting coins to see what others think as well.

Got it! For caballito then I would say the 1909 Pattern Peso instead of the 1914

• Options

Probably would be better of top 100 Latin American crowns, then another one for minor denominations

• Options

How about adding an 1811 8 reales of Real de Catorce to the list?

• Options
    SimonWSimonW Posts: 635 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 1, 2024 11:29AM

I think this list would need to balance rarity, appeal of the issue (if all the coins that exist are crap…it would be harder to make the list.) Historical significance and possibly, intent of use. Would trial strikes make the list? Proof? What about medal Coinage, like the proclamation medals of Bolivia that were used extensively in trade as coins?

I have not included proof, medallic or trial strikes in this list, nothing post-1900, I didn’t include countermarks (maybe Chiloe is arguable.)

Absolute rarity is NOT the top priority here. Latin American coinage isn’t like US coinage where very few are actually truly rare. There are literally hundreds of issues in Latin America that have less than five known. My list would rely heavily on historical importance and how “interesting” it is, not just rarity. Some will be grouped as a single issue, like the Chiloe dollar, even though they were issued with various dates.

Here are a few items that I think should make the list, in no particular order:

1-Columbia, 1770 8 Reales, Nuestra Pillar del Señor hoard, 12-14 known,

Why? Because they’re rare, beautiful, a great story, historically interesting, and they are the epitome of a pillar dollar

2-Chiloe 1818-1825, very few known

Why? Last coin produced by the Spanish, historically very interesting and important (the coins kinda suck, which is the downside to these.)

3- Mexico 1536 3 reales,

First year coins were produced in the new world, Rare, a funky odd denomination experiment that didn’t work, seriously, who makes a coin that’s virtually impossible to make change with?! 😂.

4- Mexico “Hookneck” 1823 coins

Historically important, interesting, some really nice survivors, First coins of the republic I believe. (This could include all the hookneck guess.)

5-1733 Guatemala Cobs, pillar style

“Hey guys, we want you to start making round milled coinage, here are the dies we want you to use.” -Spanish Crown

“Yeah, we’re not doing that…” -Guatemala Mint

I think this first issue of Guatemala pillar cobs describes perfectly the state of the Guatemala mint under Spanish rule, raw, crude and inept. Things didn’t change for a long time. They’re also quite rare.

6-Argentina, 1813 8 Escudos

big, beautiful, rare, popular

I’ll add more later…

I'm BACK!!! Used to be Billet7 on the old forum.

• Options
    edited January 1, 2024 10:58AM

OK lets try this make a list of your top 20 coins lets start there. Then we can move on to the next 20 at a time. I will make a top 20 list as well and share it so we can all compare notes.

• Options

Anyone want to add any coins before I compile a list to send to Brad Yonaka?

• Options

Leave poor Brad alone!

• Options

@Boosibri said:
    Leave poor Brad alone!

He said he may do such a book. I will not push him if he wants to do such a project it is up to him and no one else.

• Options

@Boosibri said:

Argentina:
    1813 8 Escudos
    1840-R Rebel Peso

Colombia
    1819 8R
    A Pillar 8R

Chile:
    1822 Chiloe (I’m
    Biased)
    1817 No Assayer
    1826 Peso (unique)
    1760 4R, Pillar 8R

Ecuador:
    1846 8 Reales
    1862 50 Francos

Guatemala:

Mexico:
    1732 8R
    1538 8R
    Royal 8E
    Royal 8R
    1866 Small letters

Peru:
    1857 Pasco

Costa Rica:
    1831-CR E or F
    CAR 8E

Why share this if you don't want me to send it to Brad for his consideration? Makes no sens.