Home U.S. Coin Forum

CACG 1945 WLH Missing Initials (FS-901) Accidental Cherry Pick?

UpGrayeddUpGrayedd Posts: 573 ✭✭✭✭✭

First let me state that I know my photography skills are lacking. However, I hope that they are adequate enough for everyone to render an opinion.

As I mentioned in another thread I originally purchased this coin because I wanted a CACG "L" legacy coin for my slab collection, even if it is an NGC cast off. ;) I paid a little more than I normally would have for a MS65 1945 WLH, although it was still very inexpensive and suited my purpose.

When I got the coin in hand I discovered what I believe is a FS-901 Missing Initials variety. When I hold the coin at a certain angle and squint really hard I can see possible remnants of where the initials should be, but there really isn't much there. What do you guys think, do I have the FS-901?

Philippians 4:4-7

Comments

• UpGrayeddUpGrayedd Posts: 573 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sorry to bump my own thread, but I really was hoping for some opinions, even if it is your pics aren't good enough to tell. I know that this might not be everyone's cup of tea, but the FS-901 in MS65 has a PCGS guide value of $1,750 as opposed to $165 so there is definitely some upside if it is the variety.

As I said in my original post, at the correct angle you can see "something" where initials should be, but it is not a clearly defined "AW" so I don't know if this coin would qualify or not. If anyone does think it qualifies, I'm interested in thoughts on what I should do next. Currently I don't think CACG attributes this variety and even if they do, I can't submit (I'm currently number 284 on the wait list).

I've added pics of the coin from CACG's website if that helps anyone give an opinion.

• IkesTIkesT Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭✭✭

Based on the experience of @joeykoins , it seems like getting attribution on this particular variety is a gamble. His was the same variety and same grade, but originally in an NGC holder. His coin also had a faint trace of the designer's initials visible. The TrueViews on CoinFacts also have a trace of the initials visible, and also have other matching die markers in common with his coin, but PCGS would nevertheless not attribute it as the variety. It did cross for the grade, however, and I believe he kept it unattributed in the PCGS holder, rather than trying for the attribution with other TPGs. He has a thread on this coin, but I can't seem to find it at the moment.

• joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 15,374 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 29, 2023 8:23PM

😆
    Hi bud! Yeah, I experienced the unfortunate letdown on this variety! Bad memories. If I can find my old thread on this, I'll bump it for ya guys.
    :D
    https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1059894/post-your-crossovers-successful-or-not

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • UpGrayeddUpGrayedd Posts: 573 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks @IkesT and @JoeyCoins. Seeing Joey's coin was helpful and if his didn't make it I'm less optimistic about mine. Luckily I didn't purchase it for the variety, and it will still serve its purpose in my collection.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file