Home Sports Talk

What is the longest home run ever hit?

doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

Seems to be a disputable subject, Mickey Mantle is said to have hit one 734 feet, apparently he did hit one 565 feet out of Yankee stadium.

Comments

• craig44craig44 Posts: 11,020 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think Mcgwire probably hit more very long (500 ft +) homeruns than anyone. He hit one off Randy johnson that went about 540 ft if i remember right. i was watching that game on tv. it was a lazer!!

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,839 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 14, 2023 5:20AM

You beat me to it. I have that card from my days as a childhood baseball card collector.

BUT It was out of Griffith Stadium in Washington, DC. No one ever hit a homer that made it out of the old Yankee Stadium. Mantle came close once according to something I read years ago.

Mantle hit that one right handed off of lefty Chuck Stobbs.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, Griffith stadium, I guess I was thinking about this one when I said Yankee stadium, it almost made it out. On May 30, 1956, Mickey Mantle of the New York Yankees blasts one of the longest home runs in history. The slugger crushes a pitch by Washington’s Pedro Ramos off the upper deck facade, 396 feet from home plate and 117 feet in the air. Mantle comes within inches of becoming the first major leaguer to hit a fair ball out of Yankee Stadium. Some observers estimate that the ball would have traveled 600 feet if it had not hit the facade.

I'll tell you what, Mickey Mantle hit some bombs in his career, he hit one in 1963 that almost made it out., Mantle notes that the 1963 ball cleared the wall 370 feet away from home plate (per the illustration), and that the Stadium roof was 117-feet high (not quite 118 feet, marked in the photo).

A book was written in 1987 about his moon shot home runs.

edited October 14, 2023 6:02AM

I've always been fascinated by power hitters, Reggie Jackson hit one off Dock Ellis in the 1971 all-star game that went an estimated 539 feet, it hit the transformer on the roof of Tiger stadium.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=C7kS5pwH0hM

• coolstanleycoolstanley Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 14, 2023 6:12AM

Willie Stargell hit one 535 ft in 1978 in Montreal.

Terry Bradshaw was AMAZING!!

Ignore list -Basebal21

My favorite power hitter of all-time is Jim Thome, man when he got ahold of a pitch he really crushed it, you could feel it through the TV screen.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=J1aS5ZBq4Xo&pp=ygUaamltIHRob21lIGxvbmdlc3QgaG9tZSBydW4%3D

• SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 12,003 ✭✭✭✭✭

The one hit by Roy Hobbs?

• stevekstevek Posts: 28,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

I watched the game live on TV. That home run shattered the outfield lights.

The shattered glass harmed many of the fans underneath in the stands, and they sued the team.

I remember Frank Thomas hit some absolute bombs in a home run derby. I think it was 94 in Pittsburg

• Chicago1976Chicago1976 Posts: 510 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great thread. Growing up in Chicago, I recall tape measure blasts by Dave Kingman (550 ft that landed on Kenmore Ave) and Glenallen Hill (onto roof of apartment bld on Waveland Ave). On the south side, I remember Greg Luzinski and Ron Kittle hitting balls onto the roof of old Comiskey Park.

• JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,668 ✭✭✭✭✭

“Hammerin' Harmon” hit the home run 520 feet, but a revised estimate now puts it at 522 feet. It landed six rows into the upper deck of left field — the ball was hit so hard it shattered two seats.
    The next day Killebrew hit one harder, but not farther, a line drive off the second deck facing that "only" went 434 feet.

Only four players have been confirmed to hit a ball over the left field roof at Tiger Stadium in Detroit: Cecil Fielder, Mark McGwire, Harmon Killebrew, and Frank Howard.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • DarinDarin Posts: 6,801 ✭✭✭✭✭

Stargell held the record for a 535 foot dinger at Montreal’s Olympic stadium in 1978. Also the first player to leave dodger stadium in 1969 with a 506 foot blast. And followed that up with a second homer out of LA. Also I think the longest homer at three rivers stadium.
    Sparky Anderson said Stargell had enough power to hit it out of any park including Yellowstone.

• BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,608 ✭✭✭✭✭

Canseco at Toronto SkyDome. 540 feet.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • perkdogperkdog Posts: 30,199 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 24, 2023 7:54PM

Maybe not the furthest but I think Canseco crushed one that put a dent in something maybe at Fenway? Definitely one of the hardest hit balls from what I remember

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 30,199 ✭✭✭✭✭

734 feet didn't happen if I were to guess

• DarinDarin Posts: 6,801 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cool Stanley beat me to the Stargell homer at Montreal.
    Guess I should read the threads first before posting. 😫😫

• thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

July 18, 1975

Jim Rice

Fenway Park

vs the Royals

He hit a home run that didn't suck. Over the center field wall (pre-renovations).

Look it up. Seriously.

I'm not saying it went 600 ft, but it went ...😂

• JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,668 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Darin said:

Sparky Anderson said Stargell had enough power to hit it out of any park including Yellowstone.

>
    >
    Ha, ha, they said that about Killebrew as well. Both these guys hit bombs.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set

I seem to remember Strawberry hitting one up in Montreal that hit a catwalk up near the ceiling of the dome. projections are that that one would have gone a long long way.

Teddy Ballgame hit a long one out to right field at Fenway. The seat is still marked with different paint out in the bleachers. I cant remember how far, but that one must have gone over 500 ft.

• TabeTabe Posts: 6,008 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:
    Maybe not the furthest but I think Canseco crushed one that put a dent in something maybe at Fenway? Definitely one of the hardest hit balls from what I remember

It was either him or McGwire that hit a home run into the upper deck of straightaway CF (440ft) at Tiger Stadium, a fear more rare than clearing the LF roof.