Home Sports Talk
Options

Most unforgiving fan base?

doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,084 ✭✭✭✭✭

In your opinion, which fan base is the hardest on their team?

Comments

• Options
    LandrysFedoraLandrysFedora Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭✭✭

Philly without a doubt.

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,555 ✭✭✭✭✭

didnt the Philadelphia fans once boo Santa Clause?

and Mike Schmidt?

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,774 ✭✭✭✭✭

The fan base of Philly being mean is an absolute myth. Frankly, I am appalled by some of the comments on here.

Why i for one, for many years, have advocated when throwing batteries at opposing players, that the larger D batteries should not be used, and preferably use the smaller AA size. While the AA batteries may not have the stopping power of the D size, the smaller size can result in a further more accurate throw, which is also more humane to the target.

Now how can any sports fan be much nicer than that?

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stevek said:
    The fan base of Philly being mean is an absolute myth. Frankly, I am appalled by some of the comments on here.

Why i for one, for many years, have advocated when throwing batteries at opposing players, that the larger D batteries should not be used, and preferably use the smaller AA size. While the AA batteries may not have the stopping power of the D size, the smaller size can result in a further more accurate throw, which is also more humane to the target.

AAA?

• Options

@thisistheshow said:

@stevek said:

AAA?

The AAA's are for opposing cheerleaders. 😆

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,555 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stevek said:

Perhaps C cells would be a good compromise? They still have good stopping power, but can be thrown with more speed than a D cell.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    Basebal21Basebal21 Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭✭

@craig44 said:
    didnt the Philadelphia fans once boo Santa Clause?

and Mike Schmidt?

They not only booed Santa they threw snowballs and ice balls at him as well. Philly is definitely the answer for US. There was also a Philly fan that drove down to Nationals park to intentionally throw up on people because Werth signed with them. Funny enough the fans they picked were an off duty cop and his kid so that didnt end well for him

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,489 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Los Angeles Ram fans are spoiled. They got a Super Bowl and think they should get it every year.

Last season, when the Rams fell apart, someone asked if it was worth it to put everything into one season to win a championship if the team went bad for a number of season because of that.

My answer is yes. The fans from places like New York, Los Angeles, San Francisco and Boston get spoiled. They are big market teams who have lots of money. If you are from some place like Pittsburgh, your team doesn't have the money. If you make the play offs you are happy.

Philly fans are mean because they have gotten a lot of disappointments through the years. The Eagles won the NFL championship in 1960. They didn't win the Super Bowl until 2017. The Phillies didn't win a World Series until 1980. Prior to that, they had never won it, since they moved to Philly in 1883. The 76ers had a great team that beat the Celtics once. Not long after that, they won less than 10 games for the entire season.

There is story about the Baker Bowl, where the Phillies played and lost many times in the early 1900s. One day a fire started across the street. The game was so boring that the attendees left their seats to go look at it. The grandstand collapsed under them as a result injuring a number of fans. The Phillies used to hold the record for the most losses in the history of the Major Leagues, That is probably still true.

And old Philly fans, like me, will never forget what happened in 1964.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    VikingDudeVikingDude Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭

@BillJones said:
    Philly fans are mean because they have gotten a lot of disappointments through the years. The Eagles won the NFL championship in 1960. They didn't win the Super Bowl until 2017. The Phillies didn't win a World Series until 1980. Prior to that, they had never won it, since they moved to Philly in 1883. The 76ers had a great team that beat the Celtics once. Not long after that, they won less than 10 games for the entire season.

That doesn't make people mean. That may make a person angry but if that made them mean then Minnesota would have the meanest fans in the world. But we are still civil and decent to visiting teams.

• Options
    miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭✭✭

@doubledragon said:

In my opinion, I'd vote for Columbian football (aka Soccer) fan base, as they murdered one of their footballers, Andres Escobar, after an own-goal.

• Options

@miwlvrn said:

@doubledragon said:

In my opinion, I'd vote for Columbian football (aka Soccer) fan base, as they murdered one of their footballers, Andres Escobar, after an own-goal.

If were going internationally as well, soccer fans take the cake by miles. They murder players, behead refs, throw lit torches at each other, massive brawls etc. They make philly fans look like kind gentle people

• Options

@Basebal21 said:

@miwlvrn said:

@doubledragon said:

If were going internationally as well, soccer fans take the cake by miles. They murder players, behead refs, throw lit torches at each other, massive brawls etc. They make philly fans look like kind gentle people

"They make philly fans look like kind gentle people"

I don't particularly like that we're not in the top tier any longer internationally.

We're just going to have to step it up, that's all. 😎

• Options

@stevek said:

@Basebal21 said:

@miwlvrn said:

@doubledragon said:

"They make philly fans look like kind gentle people"

I don't particularly like that we're not in the top tier any longer internationally.

We're just going to have to step it up, that's all. 😎

Haha thats probably not a title you want over some of them. Theres a Serbian team that fans bring an actual tank too, South American teams have killed players and ref and so on. I think sticking with throwing snowballs at Santa is the perfect level of crazy lol

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

Fans being jerks (Philly) isn't the same as being hard on their team.

My answer is Toronto. Toronto is incredibly hard on the Maple Leafs.

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,054 ✭✭✭✭✭

Any teams fan base when the team does not cover the point spread. :)

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options

@BLUEJAYWAY said:
    Any teams fan base when the team does not cover the point spread. :)

Completely agree with that. I've always believed that the main reason for fights breaking out in stadiums, isn't usually from alcohol, but from a hissed off gambler taking a bath on the game, and something sets him off.

I've often told others who may not know better, when a gambler is getting killed from bad luck, don't talk to him, don't look at him, and particularly don't joke around with him, even if you're friends with the guy. Basically Just leave him alone and let him cool off.

• Options
    MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,619 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stevek said:

I take umbrage with your comment about the batteries. When one takes into account the goal of sending a projectile to an opponent, one must perfect his effort, and take into account kinetic energy. A well hidden slingshot, coupled with D size batteries would enable the desired effect to reach maximum force and impact the opponent as desired. Surely some of the Philly Faithful had this figured out though. We're more civilized in Boston, (Whitey Bulger is gone), no murdering or beheading, maybe a hospital visit.

Well, I actually thought the Fenway Faithful were pretty rough, but Philly ??? You guys make us all look like altar boys. Read below as we tiptoe through history. Throwing snowballs at the fat guy in red would be considered a sacrilege in Foxborough, this guy brings toys to children, what's wrong with you people? :o

https://www.thedp.com/article/2020/12/penn-football-franklin-field-eagles-santa

• Options
    MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,619 ✭✭✭✭✭

Life in Fenway Park B)
    This during the WONDERFUL days of Don Orsillo and Jerry Remy, the latter now sadly deceased.

Please note the fan who is in disbelieve of having the player elbow his beer and the deep sadness when he realizses his beer cup has been severly emptied. The agrieved fan (the pizza recipient), appears to invite the sender of said pizza toss to have an in-depth discussion about the incident.

Ah, the joys of Boston and Fenway Park. For those rabble rousing fans, please take note as to how no batteries were involved, just a $10 dollar slice of pizza and a $10 beer. On second thought the battery thing might have been better, but this was close combat.

ENJOY!!

https://duckduckgo.com/?va=t&t=hb&q=video+of+red+sox+fan+losing+his+pizza&iax=videos&ia=videos&iai=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MH4LCFmThHE

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭

I suppose there are factors that must be considered... Philly seems to be a reasonable choice predicated on past behavior worthy of the honor

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options

@MCMLVTopps said:

@stevek said:

I take umbrage with your comment about the batteries. When one takes into account the goal of sending a projectile to an opponent, one must perfect his effort, and take into account kinetic energy. A well hidden slingshot, coupled with D size batteries would enable the desired effect to reach maximum force and impact the opponent as desired. Surely some of the Philly Faithful had this figured out though. We're more civilized in Boston, (Whitey Bulger is gone), no murdering or beheading, maybe a hospital visit.

Well, I actually thought the Fenway Faithful were pretty rough, but Philly ??? You guys make us all look like altar boys. Read below as we tiptoe through history. Throwing snowballs at the fat guy in red would be considered a sacrilege in Foxborough, this guy brings toys to children, what's wrong with you people? :o

https://www.thedp.com/article/2020/12/penn-football-franklin-field-eagles-santa

I only wish I coulda been there. I've got a pretty good arm. I think i coulda nailed Santa a few times with some well placed snowballs.