Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Mexico 1732-1771 1 reales PCGC & NGC population reports?

PillarDollarCollectorPillarDollarCollector Posts: 4,800 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited November 4, 2023 5:05PM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

As you guys know that is the series I collect. My question is why so few have been graded take the 1756 for example. Are they just in bad grades and most decide not to have them graded or are there truly so few out there in the wild? PCGS has graded even less 1 reales from this series than NGC. I am finding myself having to buy raw coins and will have to send them in for grading to NGC.

Coin collecting interests: Latin America

Sports: NFL & NHL

Comments

• Options

For a while there there was only one 1755 graded now in the last few months a few more were added. For that date I own the highest graded by NGC (low numerical grade).

• Options
    ELuisELuis Posts: 844 ✭✭✭✭✭

Do you have the 1753 Mo M in MS62 NGC?

• Options
    edited November 4, 2023 5:43PM

@ELuis said:
    Do you have the 1753 Mo M in MS62 NGC?

PM sent.

• Options
    WCCWCC Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PillarDollarCollector said:
    Are they just in bad grades and most decide not to have them graded or are there truly so few out there in the wild?

It's some of both, but it also depends upon how many you expect to exist.

I've never seen mintage records (it's not broken out by denomination), but I use Liberty Seated dimes as a baseline where my inference is that the survival rates (but not usually mintages) are noticeably lower.

• Options
    edited November 18, 2023 12:12PM

@WCC said:

Are they just in bad grades and most decide not to have them graded or are there truly so few out there in the wild?

I've never seen mintage records (it's not broken out by denomination), but I use Liberty Seated dimes as a baseline where my inference is that the survival rates (but not usually mintages) are noticeably lower.

I do not know how truly rare some are I just base myself on Brad Yonaka's book and population reports. It is OK will buy some raw coins and send them to NGC until I find better over the years to come. I give them an acetone bath and then rinse under fresh acetone then put them in 2 by 2 mylar flips. Will send batches of 8-12 coins at a time to NGC. The acetone is just precaution for possible PVC.

• Options
    edited November 19, 2023 12:25PM

@WCC said:

I had gotten to use to the availability of the milled 8 reales from 1732-1771 (not many 1732 or 1733 came up for sale but they did over time). The minors are a different story from those years. I will adjust and buy what I can till I find better. Just buying better coins would be simply to boring and slow. What I have and buy will have to do for the here and now.

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,877 ✭✭✭✭✭

This was the first MS65 Mexican 1R graded. I bought it raw in Germany for like $150.

• Options
    edited November 20, 2023 3:41PM

@Boosibri said:
    This was the first MS65 Mexican 1R graded. I bought it raw in Germany for like $150.

You did very well I imagine it now to be 4000$+ congrats and she is a beauty!!! I will not be collecting MS64 or higher simply out of my financial range. I would if I could.

• Options

@Boosibri said:

What year did you purchase the coin for that price? They have went up a lot since then.

• Options
    JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭✭✭

Boosibri said:

What year did you purchase the coin for that price? They have went up a lot since then.

Circa 2016 +-

• Options

@JohnnyCache said:

Boosibri said:

Circa 2016 +-

About that, I was in Ireland so 2014-2015 on the house I was in then. I stole the coin for that price. Sold it for $4500 if I recall 2-3yrs ago and wish I had it back.

• Options
    edited November 20, 2023 3:42PM

@Boosibri said:

@JohnnyCache said:

Boosibri said:

Circa 2016 +-

About that, I was in Ireland so 2014-2015 on the house I was in then. I stole the coin for that price. Sold it for $4500 if I recall 2-3yrs ago and wish I had it back.

At least you made a massive profit congrats!!! How much do you evaluate it in today's market?

• Options

@Boosibri said:

@JohnnyCache said:

Boosibri said:

Circa 2016 +-

At least you made a massive profit congrats!!! How much do you evaluate it in today's market?

$5500-$6500 I’d guess but could go $4500 or $7500 too.

• Options

@Boosibri said:

@Boosibri said:

@JohnnyCache said:

Boosibri said:

Circa 2016 +-

$5500-$6500 I’d guess but could go $4500 or $7500 too.

I would say you did very well.