Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

**Morgan Dollar GTG, CACG Style** ***GRADE REVEAL***

BadaBlingBadaBling Posts: 104 ✭✭✭
edited October 27, 2023 10:18AM in U.S. Coin Forum

Ok…. This coin has been graded by all of the (now)big three; PCGS to NGC and finally to CACG. Take your best shot and feel free to guess the assigned grades from each service.

***(Reveal Fri Oct 27 @ 11:18am MT) Was PCGS 66 OGH, then NGC 67 and now CACG ‘MS Details Questionable Surfaces’ 🤦🏻‍♂️🤔🤬

See pics below in new post….

Comments

• Options
    OwnerofawheatiehordeOwnerofawheatiehorde Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

Type collector, mainly into Seated. Young Numismatist. Good BST transactions with: mirabela, OKCC, MICHAELDIXON

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,778 ✭✭✭✭✭

MS66 in a 1st gen CAC holder. ;)

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    scotty4449scotty4449 Posts: 684 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am not sure how severe that mark on the cheek is, 66+! Does CACG do + grades?

• Options

@david3142 said:
    Judging by how that last one went I’m going MS70 at all three services.

😂🤣😂🤣 👍🏻👍🏻

• Options

@scotty4449 said:
    I am not sure how severe that mark on the cheek is, 66+! Does CACG do + grades?

They weren’t originally going to use/honor ‘+’ grades…. But thankfully they(JA) changed direction and they are using them now.

• Options
    david3142david3142 Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BadaBling said:

@david3142 said:
    Judging by how that last one went I’m going MS70 at all three services.

😂🤣😂🤣 👍🏻👍🏻

For real though, I would guess MS67+. That is a fantastic strike for an O mint (or any Morgan for that matter).

• Options
    privatecoinprivatecoin Posts: 3,190 ✭✭✭✭✭

66+

Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value. Zero. Voltaire. Ebay coinbowlllc

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,949 ✭✭✭✭✭

Photos are too poor to be used for grading.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options

@291fifth said:

No Debbie-Downers here! Best I can do with a phone…. I’m open to suggestions.

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,949 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BadaBling said:

@291fifth said:

I'm just being honest. The photos are just not usable for grading.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    al410al410 Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭✭

66+

• Options
    gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭✭

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• Options
    fastfreddiefastfreddie Posts: 2,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

67, 65+,64 respectively

It is not that life is short, but that you are dead for so very long.
  • Options
    edited October 26, 2023 6:42PM

@291fifth said:

@BadaBling said:

@291fifth said:

Everyone else seems to be doing just fine…. Plus you can always refer to the CACG provided images.

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,261 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    FlyingAlFlyingAl Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll go 67+. The CACG photo seems really overexposed.

Young Numismatist, Coin Photographer.

• Options
    robecrobec Posts: 6,608 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    ELVIS1ELVIS1 Posts: 159 ✭✭✭

• Options

A few more perspectives….

• Options
    seduloussedulous Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

65+ or 66 is my guess

A Barber Quartet is made up of Nickels, Dimes, Quarters, and Halves.

• Options
    U1chicagoU1chicago Posts: 5,622 ✭✭✭✭✭

MS 66

• Options
    DeplorableDanDeplorableDan Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’ll go 66+ but that CACG photo really is god awful, sheesh.

• Options

@DeplorableDan said:

That’s what they provided…. apparently it’s their version of True-View…. 🤷🏻‍♂️

• Options
    DeplorableDanDeplorableDan Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BadaBling said:

@DeplorableDan said:

That’s what they provided…. apparently it’s their version of True-View…. 🤷🏻‍♂️

I know, most of them look great but that one is horrible. Most of you probably think i'm a CAC booster in all aspects, but I will call it how I see it and I would be very dissapointed if that were my coin.

• Options
    edited October 27, 2023 8:20AM

Before I reveal the grade, I’ll give a brief history of the coin. This coin belongs to a client…. I bought it on his behalf several years ago at the PNNA show in Tukwila, Washington from the late great Gene Henry. It was originally housed in a PCGS MS66 early gen. OGH. I had later submitted it to CAC where JA rejected it but later explained, saying he thought the coin was very well struck and could end up in a 67 holder, but that he thought it was a little too ‘white’ for his liking.

So years later(roughly 18 mos ago), at the request of my client, I agreed to crack it out and submit the coin to NGC…. to no surprise it came back in a 67. Now here’s where it gets murky… my clients son(who by now mostly acts on his father’s behalf) called me in August and wanted to submit a dozen or so coins to CACG for grading once they opened for business…. This coin being one of them. My advice was to do a straight crossover…. My client and his son wanted them all cracked and sent in raw. Their coins, their rules… so that’s what we did.

So…. Here we are.

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,706 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1. The hit on the cheek is minor, but quite noticeable.
  • Options
    marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

66 to me is correct, and I agree with the "its too white" comment.

• Options
    Manifest_DestinyManifest_Destiny Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭✭✭

The question that's on everyone's mind is - Will it Griff?

• Options
    pointfivezeropointfivezero Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ouch - that had to sting. I recently watched this video from the Coin Geek and asked myself the same question:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzZYuMvp8bM&t=407s

My condolences,

Tim

• Options
    robecrobec Posts: 6,608 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ouch, that burns. Looking at the CACG grade only pops I can see that MS66 is their highest with only 2 of those, 2 65+ and 10 in Ms65.

• Options
    coastaljerseyguycoastaljerseyguy Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭✭✭

In the first set of photos, the luster on the reverse seems different around the devices vs the fields. Somewhat on the obverse but not as noticeable in the photo.

• Options
    UpGrayeddUpGrayedd Posts: 498 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yikes! :#

Philippians 4:4-7

• Options

@coastaljerseyguy said:
    In the first set of photos, the luster on the reverse seems different around the devices vs the fields. Somewhat on the obverse but not as noticeable in the photo.

Regardless, the coin should’ve been straight graded. CACG has so far been uncharacteristically inconsistent and at times, ridiculously inaccurate… especially by JA’s CAC standards. This is currently a major concern for dealers and longtime savvy collectors alike. Let’s hope CACG can right the ship…. I have all the confidence that they can and will.

• Options

@UpGrayedd said:
    Yikes! :#

You’re telling me 😡

• Options
    privatecoinprivatecoin Posts: 3,190 ✭✭✭✭✭

@291fifth said:

@BadaBling said:

@291fifth said:

That's why it's called "guess" the grade. B)

Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value. Zero. Voltaire. Ebay coinbowlllc

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am curious if/when this Morgan gets back into an MS67 NGC slab if the seller will disclose its 'slab history'.
    And if not, is that ethical? And if so, will that hurt the selling price?

peacockcoins

• Options
    ELVIS1ELVIS1 Posts: 159 ✭✭✭

@braddick said:
    I am curious if/when this Morgan gets back into an MS67 NGC slab if the seller will disclose its 'slab history'.

3or4 crackouts... To me ...ME... Thats crazy

• Options

@braddick said:

Well…. I think I pretty much did all that here. 😂

This is why we(smart dealers/collectors) always say “buy the COIN and not the holder/label. In my professional opinion, this coin is a rock solid 66+….. and I had no beef with NGC calling it a 67. What’s it’s NOT, is anything remotely ‘Details’; it hasn’t been Cleaned nor in any way are the surfaces’ Questionable’. This coin will be just fine.

I posted this coin to show that even the perceived best graders/finalizers from the most reputable grading services are, on occasion, fallible.

• Options

@ELVIS1 said:

@braddick said:

3or4 crackouts... To me ...ME... Thats crazy

Yep. It is to me too. If my client would’ve taken my original advice, this post wouldn’t exist and we wouldn’t be having this conversation. 👍🏻

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BadaBling said:

@braddick said:

Well…. I think I pretty much did all that here. 😂

This is why we(smart dealers/collectors) always say “buy the COIN and not the holder/label. In my professional opinion, this coin is a rock solid 66+….. and I had no beef with NGC calling it a 67. What’s it’s NOT, is anything remotely ‘Details’; it hasn’t been Cleaned nor in any way are the surfaces’ Questionable’. This coin will be just fine.

I posted this coin to show that even the perceived best graders/finalizers from the most reputable grading services are, on occasion, fallible.

Absolutely, and not being disparaging.
    I wonder what it was that the graders of CACG thought they saw that "wasn't really there" as far as a problem(s)?
    How many graders view each coin with GACG? Is there a finalizer?
    It is confusing how top-notch graders can disagree so readily on what should be a simple conclusion: Either a coin
    has problems or it does not.

peacockcoins

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 27, 2023 3:30PM

It’s had interesting travels - rattler 66, NGC 67, CACG Details. Why no min grade of 67 put on CACG subm form? Fumble.

What a mess - would want get back in the 67 whether PCGS or NGC. holder. Why wasn’t it left there? Did he think get 68 lol?

Good luck getting back in the NGC 67 holder. Or could try for 67 with our hosts.

This is an example of somebody getting burned in the holder game.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 28, 2023 10:27AM

@braddick said:

Thanks for sharing -
    Wow - What a nightmare. Good luck getting it back to 67. Why not left it as is or specify minimum grade on subm form? Do u know how hard it is (subm) to go from 67 to 68?

I would try PCGS 67 first. Then NGC if not get it at PCGS. Then if it fails at PCGS If makes it at NGC 67 would celebrate w bourbon shot. Yay!!! Will the seller disclose history? Doubt it - it’s secruity level 3 / him only confidential / internal w the business. It would have a different NGC number any how - as CFO friend from Jersey says (showing him this over beer) / “that guy got it made n the shade if back to 67. That guy that gave it details / that’s the last time he would get my money. He’s fired, benched.”

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    WalkerloverWalkerlover Posts: 719 ✭✭✭✭

Coin looks cloudy or hazy. Maybe that’s why the details grade

• Options

@Walkerlover said:
    Coin looks cloudy or hazy. Maybe that’s why the details grade

Coin is neither cloudy or hazy…. ineptitude is the reason for the details grade.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file