Home› U.S. Coin Forum
Options

My 7 year old grandsons first coin purchase ....... Let's grade it !!!

2»

Comments

  • Options
    No HeadlightsNo Headlights Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Much nicer than my first coin. But I was making $10 a week on my paper route (last century).
    Congrats to him. I hope he catches the bug.

  • Options
    HarlequinHarlequin Posts: 269 ✭✭✭

    The bug is definitely caught :)

    🇺🇸 Harlequin
    harlequinnumismatic@gmail.com
    Home of the Americana Collection of USA silver coins

  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 45,231 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @291fifth said:
    AU55. A nice album coin. I wouldn't pay to have it slabbed.

    I'm not sure it would straight grade. Reverse looks to have a few hairlines in the field between eagle and stars at 3:30-4 o'clock , and the obverse may have PVC on it, or tape residue. Some discoloring (maybe photos), make it appear that way, to my eyes. Not that an acetone rinse would hurt, but.... with $88 leftover , maybe a submission would teach more than all of us could with our opinions. The real test of our assessment of value and grade is when the graders tell us, and not the forum members (though I trust the general consensus, usually). The young numismatist may as well learn the actual truth and don't believe our opinion.

    Practice makes perfect & nobody is perfect. So, practice being nobody.

  • Options
    HarlequinHarlequin Posts: 269 ✭✭✭

    Thanks Two, as is he is going to enjoy it raw for now.

    🇺🇸 Harlequin
    harlequinnumismatic@gmail.com
    Home of the Americana Collection of USA silver coins

  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 25,229 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @TwoSides2aCoin said:

    @291fifth said:
    AU55. A nice album coin. I wouldn't pay to have it slabbed.

    I'm not sure it would straight grade. Reverse looks to have a few hairlines in the field between eagle and stars at 3:30-4 o'clock , and the obverse may have PVC on it, or tape residue. Some discoloring (maybe photos), make it appear that way, to my eyes. Not that an acetone rinse would hurt, but.... with $88 leftover , maybe a submission would teach more than all of us could with our opinions. The real test of our assessment of value and grade is when the graders tell us, and not the forum members (though I trust the general consensus, usually). The young numismatist may as well learn the actual truth and don't believe our opinion.

    I also suspect it would not straight grade, hence my advice regarding not having it slabbed. I don't believe in wasting money on slabbing where a negative result is a strong possibility.

    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    pcgscacgoldpcgscacgold Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Fun series to collect. SLQ's and Walkers were my "gateway drug" into the hobby.

    I am also in the details grade camp but it is a fun coin for him to own.

  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 45,231 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @Harlequin said:
    Thanks Two, as is he is going to enjoy it raw for now.

    And at a fair price, But what is awesome is when the young pick a good hobby. And to me, ours is the best hobby of all.

    Practice makes perfect & nobody is perfect. So, practice being nobody.

  • Options
    HashTagHashTag Posts: 374 ✭✭✭✭

    @oreville said:

    @ajaan said:

    @oreville said:
    My grandson is only 21 months old ... still wants to gnaw on the big coins. Need to sterilize them first.

    I have a granddaughter the same age. I gave here a gold coin dated her birth year.

    Maybe they can meet?

    Handsome little boy too. LOL.

    Does your granddaughter like older boys (8)? He’s been collecting since he was 6. I started him with the complete US Mint catalog from 2015.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file