Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The American Liberty silver for 2024 and the High Relief gold $100 to use 1794 flowing hair design

From Coin World - did you guys see this?

“The United States Mint’s American Liberty gold coin and silver medal series, launched in 2015, has, to date, been all about experimentation — about offering new interpretations of Liberty not bound by historical precedent. Starting in 2024, however, the program will return to Liberty’s historical roots, resurrecting the designs used on the nation’s first silver dollar, released in 1794.

The American Liberty .999 fine silver medal for 2024 and the High Relief .9999 fine gold $100 coin will use the 1794 Flowing Hair dollar designs.

Chief Engraver Robert Scot designed and engraved the designs for the 1794 Flowing Hair silver dollar, which was first issued on Oct. 15, 1794. The fledging federal Mint at Philadelphia struck maybe 2,000 pieces total, of which 1,758 were of sufficient high quality to be delivered. The 242 or so undelivered coins were apparently not destroyed; at least one was used as a planchet for a 1795 Flowing Hair dollar.

The extreme rarity of the 1794 Flowing Hair dollar and prestigious position it holds as the first federal coin of its denomination virtually ensures that the two upcoming issues, especially the silver medal version to be released in 2024, will be a big hit with collectors.”

Comments

• Options
    BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options

I'm on the fence. On one hand, I love this old style but on the other--it's yet another recycled design from the past and we've now got so many. Various iterations of St Gaudens, Buffalos, Mercury dimes, Morgan dollars, Peace dollars--the list goes on.

100 years from now will collectors be interested in a design from the late 1700's stuck on a coin from the 21st century or will they be interested in coinage that reflects the design language of the era? My guess is the latter. 1700's coin designs will continue to be desired--on coins actually minted in the 1700's.

That being said, I'm not buying coins to appeal to collectors long after I'm dead. It will be nice to have a newly minted example of a coin that usually comes in poor condition from the era. I'm sure these old designs sell pretty well or the mint wouldn't keep making them.

Whether I go for the silver or the gold depends on precious metals prices at the time.

• Options
    OrlenaOrlena Posts: 301 ✭✭✭

@Extremeengineer
    ok thanks - this discussion can be deleted by someone in authority

• Options
    OptexOptex Posts: 23 ✭✭

I really like these. I’ll be getting them for sure.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file