Home Sports Talk
Options

Looks like the Joe Flacco era may be starting in Cleveland.

MaywoodMaywood Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭✭✭

It seems that the Cleveland Browns have activated Joe Flacco to the roster from the practice squad, listing him as the 2nd QB behind DTR who was knocked silly last week and is still in concussion protocol. I don't think it's realistic to believe DTR will play after being an observer all week.

Reports coming from the Browns have been complimentary of Flacco's involvement in meetings and what he's shown in practice. I guess he still has plenty of zip on the ball and is still able to make "all the throws" anywhere on the field. When he played for the Ravens I was always impressed with his deep passes, but the most exciting thing for me is to finally see a QB who's taller than the players around him. Flacco is listed at 6'6"/235 and the picture below represents that well with him standing next to PJ Walker who is listed at 5'11"/210. DTR comes in at 6'1"/205.

The Cleveland Browns have developed a bad habit of signing QB's that tend to be on the short side of the spectrum so it'll be exciting to see what Joe Flacco does. I'm trying to be realistic, the guys 37 years old and hasn't played for a year but he looks to have stayed in shape and ready while he waited to be contacted. If nothing else, I think his experience will help, it's just a bummer that he's coming in when the team is sort of hobbled with injuries on the offensive side of things. Maybe he'll be the spark that gets things going.

Maywood.

Comments

• Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,304 ✭✭✭✭✭

What do they have to lose (besides the game) at this point? Starting the turnover machine PJ Walker is the only other option.

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options

This is the 4th starting QB for the Browns this season.

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭✭

I always liked the "prototypical" pocket passer. The big, tall guy who has a howitzer for an arm and can just sling it anywhere on the field. Flacco fits that mold

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,589 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Maywood said:
    This is the 4th starting QB for the Browns this season.

And might be their best one so far lol

• Options

@perkdog said:
    " And might be their best one so far lol"

One can only hope.

• Options

@perkdog said: And might be their best one so far

I think a healthy Deshaun Watson who hasn't been sitting idle for 2-3 years is better than Joe Flacco when he hasn't been sitting idle for most of a year, but that's an impossible comparison to make right now. I do, however, think that Joe Flacco is the better option if the choices are him, DTR or PJ Walker when all are healthy. The confusing thing from my perspective is that things aren't as clear for Kevin Stefanski. In a nutshell I would choose a smart, experienced pocket QB who is 6'6" tall over two inexperienced 6'0" more mobile QB's. DTR's mobility didn't save him from almost getting broken last week. A less mobile and smarter QB would have gotten rid of the ball on that play and still be playing.

Looking at the picture above, Joe Flacco looks like a man standing with boys.

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭✭

Flacco will be getting the start.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options

Ya think we could get Flaco to play a little bit on defense too?

• Options

So Stefanski puts Flaco back on the practice squad and won't name a starting QB for sunday vs Jax. ?????

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,511 ✭✭✭✭✭

Since Joe and I graduated from the University of Delaware, I wish him well.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options

Stefanski is trying to hamper the Jaguars game planning. Flacco will start but who knows what Stefanski does or why he does it.

• Options

Finally, the Cleveland Browns have signed Joe Flacco to a one year contract. I don't know what took so long and I don't think anyone ever doubted it would happen. I only wonder what the delay was for.

I think Joe Flacco gives the Browns a distinct advantage in the "race to 10" for the three wildcard teams in the AFC.

• Options

If anyone has the "newsbreak" app I guess there's an article that Deshaun Watson is predicted to be "done" with the Browns, whatever that means. I thought he was just recovering from season-ending-surgery, but what do I know. :D