Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Post Your Core Collection

FlyingAlFlyingAl Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭✭✭

As I spend time building the collection I have, I find that there are distinct coins that just stand out and that I would have a really tough time selling. They're the ones that took time to hunt down and aren't really replaceable - so they are truly the core of my collection. It's what makes one collection unique from another. Personally, I'm very happy with the direction that my core collection has taken, and I think it is a testament to the time I spent building it.

So, post your core collection and feel free to share any stories relating to your coins!

Coin Photographer.

Comments

• Options
    hfjacintohfjacinto Posts: 774 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,936 ✭✭✭✭✭

They look like terrific coins.

From your description of core collection, I would imagine many folks who put together a virtual Box of 20 (Bo20) list from within their own collection might use that as their answer. I look forward to seeing what others share.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    lermishlermish Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭✭✭

Right in my signature line, the vast majority have been posted here at one time or another.

• Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,272 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 22, 2023 2:27PM

@FlyingAl - love your contrasted '36-'42 proofs. Tough to find.

My core cameos are in an album in my signature line below. I limited it to the 1950-64 dates. Hopefully, all the photos will load, sometimes there are a few missing for some reason..

Edited to add. Actually about half of the True View photos aren't loading when I clicked on the album. I plan to whine to customer service about this. If you are going to offer albums, then support them. Otherwise, I'll simply delete them. It's not worth the drama.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options
    JJMJJM Posts: 8,007 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some real doozies there!!!!

👍BST's erickso1,cone10,MICHAELDIXON,TennesseeDave,p8nt,jmdm1194,RWW,robkool,Ahrensdad,Timbuk3,Downtown1974,bigjpst,mustanggt,Yorkshireman,idratherbgardening,SurfinxHI,derryb,masscrew,Walkerguy21D,MJ1927,sniocsu,Coll3tor,doubleeagle07,luciobar1980,PerryHall,SNMAM,mbcoin,liefgold,keyman64,maprince230,TorinoCobra71,RB1026,Weiss,LukeMarshall,Wingsrule,Silveryfire, pointfivezero,IKE1964,AL410, Tdec1000, AnkurJ,guitarwes,Type2,Bp777,jfoot113,JWP,mattniss,dantheman984,jclovescoins,Collectorcoins,Weather11am,Namvet69,kansasman,Bruce7789,ADG,Larrob37
  • Options
    Morgan13Morgan13 Posts: 998 ✭✭✭✭✭

I love this forum. So rich with hobbyist who share the same interest as me!
    Keep'em coming!

Student of numismatics and collector of Morgan dollars
    Successful BST transactions with: Namvet Justindan Mattniss RWW olah_in_MA

• Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,839 ✭✭✭✭✭

I forgot to add this little Gem to my prior post.

Not quite a Franklin, but variety is the spice of life.

• Options
    ThreeCentSilverFLThreeCentSilverFL Posts: 1,669 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow what a great thread! People are coming out of the woodwork to post on this one!

I’ll join with some pics tomorrow, but in the meantime, I hope it keeps going!

• Options
    HillbillyCollectorHillbillyCollector Posts: 547 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JonBrand83
    I love that ‘50-C HE!
    Congrats and that is a keeper!👍

• Options
    johnny010johnny010 Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭✭✭

@HoledandCreative said:

i collect US coins by date and mint mark HOLED, ALL denominations.

Great idea for these coins!

• Options
    johnny010johnny010 Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭✭✭

@HillbillyCollector said:

>
    So, I’m only showing one coin, that I just picked up a couple days ago. Not my highest graded coin (pXF-45 CAC) , but when I lay all my coins side by side, this is the ‘core’ of the core, to me!😉

Tough coin. Nice pickup.

• Options
    ShaunBC5ShaunBC5 Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just (tonight) went through a bunch of my collection with this in mind.
    I don’t think I know right now what my core collection is.
    Definitely the 1950 PF65 (avatar) and XF/AU 1914-D Lincoln (looking for a pic, I’ve posted it before). Probably my ‘45 Micro-S Merc MS66 CAC (same pic prob) and a DMPL Morgan or two Beyond that, I’m just not sure. I need to figure it out and get rid of some stuff so I can add more to the core.
    Thanks for the inspiration, everybody.

• Options
    skier07skier07 Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭✭✭

I do have two core collections but every is probably available for the right price. When I do sell I try not to sell anything that would be very difficult if not impossible to replace.

• Options
    willywilly Posts: 297 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not sure how to link it here but my core collection is the Island City Complete US Type set, circulation strikes 1792-1964

I am 10 coins from being complete with 90% being CAC. The last 10 are expensive and hard to find in grades I can afford.

Willy

• Options
    BarberianBarberian Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 24, 2023 5:58AM

Wow! That's a nice "hodgepodge" of US coins. That's my ideal 7070 collection of attractive, mostly circulated US coins. Each coin is excellent. I just spent 5 minutes admiring the set.

3 rim nicks away from Good
  • Options
    BarberianBarberian Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

@HoledandCreative said:

i collect US coins by date and mint mark HOLED, ALL denominations.

You have a holed 1856 Flying Eagle?! That's a nice FE set. Nice holes.

My set features bad holes. Here, the coin vandal failed miserably.
    1840-O WB6 (R6)

3 rim nicks away from Good
  • Options

Superb. Just the 1873-CC 25C No Arrows left ;)

ParadimeCoins.com PCGS NGC CAC InventorySign up for our exclusive NEWPs mailing list - Subscribe

• Options
    OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 24, 2023 7:52AM

@Meltdown - Man, I really like your 7070! I can see the effort you put into it.

I did the same thing you did... I display many of the reverses on the front of the pages as well.

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options
    Manifest_DestinyManifest_Destiny Posts: 4,613 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ParadimeCoins said:

Superb. Just the 1873-CC 25C No Arrows left ;)

Thanks, unfortunately that one will always be left. :p

• Options
    MeltdownMeltdown Posts: 8,733 ✭✭✭✭✭

@OAKSTAR said:
    @Meltdown - Man, I really like your 7070! I can see the effort you put into it.

I did the same thing you did... I display many of the reverses on the front of the pages as well.

Thanks. A few of those have been swapped out and "upgraded". Those photos are a couple years old now. I think that's why I decided it's my core collection contribution. It's been the one constant so to speak in my ever changing collection tastes.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file