Home U.S. Coin Forum

2000-P Sacagawea dollars Reverse Die Crack (That's #6!)

OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 6,612 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited June 21, 2024 7:27AM in U.S. Coin Forum

I found this first one months ago roll hunting.

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

Comments

• maymay Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cool finds, the second one looks to be a slightly later die state than the first.

Type collector, mainly into Seated. -formerly Ownerofawheatiehorde. Good BST transactions with: mirabela, OKCC, MICHAELDIXON, Gerard

• gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,562 ✭✭✭✭✭

Its a pre cud die break.

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭✭✭

Excellent. Haven't seen any die cracks that advanced on Sac dollars before.

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• 1madman1madman Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 27, 2023 6:25AM

These are fairly scarce (think I’ve found less than 5 total) but I’ve never seen much interest in the market for them. Very nice broken dies

Here’s one I sold:
    https://www.greatcollections.com/Coin/1131200/Mint-Error-2000-P-Sacagawea-Dollar-Broken-Dies-ICG-MS-63

• OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 6,612 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1madman said:
    These are fairly scarce (think I’ve found less than 5 total) but I’ve never seen much interest in the market for them. Very nice broken dies

Here’s one I sold:
    https://www.greatcollections.com/Coin/1131200/Mint-Error-2000-P-Sacagawea-Dollar-Broken-Dies-ICG-MS-63

That is interesting. Can I ask where you found them?

Like @gumby1234 said pre cud. I found this on Cuds-on-coins.

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

Found them roll searching a couple decades ago

@1madman said:
    Found them roll searching a couple decades ago

Where? Where are you located in this world?

• lilolmelilolme Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭✭✭

@OAKSTAR said:
    I found this one yesterday. Obviously from the same anvil die. I'm just wondering how many made it into circulation before the die was replaced or shattered.

A little interesting that the ones here all appear to have similar stage of die cracks (including the one coming off the R in dollar and toward tail then star).

So how quickly did the cracks progress on this die? I don't know but cracks can be slow to very quick to progress and much of that depends on the stresses in the metal at the crack(s) under loading. If most are cracked similarly, then the cracks may have occurred very quickly. If the cracks progressed slowly, then should be many showing the crack progression.

From the mint website:
    https://www.usmint.gov/learn/production-process/coin-production

"A circulating coin press strikes 750 coins per minute. The Philadelphia Mint produces 47,250 coins per minute if all of its 63 presses are operational. The Denver Mint makes 40,500 coins per minute with its 54 coin presses. That results in millions of circulating coins each day."

"Once the press strikes the coins, they drop into either a bin or a tray. An inspector examines samples for errors. If they pass inspection, they move to packaging. If circulating coins don’t meet certain standards, the batch goes to a machine called a waffler. The waffler bends the coins to form wavy lines before they’re sent for recycling."

A couple things from the above is the rate of coin strikes and the wording "don't meet certain standards..." which doesn't give much information on when a die is considered to be 'bad'. The 750 coins per minute would be 45,000. per hour or just over 1 million in 24 hours of run time (don't know how many hours per day they operate the presses, shifts...).

https://youtube.com/watch?v=2YNufnS_kf4 - Mama I'm coming home ...................................................................................................................................................................... RLJ 1958 - 2023

United States, east of the Mississippi river. I traveled extensively and got rolls all along the east coast. I do remember I never found more than 1 of these at a time, and it was years between finds.

Thanks @lilolme. Yes, I've read most of that. It's a shame most all of this is speculation but I guess that's what makes this interesting.

@1madman said:
    United States, east of the Mississippi river. I traveled extensively and got rolls all along the east coast. I do remember I never found more than 1 of these at a time, and it was years between finds.

Great! Okay, thanks. So you may have found them from roll along the east coast. I'm hoping not down in Mississippi!! 😂 😉 I'm just trying to narrow down where these things "may" have been dumped into circulation.

Well they must be common. I found two more. I don't know, how many could have been minted and dumped into circulation before the die shattered or was replaced.

• CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭✭

Way Kewl!

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.

• 2fun2Bbad2fun2Bbad Posts: 110 ✭✭

Awesome finds! I have never come across such a die break, little jelly lol

Well, that's four! Again, not sure how rare or significant this is but it's interesting. I guess the fed dumped them in my area.

• Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭✭✭

@OAKSTAR said:

" I guess the fed dumped them in my area. "

Hey now, are you allowed to say that? :D

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• CRHer700CRHer700 Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭✭✭

@OAKSTAR said:
    Well, that's four! Again, not sure how rare or significant this is but it's interesting. I guess the fed dumped them in my area.

Where are you located? Maybe I should go there and look for these! :D

God Bless, CRHer700 :mrgreen:
    Do unto others what you expect to be done to you.
    Dubbed a "Committee Secret Agent" by @mr1931S on 7/23/24

It's a mess but it's all there, number 5!

Before an acetone bath:

After:

edited June 21, 2024 7:33AM

• JBKJBK Posts: 15,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 21, 2024 7:45AM

Number 6 looks like a major cud was on the way.

@JBK said:
    Number 6 looks like a major cud was on the way.

They all look the same. Die cracks, cuds, retained cuds?.. Something!

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,873 ✭✭✭✭✭

Definitely worth searching for. On my to do list.

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall, coinsarefun, MichaelDixon, NickPatton, ProfLiz, Twobitcollector,Jesbroken

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file