Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1822/1 Bust 50c

logger7logger7 Posts: 8,244 ✭✭✭✭✭

I had this for a while but missed the overdate. Finally sent it in for grading where the 1822/1 overdate came up. Why are these so hard to see?

Comments

• Options
    Pnies20Pnies20 Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭✭✭

It’s not a true overdate but some debris caught in the die of the second 2.

BHNC #248 … 121 and counting.

• Options
    pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭✭✭

So, a little more to @Pnies20 's explanation

The 22/1's were for years recognized as an overdate Variety, and is still shown as such at PCGS and NGC (and to my knowledge all other services), and still carried as such in almost all publications including the Redbook (again to my knowledge).

However, as related by Edgar E. Souders in Bust Half Fever, the overdate was debunked by Dr. Ivan Leaman as debris in the dies on both the 22/1 O-101 and O-102 Die Marriages (the only two for the variety).

Further, Edgar wrote that he believed, ... that the debris is the emanation of a defective partial punch field along with some die wear. This is logical as a "2" punch was likely one of the most difficult to manufacture due to the "2" numeral's odd shape.

And also, But what about the remnant or line near the inner curl of the "2"? This too, is punch field debris. a common graver slip. or extreme die wear.

So, that fact you hadn't noticed it might mean you already knew it wasn't what it purported to be. ;)

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options
    jacrispiesjacrispies Posts: 760 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great explanations above! Not a bad looking coin, I would call it XF Details. Very sharp!

"But seek ye first the kingdom of God and His righteousness and all these things shall be added unto you" Matthew 6:33. Young fellow suffering from Bust Half fever.
    BHNC #AN-10
    JRCS #1606

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,244 ✭✭✭✭✭

@pursuitofliberty said:
    So, a little more to @Pnies20 's explanation

The 22/1's were for years recognized as an overdate Variety, and is still shown as such at PCGS and NGC (and to my knowledge all other services), and still carried as such in almost all publications including the Redbook (again to my knowledge).

However, as related by Edgar E. Souders in Bust Half Fever, the overdate was debunked by Dr. Ivan Leaman as debris in the dies on both the 22/1 O-101 and O-102 Die Marriages (the only two for the variety).

Further, Edgar wrote that he believed, ... that the debris is the emanation of a defective partial punch field along with some die wear. This is logical as a "2" punch was likely one of the most difficult to manufacture due to the "2" numeral's odd shape.

And also, But what about the remnant or line near the inner curl of the "2"? This too, is punch field debris. a common graver slip. or extreme die wear.

So, that fact you hadn't noticed it might mean you already knew it wasn't what it purported to be. ;)

And Redbook calls it "so-called" 1822/1. The o-102 is much tougher.

• Options
    pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭✭✭

@logger7 Thanks for the info' on the Redbook. I suppose that is somewhat new. I'm afraid to admit the latest copy I have. It isn't from this century.

Damn, that get's me thinking. How many of them have I given away in that time?

And yes, the O-102 is the much more difficult Die Marriage.

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Now I gotta go look at mine now for a refresh 🙄

• Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭✭✭

["that the debris is the emanation of a defective partial punch field along with some die wear. This is logical as a "2" punch was likely one of the most difficult to manufacture due to the "2" numeral's odd shape."]

Not much to tell by except for the thickness of the last 2.

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options
    Herb_THerb_T Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file