Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

eBay experts: why are my listings not showing up in searches?

I thought I was pretty eBay savvy. However, last night l listed 18 auctions and noticed that the views on 2 of them, most notably a 1954 Bowman Mantle and Mays, showed 0 views. So I searched for my listings and for some reason those 2 are not appearing. Can anyone tell me why this item does not show up in a search list for "1954 Bowman Willie Mays PSA":

https://www.ebay.com/itm/266449902929

I've looked at the attributes 10 times and can find nothing that looks wrong. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• NGS428NGS428 Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don’t see it either when I do a search. I don’t see anything wrong with the listing. Even if you see all your listing, it does not show.

I would end the listing and relist.

• frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,083 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a problem in my saved searches. Seems like every one of my saved searches things show up that have nothing whatsoever to do with my search criteria except that it is a sports card.

Shane

• RufussCkingstonRufussCkingston Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 11, 2023 10:10AM

At first I thought it was because of the crappy blurry photos.... but all of your newest listings have those! :D

Maybe it is because you have the bullsh*t term "Fresh Grade" in the title, even though I see you have that in others that come up in search. Maybe try editing/changing the title and see if it then pops up.... Otherwise I'd do as the other said and nuke it and start over.

• 1948_Swell_Robinson1948_Swell_Robinson Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭✭✭

@detroitfan2 said:
    I thought I was pretty eBay savvy. However, last night l listed 18 auctions and noticed that the views on 2 of them, most notably a 1954 Bowman Mantle and Mays, showed 0 views. So I searched for my listings and for some reason those 2 are not appearing. Can anyone tell me why this item does not show up in a search list for "1954 Bowman Willie Mays PSA":

https://www.ebay.com/itm/266449902929

I've looked at the attributes 10 times and can find nothing that looks wrong. Thanks in advance.

I searched and did not see yours either.

They say it could take 24 hours for them to "verify" or go through their process. I know the people on the phone are akin to someone at a takeout window, but that is probably their script. Nobody is actually looking or verifying it, just a computer.

They also say that if you make a change in your listing that it could re-start that 24 hour window even if the change is within minutes of starting it.

So you can seee it your "MyEbay" but search results won't yield anything and that of course is what counts so that blows.

Usually they come up right away but sometimes crap like that happens.

Major pain and should not be that way. That loses bidders IMO.

• RonSportscardsRonSportscards Posts: 930 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 11, 2023 11:50AM

Didn't come up for me either.
    When I advanced searched for all items specifically from seller "detroitfan2", it didn't come up either.

Wild shot in the dark, but is it possible when you typed the title, did you hit a Cntl or Fn or whatever button so the term is not searchable.
    Maybe try revising the item and re-typing the title?

Also on some searches, I hate when ebay decides for me which items they present to me.

Just show what you got, ebay, and let ME decide!

• totallyraddtotallyradd Posts: 931 ✭✭✭
    edited October 11, 2023 1:21PM

My advice is to end them, and relist them right away. I've had issues with eBay in the past "shadowbanning" some of my listings if I didn't list consistently, or altogether remove them if they were up there for possibly too long without selling and I'd have to relist them....this happened a lot more frequently during the pandemic. For the convenience of a lot of it, there is a lot of inconveniences that come with it too (mostly clicking boxes to fill their description needs).

After typing the above, is it possible they are still just drafts because heaven forbid you forgot to click the box to that Mickey Mantle and Willie Mays played baseball for the unknowing person looking at baseball cards?

Hope that works for ya!

• detroitfan2detroitfan2 Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the feedback! I googled it and it one post says it could take up to 24 hours :# . Not sure if that's urban legend or not. If I search for the item id itself it doesn't find it either. Thanks again.

• I just had this problem.

I posted two cards for sale about two nights ago, and they got views immediately.

The next morning I posted two more cards for sale and they weren't public.

I did the customer service auto-response thing and it said it may take 24 hours.

I then spoke with a real human from customer service and they told me the same thing. He couldn't tell me why my cards from the night before went public right away and my two from that day were hiding.

Long story short, the two that weren't public went live after 24 hours.

I haven't posted anything for sale since. I don't know if all posts for sale will take 24 hours, or if it will just be some random thing.

ps: none of have sold yet!

• stevekstevek Posts: 28,729 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've been selling on Ebay for a long time. One thing I do know is search algorithms can change on a regular basis. Sometimes in unexpected ways. That being said, I see absolutely nothing wrong in your listing that should affect search.

As was mentioned, could just be a glitch in the Ebay system, that normally will correct itself in a relative period of time, perhaps in this case a bit more than 24 hours.

• RonSportscardsRonSportscards Posts: 930 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 11, 2023 3:50PM

They're punishing you for not including the Bird/Magic Rookie in your other listing. 😉

Hiding it so you'll pay for promoted listing.

Are you doing 5 day auctions?

I have a few cards listed with 0 views and 2 or 3 watchers. I guess people get enough info from title and don't bother clicking to view.

I am doing 5 day auctions so they could end Sunday night. I do see the 0 views with watchers too or times where views < watchers.

@frankhardy said:
    I have a problem in my saved searches. Seems like every one of my saved searches things show up that have nothing whatsoever to do with my search criteria except that it is a sports card.

This happens to me often too. At one point I thought I could explain it by the fact that some listings had the wrong "item specifics", but now it just seems to be completely random.

• jfkheatjfkheat Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have the same issue. I have 2 different cards that don't show up in searches. They both show up on my personal selling page but not when I search for those cards or when I search under me seller's name. I tried ending the listings and relisting them but that didn't help. I have no idea what the issue is.

Well, sure enough, 24 hours later, they're showing up, crappy blurry photos and the bullsh*t term "Fresh Grade" in the title and all.

• nam812nam812 Posts: 10,573 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RufussCkingston said:
    At first I thought it was because of the crappy blurry photos.... but all of your newest listings have those! :D

Maybe it is because you have the bullsh*t term "Fresh Grade" in the title, even though I see you have that in others that come up in search. Maybe try editing/changing the title and see if it then pops up.... Otherwise I'd do as the other said and nuke it and start over.

Two shots at the OP under the guise of help. Interesting.

• jeffv96mastersjeffv96masters Posts: 605 ✭✭✭✭

Just a heads up for anyone wondering perhaps why- if it happens to them

• totallyraddtotallyradd Posts: 931 ✭✭✭

@jeffv96masters said:
    Just a heads up for anyone wondering perhaps why- if it happens to them

Saw this yesterday. Great more stuff to click.

• CrashingwavesCrashingwaves Posts: 176 ✭✭✭

Over the last few years this has happened to me a few times. The EBay reps I spoke with could see the issue but were zero help and once blamed it on my shipping settings (which was BS). All the listing were BIN with B/O so I cancelled and relisted. Every month or two I search for my listing to see if it is happening again.

• 1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,342 ✭✭✭✭✭

@detroitfan2 said:
    Well, sure enough, 24 hours later, they're showing up, crappy blurry photos and the bullsh*t term "Fresh Grade" in the title and all.

The answer I was given when I dealt with the same issue a few weeks back was that certain listings are pulled into an algorithm at random to be ‘verified’ by eBay before listing; also, it is not limited to trading cards. Analogous to random drug testing in professional sports, it’s basically a form of due diligence. There are simply too many eBay listings to check every single one so at random sample is done. Sometimes you miss it, sometimes it’s a listing of two that gets caught up in it, and it can even be all your listings.

Ultimately, it’s usually resolved within 24 hours, though it can sometimes be up to 48 hours.

That’s a paraphrase from memory but I think I hit all the key points.

Hope it helps

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest