Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Desert Shield packs from an old group rip from BBCE

2»

Comments

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭✭

@swish54 said:
    Stupid question here coming from someone who's never owned a pack of these, but can you not see through the pack to see the DS emblem on the top card?

That is what is so scary about DS. there is no definitive way to know without opening the pack. If I had a full box, I would always be questioning it. even if it were authenticated.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    RufussCkingstonRufussCkingston Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭✭

@craig44 said:

That is what is so scary about DS. there is no definitive way to know without opening the pack. If I had a full box, I would always be questioning it. even if it were authenticated.

It's like having a case of 1st edition Pokemon base set boxes BBCE wrapped..... You don't know if it's just GI Joe cards in there!!! :D

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RufussCkingston said:

@craig44 said:

It's like having a case of 1st edition Pokemon base set boxes BBCE wrapped..... You don't know if it's just GI Joe cards in there!!! :D

well, I wasnt going to come right out and say it, but since you already did...

I was actually thinking you could pull the real DS packs and replace with standard 91 Topps and more than likely your theft would never be found out.

truthfully, would it even really matter? The majority of unopened collectors will never remove the shrink wrap. The majority of those who do will then never actually open the packs themselves.

I would feel very very uneasy if I were sitting on any DS unopened.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,289 ✭✭✭✭✭

@craig44 said:

@RufussCkingston said:

@craig44 said:

well, I wasnt going to come right out and say it, but since you already did...

I was actually thinking you could pull the real DS packs and replace with standard 91 Topps and more than likely your theft would never be found out.

truthfully, would it even really matter? The majority of unopened collectors will never remove the shrink wrap. The majority of those who do will then never actually open the packs themselves.

I would feel very very uneasy if I were sitting on any DS unopened.

On a tangent, I feel the same way towards those that own wrapped factory sets from the 90s to now. Most will never open them, but if they do, they will likely realize all they've really ever owned was a worthless brick of now stuck together cards in a neat decorative box.

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,543 ✭✭✭✭✭

There have been a number of Desert Shield breaks over the years and each time the packs were completely legit packs containing Desert Shield cards. I do understand the concern about the packaging from those early days but for those who bought the packs direct from BBCE via past CU group breaks like those who posted packs above, I would not have any doubt the packs contained Desert Shield cards.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.