Home U.S. & World Currency Forum
Options

The OFFICIAL BILL/NOTE/STRAP Hunting Thread

I search a lot of bills every week, and I thought that this would be a great idea so anyone who searches bills/notes at the bank or in circulation can post their own finds here.

Cheers, and God Bless, CRHer700 :mrgreen:

Comments

• Options
    CRHer700CRHer700 Posts: 663 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 3, 2023 2:42PM

I have found some pretty cool notes while searching, and I will post my best finds. You are welcome to post anything old, interesting, with a star, a fancy serial number or whatever, as long as it was bought for face value.

This thread hopefully will also reinvigorate the currency forum so more information is shared.

• Options

• Options

All real finds from my banks. :)

• Options
    Steve_in_TampaSteve_in_Tampa Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice circulation finds. How long did finding these take ?

• Options

@Steve_in_Tampa said:
    Nice circulation finds. How long did finding these take ?

These are all from this year.
    Thanks for asking!

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,527 ✭✭✭✭✭

Them old fifties is getting to be far and fewer seen these days

• Options

The 1934A $50 was probably printed in the mid-40s. Given its condition, I’m guessing it had an extended vacation before reentering general circulation.

• Options

@Steve_in_Tampa said:
    The 1934A $50 was probably printed in the mid-40s. Given its condition, I’m guessing it had an extended vacation before reentering general circulation.

It probably did. I got it along with some series of 1934 to 1950s $5, $10, and $20 notes. All from the same person.

• Options

Yesterday’s finds: 3 stars, along with these.

Any ideas on the value? The one has a tiny bit of salvage on the bottom left.

• Options

They are both misaligned.

• Options

Today's finds were 3 $1 stars and 1 $2 star, as well as a 1963-A Cleveland $1 note.

• Options

I believe this happened during the cutting process and not during the printing of the notes.

• Options

@Steve_in_Tampa said:
    I believe this happened during the cutting process and not during the printing of the notes.

That’s what I meant to say. Do you know if they are worth anything?

• Options

The general rule of thumb concerning cutting errors is that in order for it to be an official error, a printed portion of an adjoining note must be visible in one of the margins. Unfortunately, I’m unable to see a sign of an adjoining note on yours. Now, that’s not to say that someone might find them interesting enough to give you more than face value, but they both have seen circulation so I wouldn’t expect much.

• Options

There is a tiny bit on the one.

• Options

Also, these were found in circulation. Are thy worth anything?

Binary:

Binary repeaters.

Other oddities:

• Options

I’d only keep the two notes in the center image with the $1 and $2 Radar notes. The $2 is not a Repeater.

On modern notes, condition is everything.

• Options

@Steve_in_Tampa said:
    I’d only keep the two notes in the center image with the $1 and $2 Radar notes. The $2 is not a Repeater.

On modern notes, condition is everything.

Sorry, I meant a radar.

• Options
    MtW124MtW124 Posts: 299 ✭✭✭✭

Saw this on the news this morning. Sure would have liked this strap of star notes they used on this clip.

• Options

@MtW124 said:
    Saw this on the news this morning. Sure would have liked this strap of star notes they used on this clip.

I agree, although what would I do with that many hundreds?

• Options

This week resulted in 3 $1 stars, none were new, but, I did find a 1993-H that I needed. :)

• Options

@CRHer700 said:

@MtW124 said:

They look like $20s to me

• Options

@CRHer700 said:

They were 20’s but I would have scraped up enough to get them if they were 100’s. The one thing about getting them from the bank or in the wild, is that you can spend them or sell them if the burden of holding on to them becomes to great. it’s terrific that you can search for these and not have to buy them at a premium. What a great Hobby we have.

• Options
    sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

The big news in this area is the end of sequentially numbered packs, starting with the $1s this year. This should mean more fancy numbers in the wild as those who handle large quantities of new cash won't know exactly where the good serial numbers are located and, logically, won't be pulling out as many out before they actually reach circulation.

Perhaps our chances of finding a solid or serial #1 in the wild just went from one in a billion to one in a million. The stakes just went up a bit, or, more accurately, our odds got a bit better. "So you're saying there's a chance......."

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.
  • Options

@sellitstore said:
    Perhaps our chances of finding a solid or serial #1 in the wild just went from one in a billion to one in a million. The stakes just went up a bit, or, more accurately, our odds got a bit better. "So you're saying there's a chance......."

This is great news sellitstore. Thanks for passing that along!

• Options
    edited December 30, 2023 6:06PM

Yeah, that will help me greatly, with finds that are worth something that is. Finally the feds did something for us amateur bill hunters. >:)

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,793 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2, 2024 8:02AM

@sellitstore said:
    The big news in this area is the end of sequentially numbered packs, starting with the $1s this year. This should mean more fancy numbers in the wild as those who handle large quantities of new cash won't know exactly where the good serial numbers are located and, logically, won't be pulling out as many out before they actually reach circulation.

This is indeed big news, but can you expand on this, as I have not heard the details?

Will the notes be random/mixed serial numbers within each 100-note pack? It seems this would negate any benefit to banks or law enforcement in the event of theft of new money.

How are they now going to be printed where this is the result?

• Options

I just read this in either The Numismatist or Paper Money, I don't recall which.

My understanding is that the 4000 note bricks will now be mixed, so that all serials will be in a 4000 number range but not sequential in the packs of 100. Unfortunately, this will mean that the first cash handlers will be able to identify the brick that contain the best numbers and probably buy all 4000 notes, but there will be plenty of second tier serial numbers that won't be worth the big money that would justify whole bricks.

Somebody who specializes in small size currency, please confirm if this is actually true or if I might have just dreamed this.

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.
  • Options

I’ve purchased packs of notes recently and they’ve all been business as usual with consecutive serial numbers. I’ve yet to buy a 4,000 note brick. Maybe this is like everything else the government implements, and will take some time before coming to fruition.

• Options
    luckyrollersluckyrollers Posts: 513 ✭✭✭✭

Nice finds @CRHer700

I search a lot and been posting my finds here too. Maybe we can some trades in the future :smile:

• Options

@Steve_in_Tampa said:
    I’ve purchased packs of notes recently and they’ve all been business as usual with consecutive serial numbers. I’ve yet to buy a 4,000 note brick. Maybe this is like everything else the government implements, and will take some time before coming to fruition.

Yes, I remember reading that they were going to start with the $1 denomination and that it would start sometime in 2024. You will be able to see the change if the notes within the pack are all CU but non consecutive. They should be within the same 4000 number general range.

Unless, of course, I dreamed the whole thing. The longer that nobody else confirms this change, the more I'm starting to wonder....

• Options

Yesterdays find: 1963 - Cleveland $1, this is my first series 1963 FRN.

• Options

This is a find from my bank. I would like to know if it is worth anything. It appears to be a mailed bill, as it has a date, city, and zip code.

• Options
    edited January 6, 2024 7:19PM

I also bought this for a dollar from someone who thought that it was interesting, but didn’t know what caused it to be yellow on the back. If anyone has any ideas, that would be helpful. Even if it is worth nothing, I bought it for face, so no worries. The $2 is for color reference.
    The face is normal colored.
    It also is a 1977-J note.

• Options

Took out around 100x $1 notes from the ATM and they were new notes that were mostly in sequential order with a few missing here and there but I noticed that some notes has a Gas pump error. Mostly with the 3, 7 and 8 numbers.

Uncirculated Odometer - gas pump error

• Options
    tomtomtomtomtomtomtomtom Posts: 535 ✭✭✭✭

@CRHer700 said:
    I also bought this for a dollar from someone who thought that it was interesting, but didn’t know what caused it to be yellow on the back. If anyone has any ideas, that would be helpful. Even if it is worth nothing, I bought it for face, so no worries. The $2 is for color reference.
    The face is normal colored.
    It also is a 1977-J note.

it's called bleach

• Options
    edited January 8, 2024 7:16PM

Delete: Irrelevant.

• Options
    edited January 9, 2024 3:28PM

@CRHer700 said:
    This is a find from my bank. I would like to know if it is worth anything. It appears to be a mailed bill, as it has a date, city, and zip code.

This $2 is postmarked "Plains, GA" from June, 1979. I'm note sure of the exact date. This is the home of Jimmy Carter when he was President. It appears that Carter went to Plains on June 30th, 1979 on vacation, but I can find no connection to this $2, so you would have to make up the rest of the story to "add value".

• Options

@sellitstore said:

@CRHer700 said:

This $2 is postmarked "Plains, GA" from June, 1979. I'm note sure of the exact date. This is the home of Jimmy Carter when he was President. It appears that Carter went to Plains on June 30th, 1979 on vacation, but I can find no connection to this $2, so you would have to make up the rest of the story to "add value".

That could be a bill that the president gave out or something.

• Options

That seems plausible but to get the real big money it's going to have to be more exciting than just that. Expand and embellish a bit more.

• Options

@sellitstore said:
    That seems plausible but to get the real big money it's going to have to be more exciting than just that. Expand and embellish a bit more.

Oh, I've got one: "President Carter visited Plains, GA, and gave this bill out to someone on the condition that they use it to buy a shiny new SBA(Carter quarter)." The real question is whether the aforementioned someone bought 1 or 4 of these for a dollar. :D

• Options

"President Carter exchanged this $2 note for the new SBA dollars at a bank in Plains, GA on the first day of release but they gave him eight of the new coins thereby documenting the first time the $1 coin was confused for a Quarter."

That would work better for Ebay. To make this true, all you would have to do is put the word "Perhaps" in front of all of these other ones.

• Options
    element159element159 Posts: 494 ✭✭✭

@sellitstore said:

@Steve_in_Tampa said:

Yes, I remember reading that they were going to start with the $1 denomination and that it would start sometime in 2024. You will be able to see the change if the notes within the pack are all CU but non consecutive. They should be within the same 4000 number general range.

Unless, of course, I dreamed the whole thing. The longer that nobody else confirms this change, the more I'm starting to wonder....

I have heard, but do not recall exactly, that there will be new equipment for printing notes (possibly named LEPE or similar???), that will no longer make serial numbers in sequence. As a side effect, this new press will not create any more star notes, along with making the good numbers more scrambled. I do not recall details about the timing.

• Options
    edited January 15, 2024 11:23PM

@element159, Everything you wanted to know about LEPE - https://www.uspapermoney.io/general/lepe.html

• Options

Latest finds: 1/19/24

IMG_20231214_225736

IMG_20240107_083348

IMG_20240107_083301

IMG_20240107_083215

IMG_20240114_170608

IMG_20231231_224944

IMG_20240107_081956

IMG_20240118_122627

IMG_20240107_081055

• Options

@luckyrollers said:
    Latest finds: 1/19/24

IMG_20231214_225736

IMG_20240107_083348

IMG_20240107_083301

IMG_20240107_083215

IMG_20240114_170608

IMG_20231231_224944

IMG_20240107_081956

IMG_20240118_122627

IMG_20240107_081055

How do you get the new notes? Here in Florida all of my new bills are common 2017A F-G and F-H blocks with no stars. As far as I know, no 2021 F notes have even been printed. Yours are also I fed, which I assume have more rare stars. From all the searching that I have done, I have never found a Minneapolis star of any series. Great job!

• Options
    edited January 23, 2024 9:27AM

For example: today’s hunt was ~$550 in ones. Only one common Atlanta Star.
    One stack was oddly ordered from newest to oldest, which is the first time that that happened. I also got my first 1981A one, a F-C.

• Options

How do you get the new notes? Here in Florida all of my new bills are common 2017A F-G and F-H blocks with no stars. As far as I know, no 2021 F notes have even been printed. Yours are also I fed, which I assume have more rare stars. From all the searching that I have done, I have never found a Minneapolis star of any series. Great job!

I get a lot of Minneapolis notes up here in NYC/NJ area. I don't know why? I was expecting to see more NY notes LOL.
    Thanks on the star notes but I got lucky on going to one of the banks that I hardly go to. They had two new straps left and each strap had one star note in the #15 note of the strap. I wish I went to that bank earlier bc I would of brought out the brick.

• Options

Here are last week’s best stars: a 2017A-F 2nd run is the best, printage of 640,000, and a 2017A-G 4th run, printage of 1,280,000 that is the first of this run that I have found.

• Options

Whomp whomp.....so close....again!

Close ladder