Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Black Friday Coin Show, Tulsa, Ok report

SurfinxHISurfinxHI Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited November 27, 2023 10:06AM in U.S. Coin Forum

Howdy all,

A quick little show report from this last weekend from a dealers perspective. Traffic was lighter than in the previous two years, bit still semi-busy on Friday, slower on Saturday. Show has about 40-50 tables, mostly local dealers.

My feel was that I did more buying than selling, and the numbers proved that. Most buying was on the gold side. Most selling was on the gold bullion side. I also saw a LOT of $20 Libs and Saints change hands, if around melt or slightly higher in pricing. Actually, bullion gold (not US) was strong too, buy again, around melt values. Certified gold was not moving for me, but I was buying it. I heard similar experiences from other dealers, and that there has been tons of gold bullion buying in the last month or two. And frequently, these buys are moving off to larger fish as smaller dealers are overextended.

Most commentary about the market is that while we "might not be in a recession" it certainly feels like the beginnings of one. Folks are selling stuff to raise capital, not for other numismatic purchases, but to apply to other needs (in other words, they aren't trading gold to buy collector coins or numismatic pieces). Frequently was heard the refrain of, the government says we aren't, but it feels like we are! Now maybe everyone is being pessimistic, or maybe folks need holiday cash, but I'm still thinking it's not a fire-sale, just an adjustment....

On the silver side, bullion-style dollars were selling, if priced right, as were art bars and some fanciful silver. What was NOT selling was the current crop of mint products....folks think they're pretty, but not for buying at the moment. I did sell 1 2023 MS 70 FS Peace dollar. Saw A LOT of mint boxes around, but no one was selling them.

Some numismatic stuff sold, but mostly closer to sheet than not. CAC materials were VERY light on the floor, and I think I had the only CACG graded stuff there (and it was only sample slabs). Lots of raw stuff, from pennies to dollars were moving in moderate amounts, which fits with a good collector-base show. This was definitely not CSNS or Long Beach....

For Ricko (RIP), ASEs were $30 or so, circ morgans started around $28-30, 90% was selling usually at 19-20×face (if it sold, and didn't see much of that at all).

Next show is Grapevine in Texas in 2 weeks. I'll see how that one goes....

Cheers,
Surf

Dead people tell interesting tales.

Comments

• Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,574 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the show report and taking the time to share your experience.

Donato

Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,229 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for your report.

• Options
    DRUNNERDRUNNER Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the report . . . . and the great coins!

Drunner

• Options
    UpGrayeddUpGrayedd Posts: 565 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the report. I have never attended any of the shows in the Tulsa area (I'm in central OK), but maybe one day I'll make the trip.

Philippians 4:4-7

• Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,260 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the detailed report and your perspectives, Surf!

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    lilolmelilolme Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks. I have wondered in the past about shows on Black Friday. I am usually the stay home avoid the mess type. :)

https://youtube.com/watch?v=2YNufnS_kf4 - Mama I'm coming home ...................................................................................................................................................................... RLJ 1958 - 2023

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,303 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the report.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file