Home Sports Talk
Options

the Wemby experience commences tonight

Comments

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,262 ✭✭✭✭✭

If someone can post a photo of the reverse of the Maya Angelou quarter, the wingspan similarities between Wemby and her are really telling. What a coincidence.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,484 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wemby had another solid overall game against the Raptors last night with 20/9/4/1/5 but he let a defensive rebound slip from his fingers with seconds left in regulation that would have sealed a win. OG Anunoby grabbed it and put in a game tying layup to put it into OT where SA lost.

SA left me scratching my head wondering why they didn't go to VW more late in this game when they needed a bucket especially with Vassell out and the team needing someone to help pick up the offense. Just get him the ball in the paint or along the baseline and let him go one on one.

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,331 ✭✭✭✭✭

i know this is the Wemby show, but there's no guarantee that he'll even win ROY

small sample size, but check out Chet Holmgren's shooting percentages thus far

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,775 ✭✭✭✭✭

pretty impressive! my goodness are these guys twigs. Holmgren is 7'1" and 195 pounds!!! Wemby about the same. how are they so tiny??

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@craig44 said:
    pretty impressive! my goodness are these guys twigs. Holmgren is 7'1" and 195 pounds!!! Wemby about the same. how are they so tiny??

Supposedly Holmgren added about 10 lbs of muscle during his year off.

Looking at the pics I guess I can see it.

The really tall and thin guys are not all built the same. For some it is easier to bulk up.

For instance, if you look at Kristaps Porzingis, he has obviously added weight and muscle. If you look at him his rookie year, it looks like it is possible.

With Holmgren and Wemby, in my opinion, they both look like they can fill out. But the really tough part is the grind of the season. So it takes a lot of off season dedication.

Holmgren missing his first year due to injury might end up being a huge blessing in disguise. I don't think he could have added those first ten or so pounds of muscle playing every day. Now that he has done it, we will see where it goes.

• Options

@craig44 said:

my goodness are these guys twigs. Holmgren is 7'1" and 195 pounds!!! Wemby about the same. how are they so tiny??

• Options

Holmgren honestly has just as much potential as Wemby does. He can really shoot,he's got a crazy handle for a 7-1 guy and, like VW, he's in the perfect place to develop in OKC. He just needs to keep eating while working on his game with his teammates.

The Thunder have their closer in SGA,their own potential Unicorn in Chet, a TON of young talent surrounding the two and potentially (15) 1sts & (22) 2nds round picks in the next 7 drafts. That future draft pick situation tops everyone including SA's who's cupboard is pretty stacked. Once Sam Presti decides its time to cash in all those chips for that next available superstar that hits the market, no one will be able to top their offer.

• Options

• Options

PS: @edelman11 This is how you felt all those years???

🤣😂🤣

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,955 ✭✭✭✭✭

@erikthredd said:
    Holmgren honestly has just as much potential as Wemby does. He can really shoot,he's got a crazy handle for a 7-1 guy and, like VW, he's in the perfect place to develop in OKC. He just needs to keep eating while working on his game with his teammates.

He's added a pretty decent amount of bulk already (more than 10 lbs). Obviously has a way to go. Maybe he can talk to Giannis for "diet tips".

Holmgren had a sequence for Gonzaga that was just insane. Something like 5 rebounds, a dunk, an assist, a block, a three, good ballhandling, etc - in roughly 90 seconds.

He's got a ridiculous batch of skills. Durability and size are an issue but he's got an amazing upside.

• Options

poor Edelman...

• Options

@Tabe said:

@erikthredd said:

He's added a pretty decent amount of bulk already (more than 10 lbs). Obviously has a way to go. Maybe he can talk to Giannis for "diet tips".

Holmgren had a sequence for Gonzaga that was just insane. Something like 5 rebounds, a dunk, an assist, a block, a three, good ballhandling, etc - in roughly 90 seconds.

He's got a ridiculous batch of skills. Durability and size are an issue but he's got an amazing upside.

Right now he's pretty much playing on raw talent alone and I wouldn't be surprised to see him averaging 3 blocks/3 threes made per game by the end of the season. I'm not sure if anyone has ever done that before and he's close now.

• Options

Wemby vs Chet tonight should be a great head to head matchup.

• Options

I was switching back and forth between that game and the Mavs vs Pelicans.

I've complained before about the salaries these guys make. I am in a minority, but I consider them unjustified. And I am disgusted by their lack of commitment, lifestyle, manner of dress, etc. it's not every athlete but many, and also just most "celebrities".

Again, get off my lawn.

Anyway, Luka last night. What a disgrace. Clearly he's been partying too much.

• Options

That Chet/Wemby matchup was a dud lol. Those two teams look like they're heading in different directions right now. OKC has won 4 of their past 5 games against some decent teams while SA drops their 6th straight.

@thisistheshow said:

I've complained before about the salaries these guys make. I am in a minority, but I consider them unjustified. And I am disgusted by their lack of commitment, lifestyle, manner of dress, etc. it's not every athlete but many, and also just most "celebrities".

Again, get off my lawn.

5/16 shooting and 8 TOs. Looks like Zion came out on top in this battle of the fatties. 😎

• Options

@erikthredd said:
    That Chet/Wemby matchup was a dud lol. Those two teams look like they're heading in different directions right now. OKC has won 4 of their past 5 games against some decent teams while SA drops their 6th straight.

@thisistheshow said:

Again, get off my lawn.

5/16 shooting and 8 TOs. Looks like Zion came out on top in this battle of the fatties. 😎

In all seriousness, I don't necessarily have a problem with the shape that Luka is in this year. But last night...I have never seen go to the hole multiple times, get absolutely obliterated by a block, and actually end up on his butt. And he had one air balled 3 that made it obvious he was seeing multiple rims. LOL. I'm not kidding.

• Options

@thisistheshow said:

@erikthredd said:

@thisistheshow said:

Again, get off my lawn.

In all seriousness, I don't necessarily have a problem with the shape that Luka is in this year. But last night...I have never seen go to the hole multiple times, get absolutely obliterated by a block, and actually end up on his butt. And he had one air balled 3 that made it obvious he was seeing multiple rims. LOL. I'm not kidding.

Speaking of air balls, I was going to post this for Galaxy in the NBA thread but this one will do just fine.
    https://www.instagram.com/reel/CzkTd1ns2Aw/?fbclid=IwAR0zXLxdGNV06b8VBjRC9cuHyeFfCKjdIRJ4aou3v1tCJTvUOaBt4b9IWK8

All that glitter stuck to his soles must really mess with this shot. 🤣

• Options
    edited November 15, 2023 8:16AM

@erikthredd said:

Speaking of air balls, I was going to post this for Galaxy in the NBA thread but this one will do just fine.
    https://www.instagram.com/reel/CzkTd1ns2Aw/?fbclid=IwAR0zXLxdGNV06b8VBjRC9cuHyeFfCKjdIRJ4aou3v1tCJTvUOaBt4b9IWK8

"bro hoops like he's at LA Fitness" literally made me lol

edit: they lost again last night

• Options

@galaxy27 said:

@erikthredd said:

"bro hoops like he's at LA Fitness" literally made me lol

edit: they lost again last night

I watched the first half of the LAC/DEN game and he looked like he was finally starting to find his groove,along with Paul George, but they ened up losing again where Kawhi & Westbrook were pretty much nonfactors.

Where Westbrook is such a bad shooter, his defender is going to constantly leave him open to go double whoever has the ball out of Kawhi,PG or Harden.
    The Clippers will never do it but switching out Russ for Norman Powell would give them a 45% 3pt shooter there instead of Westbrook's 31%. We've already seen it with the Lakers in recent years, when you add too many ego's its hard making it all work. Russ was the odd man out then and he's the odd man out now.

• Options
    edited November 15, 2023 8:49AM

these two didn't exactly show up and show out last night, but this is a sweet jumpball pic

Shai Gilgeous-Alexander be like, damn that's up there lol

• Options

Wemby's got a 10' standing reach so that ball has to really be up there,somewhere in the 12-13' range.

• Options

@galaxy27 said:
    these two didn't exactly show up and show out last night, but this is a sweet jumpball pic

holy cow are those 2 guys skinny. I feel like Shaq could break them in two.

• Options
    edited November 19, 2023 10:20AM

Wemby's team sucks, but he had 8 blocks last night -- tying Tim Duncan (10/29/03) and David Robinson (3/22/01) for most by a Spurs player in a game.

and he did it in 13 tries

i bet he'll have a quad-dub at some point in his career

• Options

@galaxy27 said:
    Wemby's team sucks, but he had 8 blocks last night -- tying Tim Duncan (10/29/03) and David Robinson (3/22/01) for most by a Spurs player in a game.

He's looking like my guy Marcus Camby out there. 😏

• Options

Once he actully knows what he's doing out there on defense I wouldn't be surprised to see him average 4blks a game. Right now he's living off of his raw ability alone.

Last night he had about 2-3 rebounds in his hands that were pulled free by a Memphis player and this has been happening to him frequently. One time it ended up eventually costing them a win. He definitely needs to add to his time in the weight room and keep builidng up that strength.

• Options

@galaxy27 said:

I am pretty sure David Robinson had a Quadruple double sometime in the mid 90s. he would have had at least 10 blocks in that game.

• Options

these pictures of guys next to Wemby are killing me

De'Aaron Fox is 6'3"

• Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,839 ✭✭✭✭✭

Someone should arrange for and take a photo of Mugsy Bouges in a uniform guarding VW.

• Options

Here is he is next to former Celtics draft pick Tremont Waters who is 5-11.

• Options

Wemby's huge, but both of those pics are playing a bit with our perspective.

• Options

a week or so ago Wemby became the youngest player in league history to go for 20 & 20 in a game

and last night he put up 30, 13 and 6 blocks

but here's the bad news: his team can't win a game. 18(!) losses in a row

• Options

oh man, 18 in a row!!! I guess he isnt the savior David Robinson was back in 89

• Options
    Alfonz24Alfonz24 Posts: 3,081 ✭✭✭✭✭

When I see these tall guys that are very skinny, I think Sam Bowie. Hope they can avoid the injuries and the wear and tear of the NBA.

@galaxy27 said:

#LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.
  • Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,262 ✭✭✭✭✭

@galaxy27 said:
    these pictures of guys next to Wemby are killing me

De'Aaron Fox is 6'3"

Reminds me of the Jose Active/Aaron Judge Topps baseball card.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options

@craig44 said:
    oh man, 18 in a row!!! I guess he isnt the savior David Robinson was back in 89

It also doesn't help that Popovich doesn't run any offensive plays for Wembanyama and doesn't use a traditional point guard as their primary ballhandler. Jeremy Sochan,the guy that was being used to distribute the ball is a defensive minded power forward whose shooting form is so bad that then team has him shooting one handed free throws. Really.
    Here's what he looks like:

There's no rhyme or reason as to why Coach Pop is running things like he has right now on offense, its almost like he's tanking for the top pick in this upcoming draft when there really isn't a can't miss player like Cooper Flagg wil be in 2025.

Also Roinson came into the NBA after a 4yr college career and then spent two years on active duty for the Navy before going into the NBA at 24. He didn't play organized basketball during that two year stretch but I'd bet the physical training he went thru at the time is likely more than Wemby may see over his first 3-4 years.

• Options

Wemby stuffing the Greek Freak above the rim the other night

incredible

• Options

Just think how high V.W. could reach if he had a 42" vertical leap. Watching him play shows that he does not jump very high.

• Options

@galaxy27 said:
    Wemby stuffing the Greek Freak above the rim the other night

incredible

Down 3 with a little over a minute left he also blocked Dame then calmly drained a three tying it up. SA ended up losing but it was still a fantastic sequence by Vic.

its going to be interesing to see who wins the ROY award between he & Chet. Wemby is leading all rookies in most of the primary stats (PPG,RPG,BPG,FG% & Minutes played) while Chet's play has helped turn OKC into a legit contender. Some voters may favor in that technically this is Chet's 2nd season but that didn't stop Ben Simmons beating out Donovan Mitchell a few years back in the same situation.

• Options

@erikthredd said:

its going to be interesing to see who wins the ROY award between he & Chet. Wemby is leading all rookies in most of the primary stats (PPG,RPG,BPG,FG% & Minutes played) while Chet's play has helped turn OKC into a legit contender.

Chet has been the more efficient player, but he also has a better supporting cast. Wemby doesn't have a true PG to get him the ball. the Spurs will take care of that in next year's draft, then watch out.

• Options

@galaxy27 said:

@erikthredd said:

its going to be interesing to see who wins the ROY award between he & Chet. Wemby is leading all rookies in most of the primary stats (PPG,RPG,BPG,FG% & Minutes played) while Chet's play has helped turn OKC into a legit contender.

Chet has been the more efficient player, but he also has a better supporting cast. Wemby doesn't have a true PG to get him the ball. the Spurs will take care of that in next year's draft, then watch out.

As of right now they're projected to have the 2nd and 7th (from Toronto) picks and the consensus is that this draft doesn't have much high end talent like other years. I'd love to see Pop go get Baylor's 7-4 center Zach Edey to pair with Wemby and give us this era's twin towers down in SA.

• Options
  • Options

Wemby with his first NBA trip-dub tonight against the Pistons (16/12/10)

• Options

In just 21 total minutes played too. I didn't see the game and just assumed that one woud be for blocks but it was for assists.

I wouldn't be surprised at all to see Vic put in a game where has double digits in blocks or even finish with at least a 5/5/5/5/5 (PTS.REB,ASS,STL,BlK) game too.

• Options

my first trip down the Wemby rabbit hole. it won't be the last time i visit it.

i wanted a short print, and my fav color just so happens to be purple, so this was an easy call

• Options
    spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,551 ✭✭✭✭✭

He is clearly a great player and on his way to the ROY award. But he's got to put on some meat or he will be off the floor alot for long time spans. That could limit his effectiveness................

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • Options

Wemby could become just the 7th player to average 20-10-3-3 over an entire season since blocks became official in 1973-74

the other 6 -- Shaq, D Robinson, Hakeem, Ewing, Kareem and Bob Lanier -- are HoFers, and none of them did it before the age of 25

• Options

Wemby with the crazy stat line against Toronto:
    27pts
    14reb
    5ass
    2stl
    10blk

• Options
    edited February 13, 2024 11:04AM

@erikthredd said:

27pts
    14reb
    5ass
    2stl
    10blk

really only a matter of time before he pulls off a quad dub

caught a Spurs tilt the other night and the game appears to be slowing down for him a smidgen

48.1% FG, 41.7% 3P, 84.1% FT in his last 10

• Options

@galaxy27 said:

@erikthredd said:

27pts
    14reb
    5ass
    2stl
    10blk

really only a matter of time before he pulls off a quad dub

He came close with his 7 turnovers lol.

• Options

I wonder if Wemby, as he gets older and progresses from a 19-20 year old adolescent (who has not yet fully matured physically) to a 28 year old physically mature adult, will add enough bulk and strength to enable him to overwhelm all opposing players in the paint.

Some players are always rail thin, even at 28-30 years old (i.e. Ralph Sampson, Kevin Durant). As such they can be moved around on the floor by bigger, bulkier players.

Some other players are thin as a teenager or as a 20 year old, but as they grow into adulthood they add bulk and strength (i.e. Moses Malone). As an adult they become hard if not impossible to move around on the floor.

For Wemby, and Holmgren it would be great to see them keep (and improve) their speed, quickness and agility that allows them to play effectively away from the basket on both offense and defense, while at the same time add strength and bulk to their frames (i.e. 40 - 50 pounds) without a loss of their speed, quickness and agility. If that happens and if they develop a solid inside/down low game they will be unstoppable on both offense and defense.