Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Amazon Warrior Civil War Token in Silver F-160/218f - PCGS MS64!!

WindycityWindycity Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭✭✭

I posted this a few month ago as a raw coin... submitted to PCGS and here is the trueview Image. I have been unable find any information on other silver examples.

<a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.mullencoins.com">Mullen Coins Website - Windycity Coin website

Comments

• Options
    calgolddivercalgolddiver Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭✭✭

WOW!

Top 25 Type Set 1792 to present

Top 10 Cal Fractional Type Set

successful BST with Ankurj, BigAl, Bullsitter, CommemKing, DCW(7), Elmerfusterpuck, Joelewis, Mach1ne, Minuteman810430, Modcrewman, Nankraut, Nederveit2, Philographer(5), Realgator, Silverpop, SurfinxHI, TomB and Yorkshireman(3)

• Options
    Manifest_DestinyManifest_Destiny Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow, cool token!

• Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow. That's fantastic!

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭✭

Since when did Amazon warriors carry an American flag. I'm sure its more like miss Liberty.

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• Options

Not certain the history but this obverse has been referred to as the Amazon warrior for many years.

<a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.mullencoins.com">Mullen Coins Website - Windycity Coin website
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,489 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 20, 2023 12:56PM

These dies were made by John Marr who was a die maker from Milwaukee, Wisconsin. The vast majority of Marr's work was merchant store cards. Patriotic tokens, like this one, are unusual. These are examples of "stock dies" which Marr paired with the custom die that he made for a specific merchant. For example, here is the storecard Marr issued for his own business, Mossin and Marr.

It has been suggested that pieces like the one in the OP were made for salesmen who were marketing Marr's tokens to merchants. They offered examples of what a stock die design looked like, if the merchant decided to use it for one side of his token. Since this piece is made of silver, it was probably struck for collectors.

"The naked Amazon" as this design is often called was inspired by the the painting "Liberty leading the people." There were a lot of failed revolutions in Europe in 1848. Many Europeans, like Marr, immigrated to the United States to avoid political persecution. This painting was a symbol of those revolutionary movements.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options

Bill, You are a wealth of good information. Thanks!!

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,489 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is only theory on my part, but I think the reverse with the eagle perched on a cannon was the one of Marr's "1864" stock dies. The Naked Amazon and another eagle were his "1863" designs. There are two minor variations of the 1863 eagle.

The "Liberty for All" design appearing sparingly. I think the reason is that the Union Government outlawed the use of Civil War tokens in April of 1864. He didn't get to use the new designs that much. The "America" in the middle of the wreath and stars was the other 1864 design.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options

Bill, Here is the same "Liberty For All" in silver. Again, just graded by PCGS.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file