Home Sports Talk
Options

The hardest thread I have ever posted....Rest in Peace @Thisistheshow

HallcoHallco Posts: 3,627 ✭✭✭✭✭

I hung up with his wife a short time ago and she delivered the sad news. He was my best friend although we unfortunately never got to meet in person. We shared so much life experience and parallels. We helped each other through a lot of struggles the last several years. I know he was involved with many topics in this category and thought everyone who knew him would want to know. He was a big fan of the band Megadeth and this seems appropriate. For those who are not familiar, I will post the lyrics. I love you Eric! <3

https://youtu.be/aU-dKoFZT0A?si=3ekvmo515McX60HH

Don't remember where I was
I realized life was a game
The more seriously I took things
The harder the rules became
I had no idea what it'd cost
My life passed before my eyes
I found out how little I accomplished
All my plans denied
So as you read this, know, my friends
I'd love to stay with you all
Please smile when you think of me
My body's gone, that's all
A tout le monde
A tout mes amis
Je vous aime
Je dois partir
These are the last words
I'll ever speak
And they'll set me free
If my heart was still alive
I know it would surely break
And my memories left with you
There's nothing more to say
Moving on is a simple thing
What it leaves behind is hard
You know the sleeping feel no more pain
And the living are scarred
A tout le monde
A tout mes amis
Je vous aime
Je dois partir
These are the last words
I'll ever speak
And they'll set me free
(So as you read this, know, my friends
I'd love to stay with you all
Please smile, smile when you think about me
My body's gone, that's all)
(These are the last words
I'll ever speak
And they'll set me free)

Comments

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,053 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sad news.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    GroceryRackPackGroceryRackPack Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh Wow... :'(

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,555 ✭✭✭✭✭

What...

This is just terrible. terrible news.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

My sincere condolences to his family and friends.

He will be missed.

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,077 ✭✭✭✭✭

What happened? I was just talking to him the other night, we PM each other all the time, my boxing buddy. I can't handle this, this is devastating.

• Options
    LandrysFedoraLandrysFedora Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is terrible news to hear, prayers to his family. Show was one of my favorites here on the forum. Always had great insight on things. You will be sorely missed here my friend. RIP fine sir.

Robert

• Options

This is too much. He was one of my best friends here.

• Options

@doubledragon said:
    What happened? I was just talking to him the other night, we PM each other all the time, my boxing buddy. I can't handle this, this is devastating.

I know DD. it is just horrible news. hard to believe. We used to PM as well. Devastating is the right word.

• Options

I love you brother, this place is never going to be the same without you Eric.

• Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,271 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2, 2023 7:13PM

This is absolutely horrible news. Has anyone found out what was the cause? Eric & I have talked about our health problems,as recently as the previous weekend and he had was telling me about his AFib doctor wants to treat it with an electrical procedure that he was very weary about. He was also dealing with very high blood pressure too.

Man,this really sucks, he's the only guy that I look forward to talking with about the Celtics.
    What good is the Big Toe without the Little Toe?
    RIP, Brother.

• Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,294 ✭✭✭✭✭

Holy shit, it seems like he was just posting................ I'm in shock - I didn't believe it at first.
    RIP! Condolences to his family and friends...............so sad.

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options
    MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,619 ✭✭✭✭✭

My sincere and deepest condolences to his family. Always a gentleman, always well thought out posts, and all enjoyable to read.

I'll miss the purple box...RIP.

• Options
    pdoidoipdoidoi Posts: 502 ✭✭✭

I hope he was surrounded by loved ones and did not feel pain in his passing.
    REST IN PEACE

• Options

Back on August 10th, he was telling me how he went to Massachusetts to visit his relatives in June, and when he got back to Texas he was dealing with shortness of breath, and then he had swelling in both feet and his ankles and he was wheezing, so he went to the ER. At the ER he was diagnosed with irregular heartbeat, high blood pressure, fluid in his lungs, low oxygen levels, and anemia. They kept him a few days and sent him home with six medications. He was having some serious health problems.

• Options

In memory of Eric, I seriously thought about not posting anything tomorrow and perhaps for a few days.

But then considering how much Eric enjoyed this forum, that might be the last thing he would want anyone to do?

So I decided to still type a few posts, especially in the Eagles thread. However out of respect to Eric, tone down my usual glee if the Eagles win. I didn't know Eric like some here did, but i think he would be fine with that.

• Options
    PillarDollarCollectorPillarDollarCollector Posts: 4,797 ✭✭✭✭✭

My sincere condolences to all here!!!

Coin collecting interests: Latin America

Sports: NFL & NHL

• Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭✭✭

Horrible news. We will miss you my friend. May you rest in peace.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options

I'm going to take a break for a few days, this is just too devastating.

• Options

@doubledragon said:

hey man, you have to do whatever it takes. I agree. this is terrible.

• Options

@stevek said:
    In memory of Eric, I seriously thought about not posting anything tomorrow and perhaps for a few days.

But then considering how much Eric enjoyed this forum, that might be the last thing he would want anyone to do?

So I decided to still type a few posts, especially in the Eagles thread. However out of respect to Eric, tone down my usual glee if the Eagles win. I didn't know Eric like some here did, but i think he would be fine with that.

I know that Eric loved football. as crappy as this is, I am sure he would want you to be happy if your team wins a big game.

• Options

@craig44 said:

@doubledragon said:

hey man, you have to do whatever it takes. I agree. this is terrible.

Thanks buddy, it's just heartbreaking.

• Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,271 ✭✭✭✭✭

@craig44 said:

@stevek said:

I know that Eric loved football. as crappy as this is, I am sure he would want you to be happy if your our team wins a friggin game tomorrow.

Fixed! Lets see Zappe win one for our fallen friend the Show.

• Options
    dallasactuarydallasactuary Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭✭✭

Damn. That really sucks. We'll miss you, man. RIP

This is for you @thisistheshow - Jim Rice was actually a pretty good player.
  • Options
    GroceryRackPackGroceryRackPack Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭✭✭

I really liked on how showtime would mess with me when I would post a pic or two without my flannel in my postings…

Eric, You Will Be Missed Here…

This is for You @Thisistheshow

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,541 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2, 2023 9:24PM

OMG horrible news, absolutely horrible

My deepest sympathy to his family , I feel awful hearing this.

I don't know what else to say, I'm terribly sorry to hear this.

@thisistheshow one last time 😪

• Options

@erikthredd said:

@craig44 said:

@stevek said:

I know that Eric loved football. as crappy as this is, I am sure he would want you to be happy if your our team wins a friggin game tomorrow.

you know what, you are correct. Tomorrow I will be taking one week off from hoping for a Patriots loss so that I can root for a win for @thisistheshow

RIP buddy.

• Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,335 ✭✭✭✭✭

RIP showtime.
    You will be missed on the forum, I really enjoyed your subtle sense of humor as well as your knowledgeable posts.
    Condolences to his family and friends. 😥

• Options

@craig44 said:

@erikthredd said:

@craig44 said:

@stevek said:

you know what, you are correct. Tomorrow I will be taking one week off from hoping for a Patriots loss so that I can root for a win for @thisistheshow

RIP buddy.

Almost sounds like George Gipp material. 🙂

• Options

@GroceryRackPack said:
    I really liked on how showtime would mess with me when I would post a pic or two without my flannel in my postings…

Eric, You Will Be Missed Here…

This is for You @Thisistheshow

Eric every once in a while would chime in with some smack against the Eagles, Philly fans, etc, and I loved every post of it. To me, that's part of the fun of Sports Talk, and even card collecting itself as my favorite players who I rooted for to beat the opposing teams, are always the most fun to collect. 🙂

• Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,736 ✭✭✭✭✭

RIP.

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,163 ✭✭✭✭✭

Eric was my closest friend here. we talked sports frequently, but the numerous in-depth conversations we had about life are what i will cherish most. he was a genuinely decent soul. his faith mattered greatly to him.

i was in my car when i read hall's post tonight. i immediately exited the interstate and stopped so i could reread what i thought i had just read. then i lost it. i hadn't heard from Eric in a number of days, and that was not common. and when no response came after playfully tagging him in the Boston athletes thread, an uneasy feeling overwhelmed me. but i never saw this coming.

he lived not far from where i grew up, and we discussed meeting a number of times. i could not be more disgusted with myself for not making that happen.

i'm totally gutted right now

• Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,257 ✭✭✭✭✭

Man. Jarring news. He was always supportive in tough times and although our PM’s were infrequent they were always welcome. Gonna miss you buddy

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options

I think galaxy said it best, I too am gutted. Eric PM'd me a lot, we talked about life, boxing, he would always ask how things are with me, a genuinely good man and caring soul. This is going to take some time to heal.

• Options
    BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,343 ✭✭✭✭✭

So sorry to hear this, prayers for his family and friends.

• Options
    EstilEstil Posts: 6,923 ✭✭✭✭

And he just made messages just a few days ago...this kind of reminds of how the day before Bob Saget died he made normal life update messages on his social media platform (forget which one; IG maybe?). Or finding the Simons Cat calendar on the day of June 8, 2021 with a few numbers written on it...not realizing it'd be my wife's last day in this mortal realm. I mean there's just something gut wretching seeing someone be (at least seemingly) fit as a fiddle and then the next day they're just gone for no(?) apparent reason. :,(

WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • Options

@Estil

I know what you are talking about. I found myself reading his posts from last week. It is so strange reading through them now, knowing what would happen in just a few days.

so terrible.

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,243 ✭✭✭✭✭

RIP 😞

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options

@craig44 said:
    @Estil

I know what you are talking about. I found myself reading his posts from last week. It is so strange reading through them now, knowing what would happen in just a few days.

so terrible.

Just read through some PM’s from him after I had to make a decision on my dog. So supportive and kind. I’m really going to miss him kind words.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options

@2dueces said:

@craig44 said:
    @Estil

so terrible.

Just read through some PM’s from him after I had to make a decision on my dog. So supportive and kind. I’m really going to miss him kind words.

Um...what...kind...of..."decision"? I hope it's not the kind I'm thinking... :,(

WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • Options

@craig44 said:

RIP buddy.

You just better hope that Patriots win won't negatively effect your team's playoff/seeding chances!

WISHLIST
  • Options
    edited December 3, 2023 8:22AM

@Estil said:

@2dueces said:

@craig44 said:
    @Estil

so terrible.

Um...what...kind...of..."decision"? I hope it's not the kind I'm thinking... :,(

Yes unfortunately. It was a very rough time for me. But after a year without we found a beautiful rescue and is spoiled beyond belief. 😃

W.C.Fields
  • Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cute puppy.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    edited December 3, 2023 10:44AM

@Brick said:
    Cute puppy.

Spoiled rotten puppy sleeping on my pillow and Bills blanket.

W.C.Fields
  • Options
    clarke442clarke442 Posts: 605 ✭✭✭✭✭

Condolences to all family and friends

• Options

@2dueces said:

@Estil said:

@2dueces said:

@craig44 said:
    @Estil

so terrible.

Yes unfortunately. It was a very rough time for me. But after a year without we found a beautiful rescue and is spoiled beyond belief. 😃

My grandma lost her black poodle Cleo a few months ago :,(

WISHLIST
  • Options

@2dueces said:

@Brick said:
    Cute puppy.

Puppy?? Looks like a grown man/woman dog! Just like how my cat is not a fur "baby", he's a man!

WISHLIST
  • Options

@Estil said:

@2dueces said:

@Brick said:
    Cute puppy.

Puppy?? Looks like a grown man/woman dog! Just like how my cat is not a fur "baby", he's a man!

Yes she’s 3 years old and quite a few pounds heavier since we got her. She’s a really really good dog. We couldn’t have asked for any better. We lost our 2 dogs 2 months apart. Tough time but she’s helping quite a bit

W.C.Fields
  • Options

@Estil said:

@2dueces said:

@Estil said:

@2dueces said:

@craig44 said:
    @Estil

so terrible.

My grandma lost her black poodle Cleo a few months ago :,(

They become so much part of the family

W.C.Fields
  • Options

@Estil said:
    Puppy?? Looks like a grown man/woman dog!

Doesn't matter how old they are they will always be your "Puppy" :)

• Options

@2dueces said:

@Brick said:
    Cute puppy.

I thought that's what the pillows and blankets were for! At least my Oliver thinks so - o:)