Home U.S. Coin Forum

what does a planchet lamination do to the value of a coin?

davewesendavewesen Posts: 6,014 ✭✭✭✭✭

The copper nickel mix seems to be the worst, but also found in other coin mixes.

What do you feel about a lamination error that after minting has had a chunk flake off?
hard pass, decreases value, same value, increases value, you need to be an error collector to have any interest.... ?
use this 1865 three cent nickel as example

Comments

• coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 11,085 ✭✭✭✭✭

Coins like this are a hard pass for me unless very cheap. But I certainly recognize that there are collectors that find this type of coin very exciting and a real prize.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,753 ✭✭✭✭✭

If it's a common date - find another. IMHO its not worth the expenses on a rare one.

WS

Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,963 ✭✭✭✭

I collect Buffalo nickels. Numerous coins have lamination issues in the series. To me, a lamination cuts the value significantly. I always chuckle when I see people on eBay trying to sell them for a premium.

• Tom147Tom147 Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭✭✭

No interest for me. Like buying a classic car with rust on it.

• BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm in the minority. I've never met a lamination I didn't like.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭✭

A lamination can add value to a modern common date coin. For the old, classic material, it’s a negative, often a big negative.

The late Roger Cohen, who wrote the classic book on half cent varieties, had a 1793 half that had a huge lamination on the obverse. The coin was high grade, probably an EF with good color and surfaces. Trouble was the lamination took many thousands of dollars off the value. The coin in plated in his half cent book.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, this is especially true with a valuable coin, like a 1793 half (cent), but with this coin, I'd say that it modestly increases it's value. Not rare on nickel, much rarer on a silver coin.

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.
  • CoinRaritiesOnlineCoinRaritiesOnline Posts: 3,654 ✭✭✭✭

For me it reduces the value by 100% since I do not buy coins with laminations on them. YMMV.

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,229 ✭✭✭✭✭

Laminations are the "kiss of death" when it comes to coin value. Pass, Pass, Pass!

All glory is fleeting.
  • ApplejacksApplejacks Posts: 384 ✭✭✭

@coinbuf said:
    Coins like this are a hard pass for me unless very cheap. But I certainly recognize that there are collectors that find this type of coin very exciting and a real prize.

I like them personally.

• TypekatTypekat Posts: 256 ✭✭✭✭

For me, on the coin pictured (a medium grade, inexpensive common date) the lamination makes it ‘worth a look.’

30+ years coin shop experience (ret.) Coins, bullion, currency, scrap & interesting folks. Loved every minute!

Judging from the comments in this thread it looks like there is profit potential for someone who buys them dirt cheap and then sells them to collectors who think they are "cool".

All glory is fleeting.
  • retirednowretirednow Posts: 506 ✭✭✭✭✭

For me ... the Rarity of the piece impacts the amount of discount .. if any

• FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,779 ✭✭✭✭✭

That three cent nickel with the lamination posted above, would bring a decent premium as an error coin

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • davewesendavewesen Posts: 6,014 ✭✭✭✭✭

a wide range of ideas and opinions on lamination errors like this one

I guess that is what makes coin collecting interesting to me ... a wide range of denominations and metals that some people like and other people pass on every time

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 33,263 ✭✭✭✭✭

@291fifth said:
    Judging from the comments in this thread it looks like there is profit potential for someone who buys them dirt cheap and then sells them to collectors who think they are "cool".

Only if you can find enough people who think they are cool. I think there are more coins than buyers

@FredWeinberg said:
    That three cent nickel with the lamination posted above, would bring a decent premium as an error coin

As I said above, buy it cheap and sell it to someone who thinks it is "cool" for a big profit. To me the coin is an ultra-dog common date three cent nickel.

All glory is fleeting.
  • sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@291fifth said:

Only if you can find enough people who think they are cool. I think there are more coins than buyers

Probably true, so I'd stick to good examples of the error. The three cent pictured is a pretty good example of a lamination and that's why I judged it to be worth a premium. A more dramatic example would be worth more and have more potential buyers. "How dramatic" is often the biggest part of an error's value.

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.
  • jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 33,263 ✭✭✭✭✭

@sellitstore said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@291fifth said:

Probably true, so I'd stick to good examples of the error. The three cent pictured is a pretty good example of a lamination and that's why I judged it to be worth a premium. A more dramatic example would be worth more and have more potential buyers. "How dramatic" is often the biggest part of an error's value.

That is certainly an extreme lamination. But, as this thread demonstrates, the majority of collectors weren't enthralled with it.

• gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭✭✭

How about this one?

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

very nice ... or melt pile depending on your perspective :)

• BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭✭✭

Years ago on the Bay a seller had a xf 09-S VDB cent. Had a moderate lamination. Price was raised due to the lam. So in this case the seller felt the lam enhanced the key date value not detracted it. So it can go either way. Error can enhance or detract from a key date. Never did follow the final price of the cent,if it sold st all.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".

The following is a 1945-P Jefferson nickel. It has some detached but ALSO is the DDR. Sadly, I do not feel the combination helps value in this case.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file