Home U.S. Coin Forum

I created Numi: The World's Most Powerful Coin Grading and Identification AI, powered by ChatGPT4.

13»

Comments

• AlbumNerdAlbumNerd Posts: 183 ✭✭✭
    edited November 25, 2023 3:34PM

Numi v1.30 alpha is now live!

I have added PCGS integration so users can easily scan their PCGS slabs and pull up

• CoinFacts
    • TrueView images [if they exist]
    • Previous auction prices

The use case I thought of when building out this feature was for users who are at a coin show or coin shop and want to pull up info on a PCGS slab. What makes this more powerful than just using the PCGS CoinFacts app is that Numi can pull up slab info and remember it as context in your conversation thread. So users can follow up the conversation and ask follow-up questions like

• "Has this coin been getting more or less valuable over time?"
    • "Do the TrueView images look correct for this slab?" [Essentially a counterfeit/authentication check]
    • "What are some interesting facts about this coin?"

Live Video Demo

In other fun news, I was invited by the Coin World Podcast team to discuss Numi and my thoughts on the future of Artificial Intelligence's impact on Numismatics

Spotify
    Other Podcast Links

More updates to come

• AlanSkiAlanSki Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭✭✭

Try these if you can.

@AlanSki said:
    Try these if you can

MS-60 to MS-62

• AlanSkiAlanSki Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’ll post the results in a day after my GTG is over.

• CRHer700CRHer700 Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭✭✭

@gumby1234 said:
    I wouldn't put ChatGPT on my devices even if it wasn't $20 a month.

AI is pure evil, I would stay away from it.

God Bless, CRHer700 :mrgreen:
    Do unto others what you expect to be done to you.
    Dubbed a "Committee Secret Agent" by @mr1931S on 7/23/24

• ZwiggyZwiggy Posts: 41 ✭✭✭

I’m sorry to hear this after reading this interesting thread. Do you think that if you got some consistency in the photos it would’ve led to a different conclusion? For instance, if one created a jig which moved in a controlled manner in control lighting?

• This might be an oddball question but here I go. Is there any way to get the AI to define its grading formula? If there was a scientific formula for grading coins that would solve a lot of problems.
    Can you get the AI to produce this formula instead of producing coin grades?

The substantial truth doctrine is an important defense in defamation law that allows individuals to avoid liability if the gist of their statement was true.

• yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,727 ✭✭✭✭✭

Why would you want the AI grading formula if it is not accurate and thus not usable?
    We already have the ANA Grading Standards book which has objective and simple criteria.

• @yosclimber said:
    Why would you want the AI grading formula if it is not accurate and thus not usable?
    We already have the ANA Grading Standards book which has objective and simple criteria.

Currently there isn't a scientific formula for grading coins. If the AI can make an example other people might be able to refine it into something correct. My dad is an engineer and says "If you cannot write a scientific formula for it, you don't know shit about it."
    Until we get a formula for coin grading, it will continue to be a subjective mess.

The substantial truth doctrine is an important defense in defamation law that allows individuals to avoid liability if the gist of their statement was true.

edited December 21, 2023 11:40AM

What is not scientific about the ANA Grading Standards book?

It does not cover the higher MS grades. Is that what you meant?

How about the PCGS book?

• RiveraFamilyCollectRiveraFamilyCollect Posts: 573 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 21, 2023 11:41AM

They give subjective descriptions of the grades and do not provide a formula.

I'll admit I am mostly thinking of circulated grades, like "3 letters of LIBERTY" for Indian cents and Barbers VG-8.
    That is definitely a formula.
    And for EF-45, AU-50, AU-55, there is a % luster formula.

• gonzergonzer Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 10, 2024 2:52AM

• It looks to me that shadows and toning throw the AI off with gold. Maybe the AI needs to see several images of the same coin taken when it is tipped and rotated as we did in the grading class. Maybe they need to program the computer to view a video of both sides of the coin while it is moved around. Seems to me a whole lot of trouble to get a grade that is just another opinion. The idea of taking a phone image of an ancient coin or an islamic coin and having AI ID it is a great one.

• RexfordRexford Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 25, 2023 2:48AM

@RiveraFamilyCollect said:

@yosclimber said:

Currently there isn't a scientific formula for grading coins. If the AI can make an example other people might be able to refine it into something correct. My dad is an engineer and says "If you cannot write a scientific formula for it, you don't know shit about it."
    Until we get a formula for coin grading, it will continue to be a subjective mess.

The grading system is not subjective because the system itself is not understood. We devised the system. A coin either has wear or it doesn’t, and it can have a certain amount of surface damage or not. Those are objective characteristics. The grading system is subjective because of the following:

-Every coin is different. No coin below 70 is in an exactly identical state. Every grade below 70 is a net grade. Thus an MS63 (as an example) is a range of conditions, not a single physical state. Every unique coin must be placed into a range, which means there is no simple formula that applies to all coins.

-There are differences in the way different series are approached. Early large cents are graded with leniency towards surface corrosion. Early gold is graded with leniency towards cleaning. Standards have also changed over time in various areas.

-Ultimately, graders are human. It is the grader’s task to place each coin into the proper grade (aka range of conditions) with respect to the standards of the the coin’s series - but humans are neither identical to one another nor perfectly consistent. And sometimes a coin seems to lie on the line between one grade and the next, or between a details grade and a net grade. Those coins will not necessarily, and perhaps should not, receive the same grade every time they are sent in, because even the most discerning and experienced humans will not always line up on them - and the end users, collectors, are also only human. If AI were to assign an identical grade to such a coin every time, that might be seen as problematic to those who lean towards the other of the two possible grades. Perhaps it is our treatment of assigned grades as objective in the marketplace, and not this sort of human variability, that is problematic.

A simple “formula” will not solve any of the above issues in any way that would be helpful for human graders, especially since any “formula” would simply be drawn from our own grading formulas that we have devised. If AI were to grade coins itself, it might be able to eliminate the problems associated with the human aspect of grading, but it is only as good as the inputs that it is given. It can only learn what an MS64 is based on our own ideas of what an MS64 is, and learn how to approach a certain series based on our (current) standards of how to approach that series.

• mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 6,197 ✭✭✭✭✭

All the AI I need for grading a coin is between my ears.

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

Apologies for the long delay in replying. Been doing some traveling!

@Zwiggy said:
    I’m sorry to hear this after reading this interesting thread. Do you think that if you got some consistency in the photos it would’ve led to a different conclusion? For instance, if one created a jig which moved in a controlled manner in control lighting?

I don't think consistency in photos would have led to more accurate grading by Numi. I took pains to make sure my photos had consistent lighting and it still led to inconsistent results at lower grades.

IMO, the next step to get AI grading off the ground would have to be a stronger visual AI model. Specifically, a model that can handle video input. Thankfully AI is advancing quickly. I'm excited for the day where I can get my hands on an AI model where I can pull up a camera and the AI can determine a coin's grade based on the user moving a camera around a coin. Telling me in real time what it thinks the grade is.

@RiveraFamilyCollect said:
    This might be an oddball question but here I go. Is there any way to get the AI to define its grading formula? If there was a scientific formula for grading coins that would solve a lot of problems.
    Can you get the AI to produce this formula instead of producing coin grades?

It is possible to have an AI define its grading formula in the sense that initially with Numi, I did ask it to draft up descriptive grading criteria based on the Sheldon Scale. However, I would stress that the AI is essentially hashing together all the info it was trained on which includes many opinions on the Sheldon Scale. It wasn't creating a new objective standard.

• knovak1976knovak1976 Posts: 291 ✭✭✭

@knovak1976 said:

Before I send them in….😉

Just received my coins back from PCGS. 1951 PF64
    1950 PF64CAM

Was hoping for a tiny bit better….🤔

@knovak1976 Thanks for following up!

Numi had guessed PR-68 for the 1950 and MS-65 for the 1951. Off on the 1950, but close with the 1951!

I agree, I would have guessed higher for the 1950

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file