What’s your favorite modern quarter?

2»

Comments

• Options
    Mr_SpudMr_Spud Posts: 4,809 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mr_Spud

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,663 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is still the first 1999 Delaware Quarter. I was born and raised in the state, and there not a lot of Delaware items to collect until recent times.

The Caesar Rodney statue on the reverse is no longer on display in Wilmington. It was removed during the 2020 riots to save it from the vandals. It commemorated Caesar Rodney's ride in heavy weather to Philadelphia which broke the tie in the Delaware delegation for the vote for Independence.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,799 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like the LGF portrait, but no interest in the reverses that have accompanied it. The typography of that obverse is a mess, though. Original hand drawn LIBERTY with an unrelated serif font for the date and a third unrelated font for IGWT. Ruins cohesiveness.

I think the national parks quarters as a series are probably my favorites. Nicely done with cohesive designs and consistency across the series. Strategic use of the different finishes worked well, too.

• Options
    Che_GrapesChe_Grapes Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭✭✭

@messydesk said:
    I like the LGF portrait, but no interest in the reverses that have accompanied it. The typography of that obverse is a mess, though. Original hand drawn LIBERTY with an unrelated serif font for the date and a third unrelated font for IGWT. Ruins cohesiveness.

I think the national parks quarters as a series are probably my favorites. Nicely done with cohesive designs and consistency across the series. Strategic use of the different finishes worked well, too.

Fully agree - and that’s why I love the 5oz bullion versions!

• Options
    OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 6,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

No way!!!

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options
    FloridafacelifterFloridafacelifter Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    JimTylerJimTyler Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options

@Floridafacelifter - What happened here?

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options
    edited November 14, 2023 6:27PM

@OAKSTAR said:

This quarter was struck on an 1898 $5, I guess there wasn’t enough gold in the half eagle to fill out the strike.

Cool coin- only known gold Washington quarter.

• Options

Very nice!! Thanks! 👍🏻

• Options
    gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,478 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 14, 2023 6:35PM

~~~~> @Floridafacelifter said:

Mint shenanigans. I still don't know how these are allowed to be owned. Impossible for an 1898 $5 gold coin to legitimately be overstruck by 1970 coin dies by the US Mint.

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• Options

@gumby1234 said:
    ~~~~> @Floridafacelifter said:

Mint shenanigans. I still don't know how these are allowed to be owned. Impossible for an 1898 $5 gold coin to legitimately be overstruck by 1970 coin dies by the US Mint.

Guess you’re not buying the “stuck in the feeder for 72 years” explanation?

• Options

@Floridafacelifter No I am not especially because the coin was proof and hand fed in. The 70's were known for many many mint shenanigans especially proof ones. Hard to believe the Secret Service let these into collectors hands. Somebody must have paid someone off handsomely.

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,799 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Floridafacelifter said:

@OAKSTAR said:

This quarter was struck on an 1898 $5, I guess there wasn’t enough gold in the half eagle to fill out the strike.

Cool coin- only known gold Washington quarter.

I wonder if the partial print is that of one of the shenanigists. (shenanigers? shenanigizers? shenanigarians? shenanigasters?)

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,056 ✭✭✭✭✭

A personal favorite. But I have an affordability issue when it comes to mules.

Photos courtesy of PCGS CoinFacts.

• Options

@TwoSides2aCoin said:
    A personal favorite. But I have an affordability issue when it comes to mules.

Photos courtesy of PCGS CoinFacts.

Its a beauty and rare as there is only 1 known. Has to be more mint shenanigans thou. Technically not a quarter.

• Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,328 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 15, 2023 11:35AM

Another option is this: mint dies have occasionally gotten out of their possession and are in the hands of individuals that may do as they will with them. Many years ago I saw with my own eyes dies, some defaced and some not.
    I know of a couple of people that indeed have dies and have done such with them (NOT ME). At least one has died of old age.
    Is this gold "quarter" from Mr. Byers?

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 15,161 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CoinHoarder said:
    Cupronickel coins, from 1965 to date, are the ones that I would personally consider, "modernn" quarters.

Here is my 1965. MS 66 TOO!

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    Mr_SpudMr_Spud Posts: 4,809 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don’t think this one is anybody’s favorite 🤮

Mr_Spud

• Options
    NeophyteNumismatistNeophyteNumismatist Posts: 934 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 15, 2023 4:43PM

It doesn't get more modern than 2023. The lettering on the reverse portrait is a little busy and hard to follow, but those fields... those marvelous, old fashioned fields!

I am a newer collector (started April 2020), and I primarily focus on U.S. Half Cents and Type Coins. Early copper is my favorite.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file