Home Sports Talk

Do you think Babe Ruth really called his shot?

2»

Comments

• stevekstevek Posts: 28,696 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1948_Swell_Robinson said:

@stevek said:

@stevek said:
    I remember back in second grade, the best teacher I ever had, K-12 and college, illustrated to us how rumors work. I can't recall what it was, but she wrote something on a piece of paper, whispered it to one student, then that student whispered it to another student, and it went thru the entire class that way, student to student, of about 30 students. Well you see it coming, when the last student finally got the message, turns out it bore virtually no resemblance to the original message.

This same phenomena has been going on since the advent of human history. Something happens and over time, it get distorted, sometimes totally distorted from the facts.

This Babe thing is no different, and it's easy to figure out when being objective to the videos and pics posted here. If Ruth had actually called the shot, the next day in the newspapers and on radio, especially a World Series game, it would have been headline news everywhere. No legend needed because it would have been fact.

But over time, this Babe story got twisted and turned, exactly like a second grade whispered rumor. 🙂

Um, might want to re-think that.

CHICAGO SUNDAY TRIBUNE, October 2, 1932 on page 3:

"Babe Calls His Shots" "He missed a second home run in the third inning...but the masterpiece was only deferred. He hit it in the fifth, a ball that sailed incredibly to the extreme depth of center field...Guy Bush, the Cubs' pitcher, was up on the top step of the dugout, jawing back at him as he took his turn at bat this time...yelled raspingly at the great man to upset him. The Babe laughed derisively and gestured at him, 'Wait, mugg; I'm going to hit one out of the yard.' Root threw a strike past him and he held up a finger to Bush, whose ears flapped excitedly as he renewed his insults. Another strike passed him & Bush crawled almost out o the hole to extend his remarks. The Babe held up two fingers this time. Root wasted two galls and the Babe put up two fingers on his other hand. Then, with a warning gesture of his and to Bush, he sent him the signal for the customers to see. 'Now, it said, 'this is the one. Look!' And that one went riding in the longest home run ever hit in the park.

He licked the Chicago ball club but he left the people laughing when he said good-by; and it was a privilege to be present because it is not likely that the scene will ever be repeated in all its elements...Nor will you ever see an artist call his shot before hitting one of the longest drives ever made on the grounds, in a world series game, laughing and mocking the enemy with two strikes gone."

@1951WheatiesPremium

Well, I'll try again a third time, and remember three strikes and you're out. 😉

That Ruth "verbally called" the home run is not any debate and it doesn't matter. Because as already clearly mentioned, he likely if not definitely did that numerous times. The question is did he point to the outfield as John Goodman did in the movie, and you mentioned that. You even stated "No one is saying that happened."

I'm not sure if you have Dyslexia or something, but the thread began with, "Do you think Babe Ruth really called his shot? Babe Ruth's called shot is the home run hit by Babe Ruth of the New York Yankees against the Chicago Cubs in the fifth inning of Game 3 of the 1932 World Series, held on October 1, 1932, at Wrigley Field in Chicago. During the at-bat, Ruth made a pointing gesture which the existing film confirms, but whether he was promising a home run, or gesturing at fans or the Cubs in their dugout, remains in dispute."

It's the "pointing gesture" that is the question and the myth. The evidence seems to be crystal clear that Ruth did not point to the outfield when bragging that he would hit a home run. And in your posted newspaper report, I see no mention of Babe "pointing" to the outfield stands.

"No one is saying that happened." - Incorrect, lots of people buy the myth that Ruth pointed at the outfield stands before hitting that home run. That's what the myth is all about.

Don't get testy because you got a little toasted on your claim with the "No newspaper" accounts ;)

The original question is if he called his shot or not. Calling it verbally, or pointing and calling, doesn't detract from calling the shot and hitting a home run....still a legendary feat....and its too bad Ryan Howard couldn't do something like that instead of turning into Dave Kingman.

As for the newspaper, and your singular(and weak obsession with a John Goodman esque pointing), it says "Then, with a warning gesture of his and to Bush, he sent him the signal for the customers to see."

What was the signal he sent then??

What was there to "see" then for the customers??

Please enlighten me since you talk as if you were umping that game.

According to the newspaper and Lou Gehrig, Ruth called his shot. It doesn't say he pointed like John Goodman, but it did say "with a warning gesture of his," so perhaps dyslexia or something is within you?

In the end, he called his shot. If he called his shot multiple times, so be it. He called it in the world series, and...

"Nor will you ever see an artist call his shot before hitting one of the longest drives ever made on the grounds, in a world series game, laughing and mocking the enemy with two strikes gone."

I would say the newspaper eyewitness account was right. It has never been seen since in the World Series...so yes, a legendary feat even if he didn't point like John Goodman(which nobody ever said anyway).

Jelly or butter on your toast?

I've played in many softball games after college, including a league in which the competition was sometimes quite intense. But it was all meant to simply be enjoyable fun competition.

When a player went to the plate, and gestured with his arm, pointing to the outfield, everybody there knew what he was doing, and the story behind it. All in good fun, as it's tough to throw a brushback pitch in softball. 😂

• galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

so now we're hanging hats on a single newspaper article that should be taken as gospel, when the majority of reporters that day were mum

can't wait to see the spin job that Ren & Stimpy put on this one

let me guess, it really did happen but many just felt it wasn't worthy of inclusion? lolol

you'll never be able to outrun a bad diet

• 1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,338 ✭✭✭✭✭

@galaxy27 said:
    @1951WheatiesPremium

I'm sorry to shatter your miserable little bedtime story that you've been told for 60 years to help you fall asleep. yes, it's factual that the original version is spurious. you've provided nothing to corroborate him pointing to center field and calling his shot prior to launching one outside of "believe Lou Gehrig." :D meanwhile, that theory has been blown full of holes with posts of videos and eyewitness accounts throughout this thread, many of which you had trouble keeping up with today. so yes, it has been debunked, which is exactly what i stated initially before you felt the need to pop off like a moron.

what happened with him and the Cubs' bench is sheer speculation. I tend to think if he yapped out loud that he was about to park one, the last thing he would have seen with two strikes is a pitch in his wheelhouse. it's more likely he would have been confronted with some sweet sounding chin music. but that's just me, attempting to view this objectively while incorporating a shred of common sense along the way.......something you're clearly incapable of because you're too busy trying to pull off your best dimeman impersonation. 😂

The only thing you’re ruining is your own credibility. And you clearly pick and chose what is a credible source by haphazard criteria, then form an opinion and then somehow try to pass that opinion off as fact.

The closest things to credible source material in this entire thread are a newspaper article and a recorded interview with Lou Gehrig.

Hearsay wouldn’t count, nor would Babe Ruth’s testimony, who contradicts himself.

Disagree anywhere?

I also broke down the video into its separate components; it does not show consecutive action and there are gaps in the footage of a significant length. These are a separate clips that have strung together to give a sense for the at bat. It is not, nor close, to a full look at what took place during the entirety of the at bat in any way shape or form.

Disagree anywhere?

Now instead of continuing to be closed minded and so sure your right, let’s tap into your vaunted common sense.

Of all the clips we see in the video, only one takes place between at bats. This would be Ruth’s gesture. Now, based on cost of film and technology at the time, I’m guessing our amateur camera man had a basic policy of taping pitch and swing and turning it off until the next one. That’s what it looks like to me.

Disagree anywhere?

But, he also turned it on between the pitches to catch the gesture. For what reason?

Well my mind sort of immediately goes to the moments where I’ve had something unexpected happen in front of me AND where I also thought to take a picture and usually I am unable to capture exactly what made me turn it on in the first place but I still take a picture anyway and get something similar or related in the aftermath of the moment that shows up on the film.

Disagree anywhere?

Figure out where this is going?

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

Catch you guys on the flip side

edited October 10, 2023 10:13PM

@galaxy27 said:

Semi colon

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

@galaxy27

Good luck to you; despite all your nastiness in this thread - both visible and removed - I’m still of a mind that you are one of the good guys on the board. I’m one of those people who believe you can have a disagreement of opinion with someone without hating them forever more after. Not sure you feel the same; that’s your prerogative.

Enjoy your day.

• craig44craig44 Posts: 11,023 ✭✭✭✭✭

this is fascinating. I think we need to get robert stack and unsolved mysteries on the case.

wait, i think robert stack is dead.

Maybe Georgios from ancient aliens...

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

@craig44 said:
    this is fascinating. I think we need to get robert stack and unsolved mysteries on the case.

@craig44 said:

Even an alien from another galaxy would easily notice that the Babe was not pointing to the outfield. 😆

But some humans on planet earth aren't advanced enough yet to realize that. 😉

• 1948_Swell_Robinson1948_Swell_Robinson Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1951WheatiesPremium

I just got back from the lab with Kevin Costner.

Ruth is certainly gesturing here and unless the dugout is in left field, he is not gesturing at the dugout.

However, the thing that really caught my eye is the catcher has his back turned away from Ruth the moment Ruth is gesturing! Turned down and away. Again, turned down and away.

This may be more a case for Vincent Gambini asking the catcher, "Are you sure about those five minutes?" Because the catcher was NOT looking at the biggest moment in the story to give an accurate account!

Couple the eyewitness newspaper account AND Lou Gehrig's first hand account(which was given just four days after it happened so there was no time for legend to grow for Gehrig to get 'swept up in'), then the best verdict is Ruth called his shot and did indeed gesture in the direction near to where the ball was hit soon after.

@galaxy27 said:

@1951WheatiesPremium said:

@galaxy27 said:
    first of all, i can't get enough of these old school clips. they are fantastic.

second, unless my eyes deceive me, i don't at all think he was calling his shot. it appears to me as if he's motioning toward the third-base dugout, perhaps getting into it with someone or someones who were jawing at him.

wouldn't be the first time embellishment was employed to create a fanciful and fictitious story.

edit: after watching this, i'm 1,000% certain. listen to what Billy Herman said what the catcher said about it. Ruth was doing exactly what i thought he was doing.

edit times 2: watch his trip around the bases after his tater. he was motioning toward the Chicago dugout/fans the entire time.

officially debunked.

https://youtu.be/HkEX0eb2eBo?si=H2XsCGMJW0tJCktp

LOL

Did you also sit on the Warren Commission, by any chance?

Watching a grainy video that has no audio and declaring anything official seems a bit over the top, no?

Could he have been gesturing toward the dugout while saying “I’m putting this next one over the fence for all your big mouths?”

Similar to “making little Wayne’s head bleed for Superfan99 over there…”

I mean, it’s still smack talk and calling your shot even if you didn’t point the bat, right?

Also that video is hardly described as well shot, clear or continuous in so far as I can tell.

here I'll type this again for you, Too Short, since you obviously missed it the first time

try listening to what Billy Herman had to say. he got the 411 from the catcher. you know, the guy who was a couple of feet away when it all went down? that not good enough for you, Slick Rick? LOL

what he said, what my eyes saw, and what common sense tells me just so happened to unite, and thats more than sufficient for me. but if you want to play the pretend game, that's your prerogative, Kool Moe Dee

hell, forget what the catcher said for a moment. let's focus on what Babe said himself......."I looked out in center field and pointed..."

is that where he pointed, Rob Base, or is the video too grainy for you to tell whether or not he's PREVARICATING?😆

The catcher was not even looking at that moment. He was completely turned away from the time Ruth was gesturing toward left center. His testimony can't be accurate if he wasn't even looking. Everything you wrote about that testimony is out the window.

Ruth was not gesturing toward the dugout here. He may have been speaking to them, but look at the third base line in relation to his gesture. He is gesturing toward left center and the gesture is nowhere near toward the dugout otherwise you wouldn't see his arm stretched out from that camera angle.

This is backed up by the newspaper report.. He was jawing with the Cubs and fans. No doubt he continued as he rounded third.

He gestured he was going to hit a HR and he did, and it was pretty close to the spot where he was gesturing. He hit the HR and then rubbed it in after he succeeded.

• craig44craig44 Posts: 11,023 ✭✭✭✭✭

@galaxy27 said:

@galaxy27 said:

second, unless my eyes deceive me, i don't at all think he was calling his shot. it appears to me as if he's motioning toward the third-base dugout, perhaps getting into it with someone or someones who were jawing at him.

wouldn't be the first time embellishment was employed to create a fanciful and fictitious story.

edit: after watching this, i'm 1,000% certain. listen to what Billy Herman said what the catcher said about it. Ruth was doing exactly what i thought he was doing.

edit times 2: watch his trip around the bases after his tater. he was motioning toward the Chicago dugout/fans the entire time.

officially debunked.

LOL

Watching a grainy video that has no audio and declaring anything official seems a bit over the top, no?

Could he have been gesturing toward the dugout while saying “I’m putting this next one over the fence for all your big mouths?”

I mean, it’s still smack talk and calling your shot even if you didn’t point the bat, right?

Also that video is hardly described as well shot, clear or continuous in so far as I can tell.

here I'll type this again for you, Too Short, since you obviously missed it the first time

try listening to what Billy Herman had to say. he got the 411 from the catcher. you know, the guy who was a couple of feet away when it all went down? that not good enough for you, Slick Rick? LOL

what he said, what my eyes saw, and what common sense tells me just so happened to unite, and thats more than sufficient for me. but if you want to play the pretend game, that's your prerogative, Kool Moe Dee

hell, forget what the catcher said for a moment. let's focus on what Babe said himself......."I looked out in center field and pointed..."

is that where he pointed, Rob Base, or is the video too grainy for you to tell whether or not he's PREVARICATING?😆

The catcher was not even looking at that moment. He was completely turned away from the time Ruth was gesturing toward left center. His testimony can't be accurate if he wasn't even looking. Everything you wrote about that testimony is out the window.

Ruth was not gesturing toward the dugout here. He may have been speaking to them, but look at the third base line in relation to his gesture. He is gesturing toward left center and the gesture is nowhere near toward the dugout otherwise you wouldn't see his arm stretched out from that camera angle.

This is backed up by the newspaper report.. He was jawing with the Cubs and fans. No doubt he continued as he rounded third.

He gestured he was going to hit a HR and he did, and it was pretty close to the spot where he was gesturing. He hit the HR and then rubbed it in after he succeeded.

this is a good visual of what was happening. I didnt notice the catcher looking the other way at the time.

Good detective work!! fascinating thread

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

@1948_Swell_Robinson

Excellent posts and I love the way you presented it.

edited October 11, 2023 12:12PM

oh good Lord, now we've resorted to drawing lines on a grainy picture from an angle like a color commentator on an NFL telecast to prove we're the smartest person in the room. it's officially amateur hour. never mind any of the superfluous accounts from actual human beings who were at the game and gave personal accounts of what happened, if they don't match the narrative set forth by the two insufferable Yankees fans on this thread, then they are full-blown liars, they don't possess a shred of credibility, and anything they say should be taken with a grain of salt. truly hilarious.

i have no skin in this game. i'm just an objective poster. no one will ever accuse me of stopping to think and forgetting to start again because i'm such a homer than i can't see the forest for the trees. and that's exactly what it feels like debating this topic with you two. that game was played in the age of embellishment. google it if you don't believe me. yet for some reason, the majority of the reporters at that game didn't touch this alleged story with a ten-foot pole. that speaks volumes to me. i love how neither of you acknowledged that glaring nugget of information, but that's because -- once again -- it blows holes in your dreamy narrative.

and you two picking and choosing whom to believe is wildly entertaining. the man who hit the baseball probably has the least amount of credibility of anyone. i've read at least 5 different stories Ruth told. what does that tell you exactly? i know what it tells me. and yet you two choose to cherry-pick the most glamorous version? and then we have Gehrig. apparently everyone is supposed to believe him because according to you two, he's the most trustworthy individual who graced the ballpark that day, and he had no reason whatsoever to waver and provide conflicting stories........ever. well, i have some reading fodder for you below.

hell, even Hall of Famer Bill Dickey -- who played for the............wait for it...........wait for it..........New York Yankees in that World Series -- said that Ruth never called his shot, but was instead simply jawing with Charlie Root, the Cubs pitcher. let me guess, now i should believe swell and his little telestrator over one of your own? have we gotten so desperate with our stance that now members of your own beloved team can no longer be trusted? :D

poll this place. i dare you. you two will be in the extreme minority when it comes to the validity of the original story as has been told for decades. i venture to guess that most members on here would say, unequivocally, that it has been fudged to high heaven and is therefore very likely spurious.

and wheaties, please do not ever lecture me again about proper behavior on here. i'll be more than happy to apologize for any "nastiness" i injected into this thread the moment you do the same to stevek for some of the things YOU said, you hypocritical clown. you called us both dopes for not acquiescing to you like a couple of loser sycophants, and you unleashed another low blow by referencing his hiatus on here and intimating that he might cry and do it again. what an asset you are to this forum. know what would be spectacular? if YOU left for a year. dare i say few would notice, and even less would care. you set the tone yesterday when you replied to me with a smartass comment right off the bat, instead of initiating constructive discourse. you are such a narrow-minded twit that you didn't even watch the video i provided for hours -- and therefore you had no earthly idea wtf i was talking about -- because you couldn't move beyond the words "officially debunked." why? because, once again, that didn't jibe with your own myopic viewpoint.

i tried to let this go last night. i even did the right thing by editing what i initially said. but you just couldn't contain yourself this morning and had to quote me, and then tossed in some holier-than-thou bs for good measure. i'm going to try and let it go again.

@galaxy27

You seem angry.

@galaxy27

Fat fingers. Didn’t want to edit or delete.

You seem angry. You also have said that my words were what upset you.

I apologize.

@stevek

You seemed to take it in stride but why leave it open.

I apologize to you, too, if I upset you.

@stevek

I'd be happy to accept, if I knew what it was for? 😆

Nothing you stated bothered me in the least, but I guess you thought it did.

"set forth by the two insufferable Yankees fans on this thread"

Ah, that explains a lot. I might be grasping for straws about anything as well, even a fan lifeboat if my beloved team played as poorly as the Yankees this season considering their payroll.

MLB payrolls in 2023
    1. N.Y. Mets, $353,546,854
    2. N.Y. Yankees, $276,999,872

What a stinking waste of money. 😆

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

@galaxy27, I must say, I rarely see you get heated like this, that was quite the experience, thank you sir, and remind me never to piss you off.

@stevek said:

@stevek

I'd be happy to accept, if I knew what it was for? 😆

Nothing you stated bothered me in the least, but I guess you thought it did.

👍

I've said this a number of times over the years and I'll say it again. I've never met a coin or card collector who I didn't like. That includes from first grade to now.

Don't get me wrong, this doesn't mean if we meet at a show, that I'm gonna accept an invitation to have a drink with you in your hotel room. So don't get mad at me when I say no, doesn't mean i don't like you. 😉

@stevek said:

Ah, that explains a lot. I might be grasping for straws about anything as well, even a fan lifeboat if my beloved team played as poorly as the Yankees this season considering their payroll.

MLB payrolls in 2023

I'm not a Yankee fan. Definitely not a Yankee hater though. I do view Ruth, Dimaggio, and Mantle as three of the most highly regarded players while in their prime. I like their cards too. Ted Williams too.

@stevek said:

MLB payrolls in 2023

I'm not a Yankee fan. Definitely not a Yankee hater though. I do view Ruth, Dimaggio, and Mantle as three of the most highly regarded players while in their prime. I like their cards too. Ted Williams too.

Ruth, DiMaggio, Mantle, Williams - that makes a dam good foundation for a nice card collection. 😊

• 4for44for4 Posts: 675 ✭✭✭

Not sure about Ruth, but I do know for a fact that this is how Joe Morgan learned how to hit.

Forum members on ignore
    Erba - coolstanley-dallasactuary-SDsportsfan
    daltex

• 4for44for4 Posts: 675 ✭✭✭
    edited October 12, 2023 4:41AM

@galaxy27

You seem angry.

He is angry. As a lover of our galaxy he is very frustrated that scientists have yet to explore certain parts of Uranus. He’s been waiting for years for them to explore Uranus. It truly is a beautiful thing to see up close and personal.😊

Forum members on ignore
    Erba - coolstanley-dallasactuary-SDsportsfan
    daltex

@doubledragon said:

@galaxy27, I must say, I rarely see you get heated like this, that was quite the experience, thank you sir, and remind me never to piss you off.

all good in the hood double d

wheaties and i are going bowling tonight

@galaxy27 said:

@doubledragon said:

To be honest, I don’t really even like bowling but the matching shirts and watching you get ready to go make it all worth it…

@galaxy27 said:

@doubledragon said:

I've gone bowling with @1951WheatiesPremium. He can be annoying because every time it's his turn to bowl, he points at the pins.

@stevek said:

@galaxy27 said:

@doubledragon said:

I've gone bowling with @1951WheatiesPremium. He can be annoying because every time it's his turn to bowl, he points at the pins.

Between the 2nd grade game of telephone stories, the softball stories, the stance on offers to go up to mens hotel rooms for drinks, the incredible humor and other as yet unknown anecdotes and sports opinion, I could never turn down your invitations to bowl.

Sorry for being annoying but then stop inviting me back, my man!

@stevek said:

@galaxy27 said:

@doubledragon said:

Between the 2nd grade game of telephone stories, the softball stories, the stance on offers to go up to mens hotel rooms for drinks, the incredible humor and other as yet unknown anecdotes and sports opinion, I could never turn down your invitations to bowl.

@thisistheshow said:

@stevek said:

@galaxy27 said:

@doubledragon said:

That’s fantastic.

By the way, the interesting thing is that I’ve actually never offered an opinion on whether Ruth called his shot or not. What I did is post two fun, semi related clips to the thread early on and subsequently tried to point out that the evidence being presented was a bit suspect and that it’s hard to draw any serious conclusions based on the media and accounts that have been posted.

I mean, the fact that in some cases the very same evidence has been used to cast both certainty and doubt upon the claims being made speaks to its quality.

• TheGoonies1985TheGoonies1985 Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ticket from that game up for auction over at HA:

@PillarDollarCollector said:
    Ticket from that game up for auction over at HA:

thanks for sharing this. here's the linky for those who want to see where it hammers (or want to go after it!)

https://sports.ha.com/itm/baseball-collectibles/tickets/1932-world-series-game-three-ticket-stub-psa-good-2-babe-ruth-s-called-shot-/a/70005-59880.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515

One heckuva nice ticket!

Wish i could afford it. 🤑

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

That ticket is awesome. I must confess, this thread has sparked a fire inside of me to collect Babe Ruth, for the past two day I've been ransacking ebay looking at Babe Ruth cards, mostly 1/1 modern stuff, the vintage is just too expensive. Babe Ruth is fascinating and I'm going to enjoy this ride!

@doubledragon said:
    That ticket is awesome. I must confess, this thread has sparked a fire inside of me to collect Babe Ruth, for the past two day I've been ransacking ebay looking at Babe Ruth cards, mostly 1/1 modern stuff, the vintage is just too expensive. Babe Ruth is fascinating and I'm going to enjoy this ride!

Check out this CU thread for some eye candy:

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1096521/signed-1933-goudey-181-babe-ruth-psa-authentic-auto-9#latest

• EstilEstil Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭✭

…and here’s the Iron Horse…

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bhamMdkktFQ

…who was there, on the field and saw it with his own eyes. Famous for his Boy Scout persona, I doubt he’d offer a prevarication on a national radio program.

Don't forget that the Pride of the Yankees was an Ivy Leaguer (Columbia) too!

WISHLIST
    D's: 54S,53P,50P,49S,45D+S,44S,43D,41S,40D+S,39D+S,38D+S,37D+S,36S,35D+S,all 16-34's
    Q's: 52S,47S,46S,40S,39S,38S,37D+S,36D+S,35D,34D,32D+S
    74T: 37,38,47,151,193,241,435,570,610,654,655 97 Finest silver: 115,135,139,145,310
    73T:31,55,61,62,63,64,65,66,67,68,80,152,165,189,213,235,237,257,341,344,377,379,390,422,433,453,480,497,545,554,563,580,606,613,630
    95 Ultra GM Sets: Golden Prospects,HR Kings,On-Base Leaders,Power Plus,RBI Kings,Rising Stars
  • georgebailey2georgebailey2 Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭

@galaxy27 said:

@galaxy27 said:

In my opinion, Ruth appears square in the batters' box, i.e. feet and chest perpendicular to the plate facing toward the dugout.

His right arm seems to be perpendicular to his chest, not parallel, which means he seems to be pointing toward the dugout/stands along the baseline and not pointing out to the field.

Listening to the Gehrig interview, I got the sense he was being a bit playful with it.

When you consider what was written, rather, not written, by many of the writers covering the game who loved a good story and all of the motioning towards the third base dugout while rounding the base, I would say it is more likely that that Ruth was doing more of a "Hey you, I'm gonna" to someone(s) in the dugout rather than pointing to centerfield.

Either way, it's legendary.
    Not as good as staring down the shortstop....twice. But pretty good nonetheless.

@doubledragon said:

You can actually still land some pretty fun vintage stuff of his; might not be a card but there’s all sorts of pins, hats, photos, premiums and such that pop up from time to time at reasonable prices from the 1925-35 time period.

There’s also a pretty fun book* by Dan Gutman called Babe and Me that is a fun childrens book about a boy and his father and baseball cards set against the backdrop of the Called Shot.

And you don’t have to be a kid to read them…

*It’s actually a series with a fun premise, there’s Mickey and Me, Honus and Me and a few others. If any of you have grade school or middle school kids, they might enjoy them and the books also teach a little bit about the time period that is visited, including an annex of information about each story at the back.

Bumping this thread for my man galaxy.

• erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,754 ✭✭✭✭✭

@galaxy27 said:

@galaxy27 said:

officially debunked.

LOL

After finally catching up with this thread I really needed to point out how wrong you are here.
    that's your prerogative, Kool Moe Dee
    Don't you be dissing one of Boston's sons like that. 😎

• Alfonz24Alfonz24 Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭✭✭

#LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.