Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

December 2023 Pickups Thread

This month kicks off with a fun, vintage, unopened item. These came out while Topps was hashing out a deal with the newly formed players union and this was year two of the product. From about 1968-1976, Topps worked to get back some of the exclusivity back it had with merchandising the MLB but in the interim you get some interesting non baseball card sized issues including these postcard sized photo card.

1970 MLBPA NY Yankees Framing Pictures - Unopened Pack

Now, let’s see what YOU guys added to your collections in the final month of 2023!!!

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

Comments

• Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,244 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stwainfan said:
    The best QB in football.

Are you a Cowboys fan? Or do you have some other connection to him?

I only ask because most people would pick a different player.

Not a hater, have great respect for Dak Prescott. I’m a Giants fan and I’m trying to remember if we’ve ever beaten him. He’s been taking out lunch money for a decade.

(We may have beaten him but I hate that I even have to think about it.)

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options
    stwainfanstwainfan Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am a Cowboy fan. Who is playing better? The best scoring offense in the NFL.

I collect hall of fame rookie cards, https://www.instagram.com/stwainfan/

• Options

@1951WheatiesPremium said:

@stwainfan said:
    The best QB in football.

Not a hater, have great respect for Dak Prescott. I’m a Giants fan and I’m trying to remember if we’ve ever beaten him. He’s been taking out lunch money for a decade.

Thanks for the reply.

• Options
    mark_dakmark_dak Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stwainfan said:

Next week will be interesting and a tell for the rest of the league what Philly and Dallas are. Every win except Seattle has been to teams with losing records(Seattle 6-6) Losses to SF, Arizona and Philly. That being said, not particularly looking forward to the Cowboys in Dallas on Dec 30. Please don't spoil things for us long suffering Lions fans!

Mark

• Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,244 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stwainfan said:

@1951WheatiesPremium said:

@stwainfan said:
    The best QB in football.

Thanks for the reply.

Not many are playing better right now - I agree. He’s having a great season.

I might still choose to go with Mahomes but Dak is having what may be his best season to date.

• Options

@mintonlypls said:
    I won this card from Heritage Auctions recently...but forgot to post. I measured it 50/50 in both directions w/three (3) corners exceptional for the assigned grade and the lower left (when viewed horizontally) showing white due to chipping. Great in-game shot of Munson...

great card.

• Options
    TiborTibor Posts: 3,264 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stwainfan said:

Who is playing better? Jalen Hurts and Patrick Mahomes to name two.

• Options

On it's way back from PSA. Top graded low pop to improve my '74 Laughlin OTBS set.

• Options
    DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭✭✭

@handyman said:
    No cards lately.I have been more interested in boring,honest, metal coins more and more

If only there was a forum for coins….

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• Options
    RonSportscardsRonSportscards Posts: 811 ✭✭✭✭

@KendallCat said:

@mintonlypls said:
    I won this card from Heritage Auctions recently...but forgot to post. I measured it 50/50 in both directions w/three (3) corners exceptional for the assigned grade and the lower left (when viewed horizontally) showing white due to chipping. Great in-game shot of Munson...

Sweet card Monte - such a difficult issue to find overall, and in high grade is a unicorn.

Picked this one up this evening to add to my Bench collection. Have a nice 8 already, but really like the eye appeal on this one.

The colors are so bold, especially for a '69.
    If not for that edge nick.

• Options
    mintonlyplsmintonlypls Posts: 1,751 ✭✭✭✭✭

Keith...

Eye appeal on the 1969 Bench is exceptional for the assigned grade...nice pickup!

mint_only_pls
  • Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 4, 2023 9:23AM

@mintonlypls said:

They seem to be even tougher on this card than other 71s. It’s incredible how an insanely minor hint of wear precludes even an 8 when so many 9s from other years routinely seem to have corner wear.

The best part of your card is the deep consistent black. The most important feature of a 71 to me but not one PSA usually prioritizes.

• Options
    BBBrkrrBBBrkrr Posts: 962 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PaulMaul said:

@mintonlypls said:

They seem to be even tougher on this card than other 71s. It’s incredible how an insanely minor hint of wear precludes even an 8 when so many 9s from other years routinely seem to have corner wear.

The best part of your card is the deep consistent black. The most important feature of a 71 to me but not one PSA usually prioritizes.

I agree. I was following that Munson during the auction, but ended up pulling back. It's a great card and I think under-graded. That thing looks amazing, and I wouldn't even look twice if it was a 9.

This one and the 78 are my two favorite Munson's. Based on my experience I have as hard a time finding a high grade in the 78 because they always seem to be way off center.

• Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BBBrkrr said:

I agree. I was following that Munson during the auction, but ended up pulling back. It's a great card and I think under-graded. That thing looks amazing, and I wouldn't even look twice if it was a 9.

This is definitely nicer than most of the 8s I have seen. It really should be an 8.5. And I feel like my 7 could be an 8 on a good day. Very tough on this card!

• Options
    brad31brad31 Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭✭✭

Love the ‘59 Roberts and ‘67 Mays. Really great pick-ups.

• Options

San Francisco is the best team in football right now. That's not my opinion but the opinion of the dudes who make the point spreads. They also blew out Dallas.

• Options
    GroceryRackPackGroceryRackPack Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Loyalty32 said:
    I joined this forum what has to be 10 years or so ago. Shortly after doing so, a member reached out to me to ask for my address. A short time later I received a package in the mail. Inside it was a loupe that I still use to this very day!

A week or so ago, I received an email from the same board member. Checking to confirm my address was the same. Just days later I received another package from him. I had no idea what to expect. Maybe another Loupe? Nope. Much nicer!

So, a big thanks to Mr. Bryan Aguirre! (EagleEyeKid) Best of luck on your new venture!

Thanks
    Craig

hey Loyalty32...
    Pretty Cool Dr. Octo... :)

• Options
    handymanhandyman Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 5, 2023 4:18PM

Sorry about the coins. Hoping for a 7 on this one.

• Options
    mark_dakmark_dak Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stwainfan said:
    With this I need two more 63 and 67 for the Killebrew run.

That's a pretty sweet looking 4

Mark

• Options

@mark_dak said:

@stwainfan said:
    With this I need two more 63 and 67 for the Killebrew run.

That's a pretty sweet looking 4

Mark

Thanks.

• Options
    NGS428NGS428 Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭✭✭

@totallyradd said:
    Nothing earth shattering, but a few cards I wanted for my collection. The Eddie Gaedel I sent in. Loved Mat Hoffman growing up, and this is only a pop 5 I caught for cheap, and being from WI, I wanted to get a Jordan Love RC before he blew up (and now he's on fire!)

Nice Love RC! Hope he can keep it up!

• Options
    jordangretzkyfanjordangretzkyfan Posts: 2,377 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats on the run of Kirby. Great player. The 1992 Fleer All-Star appears to be missing the foil with his name and all-star logo. Might want to have that added to the flip at some point.

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,252 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jordangretzkyfan said:
    Congrats on the run of Kirby. Great player. The 1992 Fleer All-Star appears to be missing the foil with his name and all-star logo. Might want to have that added to the flip at some point.

Thanks, I saw that too. Wasn't sure if it's missing or just doesn't show up on photo.

Could PSA possibly miss the fact that the foil was missing?

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    totallyraddtotallyradd Posts: 928 ✭✭✭

@stevegarveyfan said:
    __

Love that Abba card!!!

• Options
    hankcaddyhankcaddy Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JoeBanzai keep posting your kirbys . Love seeing Player collectors progress

currently collecting baseball of
    2004 spx
    1989 topps psa 10
    1959 phillies
    Phillies of the 70's