Home Sports Talk

Share with us any mind blowing stat.

4for44for4 Posts: 675 ✭✭✭

Forum members on ignore
Erba - coolstanley-dallasactuary-SDsportsfan
daltex

Comments

• LandrysFedoraLandrysFedora Posts: 1,965 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tony Gwynn could have ended his career 0 for 1,182 and still have a career .300 average. That stat is mind boggling to me! It was an honor to watch him hit. Gone way too soon. We miss you Tony.

• 4for44for4 Posts: 675 ✭✭✭
    edited October 6, 2023 8:27AM

These two have the same amount of postseason wins without TB. 😉

The top guy did it in 140 games.
    The bottom guy 35 games. 🏈

Forum members on ignore
    daltex

• galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

from 2004-2006, Tiger Woods had 1,463 putts on the PGA Tour from 3 feet and inside.

he missed 3 of them.

you'll never be able to outrun a bad diet

• craig44craig44 Posts: 11,020 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cy Young completed 749 games

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

Jim Brown played 9 seasons. he led the league in rushing in 8 of those. The one season he didnt, he had a wrist injury in the 4th game that affected the way he carried the ball. He still ended up with 1500 yards from scrimmage.

@Alfonz24 said:

He disagrees

Forum members on ignore
    daltex

• 2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭✭✭

@craig44 said:
    Cy Young completed 749 games

And 1000 wins. Ok 500+ without looking up the exact #

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • 1948_Swell_Robinson1948_Swell_Robinson Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭✭✭

Most stats aren't mind blowing, but the one I find most impressive has to do with Joe Dimaggio. We heard of Babe Ruth out homering every team in the league, and that is impressive.

What a lot of people don't realize is that Joe Dimaggio played in the most difficult park in history for Right Handed batters and it really hid how good he was.

Keep in mind that Dimaggio wasn't just a home run hitter, but.....

In 1937 Joe Dimaggio hit 19 home runs at HOME in 306 at bats.

Every other RH hitter in the league had 3,029 at bats IN YANKEE STADIUM that year.

In those 3,029 at bats at Yankee stadium, they only hit 32 home runs.

Joe Dimaggio is actually one of the most underrated players ever. In addition to his severed handicap as a right handed hitter in death valley, he also lost years to WWII.

• thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1948_Swell_Robinson said:
    Most stats aren't mind blowing, but the one I find most impressive has to do with Joe Dimaggio. We heard of Babe Ruth out homering every team in the league, and that is impressive.

What a lot of people don't realize is that Joe Dimaggio played in the most difficult park in history for Right Handed batters and it really hid how good he was.

Keep in mind that Dimaggio wasn't just a home run hitter, but.....

In 1937 Joe Dimaggio hit 19 home runs at HOME in 306 at bats.

Every other RH hitter in the league had 3,029 at bats IN YANKEE STADIUM that year.

In those 3,029 at bats at Yankee stadium, they only hit 32 home runs.

Joe Dimaggio is actually one of the most underrated players ever. In addition to his severed handicap as a right handed hitter in death valley, he also lost years to WWII.

Did the Babe call his shot?
    Does Joe DiMaggio dunk his donuts?

These are the questions that give this place life!!!! Why? Because... this is the show
    https://youtu.be/axXuWJz1pEw?feature=shared

• Basebal21Basebal21 Posts: 3,046 ✭✭✭✭

Tatis Sr two grand slams in the same inning. Not sure anyone else has ever had two basesloaded at bats in the same inning.

Randy Johnson killing a bird with a pitch

Deion Sanders scoring a NFL touchdown and hitting a homerun in MLB the same day

Missouri 14 OSU 3

Joe DiMaggios 56 game hitting streak. Little known was his record 61 game hitting streak in the minors.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.

In 1920 Babe Ruth finished the year with 54 home runs, an 86 percent increase from his record-setting 1919 total of 29. Ruth out-homered every other team in the American League

W.C.Fields

@1948_Swell_Robinson, that stat about Dimaggio is astounding. never heard of it before. really puts some things into perspective. can you imagine what he would have done in Fenway?

• erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,754 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 12, 2023 11:49AM

In 23 seasons played,Tom Brady never took a single NFL snap where his team was mathematically eliminated from the playoffs. His career regular season snap count was 12,094.

@erikthredd said:
    In 23 seasons played,Tom Brady never took a single NFL snap where his team was mathematically eliminated from the playoffs. His career regular season snap count was 12,094.

I had to look it up to remember how this worked. The only years the Patriots didn't go to the playoffs during his time were 2008 (only played in first game) and 2002 (his 2nd year as starter). So I couldn't remember how 2002 played out. For anyone interested, the Patriots finished their last game of the season still eligible for the playoffs, but later that day the Jets won giving them the edge and the playoff berth.

• 1 out of every 4 people have worms and doesn't know it.

The substantial truth doctrine is an important defense in defamation law that allows individuals to avoid liability if the gist of their statement was true.

@thisistheshow said:

@erikthredd said:

I had to look it up to remember how this worked. The only years the Patriots didn't go to the playoffs during his time were 2008 (only played in first game) and 2002 (his 2nd year as starter). So I couldn't remember how 2002 played out. For anyone interested, the Patriots finished their last game of the season still eligible for the playoffs, but later that day the Jets won giving them the edge and the playoff berth.

Yup,I just double checked and NE had a 4pm game against Miami in week 17 which they won then once the game was over they lost out on the playoffs due to tiebreakers. Pretty crazy stat.

• The Dolphins haven't won a First round playoff game since the year 2000.

The substantial truth doctrine is an important defense in defamation law that allows individuals to avoid liability if the gist of their statement was true.

@galaxy27 said:
    Greg Maddux faced 20,421 batters during his time in the league. In those 20,421 at-bats, only 310 hitters saw a 3-0 count. Out of those 310, 3-0 counts, 177 of them were intentional walks.

Bonds would be the obvious choice for most career walks against Maddux
    Most total walks vs GM
    https://www.statmuse.com/mlb/ask/individual-batters-with-the-most-walks-against-greg-maddux
    Most intentional walks against GM
    https://www.statmuse.com/mlb/ask/individual-batters-with-the-most-intentional-walks-against-greg-maddux

That Maddux/Glavine/Smoltz trio was definitely something special.

@RiveraFamilyCollect said:
    1 out of every 4 people have worms and doesn't know it.

• galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

amazing

you'll never be able to outrun a bad diet

• coolstanleycoolstanley Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭✭✭

Barry Bonds is the only member of the 400/400 club and 500/500 club.

Terry Bradshaw was AMAZING!!

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Alfonz24Alfonz24 Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can not find verification, but I thought I heard that a Bruce Bochy coached team that wins the first game of a playoff series has won 13 series in a row.

#LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.
  • TabeTabe Posts: 6,008 ✭✭✭✭✭

One of my favorites:

During Tom Brady's NFL career, Calvin Johnson:

• played multiple years of high school football
    • played his entire college career
    • played his entire NFL career
    • retired
    • hung around for 5 years
    • was elected to the NFL Hall of Fame
  • DarinDarin Posts: 6,801 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you shuffle a deck of cards, chances are when you’re finished that the order the cards come up will be the first time in history that they have been shuffled in that particular order.

• Jack131Jack131 Posts: 67 ✭✭

Similar to Tom Brady and Calvin Johnson, during Rickey Henderson's career, Kirby Puckett:

1. Graduated from Calumet High School in 1979
    2. Played college baseball at Bradley University in 1980-1981
    3. Played minor league baseball from 1982 to 1984
    4. Played MLB with the Twins from 1984 to 1995
    5. Forced to retire from 1996 to 2001
    6. Elected to Hall of Fame in 2001

@Tabe said:
    One of my favorites:

During Tom Brady's NFL career, Calvin Johnson:

• played multiple years of high school football
    • played his entire college career
    • played his entire NFL career
    • retired
    • hung around for 5 years
    • was elected to the NFL Hall of Fame

holy cow, that really gives some perspective on Tommys career!!

Here is another one I stole from the internet:

Tom Brady played so long that 6 players who began their careers after he did have already been inducted into the Hall of Fame:
    Calvin Johnson
    Troy Polamalu
    Ed Reed
    Steve Hutchinson
    LaDainian Tomlinson
    Richard Seymour

another AMAZING Tommy statistic:

He is second all time in rushing yards for a player over 40 to Doug Flutie. 206-183!

Tommy is also second all time in receiving yards for a player over 40 to Jerry rice. 2169-6.

@craig44 said:

Tom Brady played so long that 6 players who began their careers after he did have already been inducted into the Hall of Fame:
    Calvin Johnson
    Troy Polamalu
    Ed Reed
    Steve Hutchinson
    LaDainian Tomlinson
    Richard Seymour

This is cool 😎

Forum members on ignore
    daltex

@craig44 said:

He is second all time in rushing yards for a player over 40 to Doug Flutie. 206-183!

Tommy is also second all time in receiving yards for a player over 40 to Jerry rice. 2169-6.

Throwing the challenge flag here.
    Maybe stats, but not so amazing.
    I actually find it amazing he played that long and only rushed for 1123 yards.
    Did Lamar Jackson catch him his rookie year or did it take him 2 years?

@Darin said:

@craig44 said:

I must say that I put those numbers out here with my tongue firmly planted in my cheek. I know that Tommy was about as fleet of foot as a porcupine. I find it humorous that he played long enough to have his name on any rushing or receiving lists.

• ApplejacksApplejacks Posts: 384 ✭✭✭

I don’t know if this is truly amazing but it’s the first time I ever noticed it.

Alex Ovechkin in a 4-1 loss to Toronto this week had more shots on goal (14), then his own goalie had saves (13).

Washington outshot Toronto like 37 to 17 and lost 4-1.

When else has a player ever had more shots on goal then his own goalie had saves ?

@Darin said:

@craig44 said:

Does Mahomes have permission to do sneaks again, or is he still not allowed?

edited October 25, 2023 7:25AM

@craig44 said:

Calvin Johnson
    Troy Polamalu
    Ed Reed
    Steve Hutchinson
    LaDainian Tomlinson
    Richard Seymour

Did Tom Brady ever play in a Super Bowl with/against 25 other hall of famers ?

That was done in the 1979 Super Bowl. Simply amazing.

@thisistheshow said:

@Darin said:

@craig44 said:

He better not do sneaks, the last time he did his kneecap wound up on the side of his leg instead of the front which is normally where you prefer it to be. 😱

@Darin said:

@thisistheshow said:

@Darin said:

@craig44 said:

He better not do sneaks, the last time he did his kneecap wound up on the side of his leg instead of the front which is normally where you prefer it to be. 😱

I know. That's when Reid shut him down. Im just giving you a hard time cuz you were bashing Brady's rushing. 🤷🏈👍👍💪💪👊👊😜🤯

@thisistheshow said:

@Darin said:

@thisistheshow said:

@Darin said:

@craig44 said:

I know. That's when Reid shut him down. Im just giving you a hard time cuz you were bashing Brady's rushing. 🤷🏈👍👍💪💪👊👊😜🤯

Speaking of rushing I wonder what you guys think.
    In 1990 RC had more total yards then JM, more TDS and less INTs but JM won league MVP.

Shouldn’t a QB get credit for his rushing and passing?

If so, RC may have got shafted in the 1990 MVP race, even though both were great.

@Applejacks said:

@thisistheshow said:

@Darin said:

@thisistheshow said:

@Darin said:

@craig44 said:

In 1990 RC had more total yards then JM, more TDS and less INTs but JM won league MVP.

If so, RC may have got shafted in the 1990 MVP race, even though both were great.

The reasoning given would probably be the records. 2003, McNair, first black QB
    , not player but QB,to win MVP, if that's the direction you are going. I say that only because if you look up this debate that fact comes up, so...

@thisistheshow said:

@Applejacks said:

@thisistheshow said:

@Darin said:

@thisistheshow said:

@Darin said:

@craig44 said:

, not player but QB,to win MVP, if that's the direction you are going. I say that only because if you look up this debate that fact comes up, so...

Well heavens no. Didn’t even know a debate existed to be honest.

Was thinking in the direction that Montana won because he had a 14-1 team and more passing yards.
    Eagles were only 10-6.

@Applejacks said:

@thisistheshow said:

@Applejacks said:

@thisistheshow said:

@Darin said:

@thisistheshow said:

@Darin said:

@craig44 said:

Well heavens no. Didn’t even know a debate existed to be honest.

Was thinking in the direction that Montana won because he had a 14-1 team and more passing yards.
    Eagles were only 10-6.

Makes sense. Yeah, the record is the outlier.

• countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,366 ✭✭✭✭✭

This one gets brought up by Mark Gubicza roughly once a month on the Angels broadcast, always in the context of "he's due", which is hilarious to me because the at bat almost always ends in a strikeout. Lol

Trouty, with 368 career homeruns, has only hit 2 career homeruns in the 7th inning or later that has flipped the score from the Angels trailing to the Angels leading. One in 2014 vs the White Sox and one in 2022 vs the Rangers. (Fact check, if you desire.) Think about that the next time you're watching highlights and you see some scrub you've never heard of coming through late in the game with the big homerun that turns a loss into a win.

• streeterstreeter Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tony Cloninger(sp?), A PITCHER!!!, Hit TWO grand slams in one 9 inning game.

Iirc.

Have a nice day

@countdouglas said:
    This one gets brought up by Mark Gubicza roughly once a month on the Angels broadcast, always in the context of "he's due", which is hilarious to me because the at bat almost always ends in a strikeout. Lol

Trouty, with 368 career homeruns, has only hit 2 career homeruns in the 7th inning or later that has flipped the score from the Angels trailing to the Angels leading. One in 2014 vs the White Sox and one in 2022 vs the Rangers. (Fact check, if you desire.) Think about that the next time you're watching highlights and you see some scrub you've never heard of coming through late in the game with the big homerun that turns a loss into a win.

Good ole Trouty!
    I credit him for applying for permanent membership to the injured reserve list.
    He is tired of letting fans down so his solution….. just stop playing.

• electrodeelectrode Posts: 212 ✭✭✭

Playing for the powerfull Montreal Canadiens and a few years with Los Angeles Larry Robinson's plus minus was + 722

• lanemyer85lanemyer85 Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭

since he's in the news, Dusty Baker (in the postseason) left a SP in the game long enough to allow 5 or more runs 19 times in 94 games.

• TabeTabe Posts: 6,008 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Applejacks said:
    I don’t know if this is truly amazing but it’s the first time I ever noticed it.

Alex Ovechkin in a 4-1 loss to Toronto this week had more shots on goal (14), then his own goalie had saves (13).

Washington outshot Toronto like 37 to 17 and lost 4-1.

When else has a player ever had more shots on goal then his own goalie had saves ?

Probably not too many times in a game where the goalie plays all 60.