Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

R.I.P. Dick Butkus

Comments

• Options
    EstilEstil Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭✭

No...not the one that was in the Coach episode!!
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dick_Butkus

WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,47,151,193,241,435,570,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • Options
    Cubbies1416Cubbies1416 Posts: 57 ✭✭✭

The man that embodied the term "Monster of The Midway". As a Bears fan, it hurts to see one of your all-time greats leave this world, but at least he lived a long life. I finally got to meet Dick last year and had him sign my Bears book and flag.

• Options
    shawthershawther Posts: 284 ✭✭✭

Sad day! The guy was tough as nails!

• Options
    jeffv96mastersjeffv96masters Posts: 603 ✭✭✭✭

I collect very little football- maybe 10% of my PC. Butkus though- probably have 50 of this one card below buried somewhere in my storage. Him blowing through an O-Line- yeah- scary sight :scream:

• Options
    4for44for4 Posts: 675 ✭✭✭

The greatest. RIP

Forum members on ignore
    Erba - coolstanley-dallasactuary-SDsportsfan
    daltex

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,464 ✭✭✭✭✭

RIP

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,831 ✭✭✭✭✭

great ballplayer. sad day

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,329 ✭✭✭✭✭

Massive talent - one of the best linebackers of all time - also a solid actor.

His appearances in My Two Dad’s and Unnecessary Roughness come to mind…

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options
    rexvosrexvos Posts: 3,291 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was lucky to pick this up before the card boom.

And count myself very lucky to get a chance to meet him in 2002 and have this lithograph signed

Looking for FB HOF Rookies
  • Options
    brad31brad31 Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very sad - an All-Time great Bear, Illini and a fun little acting career. It was a different game when he played and watching his intensity on videos is something to see.

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,830 ✭✭✭✭✭

he did his job well, r.i.p

• Options
    GroceryRackPackGroceryRackPack Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭✭✭

From the Chicago Sun-Times...

• Options
    IndianaJonesIndianaJones Posts: 346 ✭✭✭

Dick Butkus's passing hurts so bad. Sure, he was 80; yeah. Still, the tears run as I remember when Dick was THE Monster of the Midway. Dick and Gale Sayers were among our few consolations as Bears fans during his years. I well remember in 1970 when CBS in Chicago did a 15-30 minute special devoted to Dick. There was no narration. They had a strong mike to pick up the game action, as the cameraman trained his motion picture camera on Dick, and we were treated to watch him pulverize ANYone with the ball. It was simply fascinating.

If you've never gone on YOUTUBE and treated yourself to the Dick Butkus highlights tribute loaded up years ago, avail yourself of the privilege of seeing some fearsome, ferocious, fabulous Dick Butkus game clips. Trust me, you will never, ever forget what you'll see.

My small memory was from the late 60's when O. J. Simpson was the acclaimed rookie running back of the Buffalo Bills. I suppose O. J. heard warnings from his teammates, but the confident, cocky Simpson ignored them. Warming up on the sidelines, after a while he began to notice a Bear player on the opposite side of the field "following him" wherever O. J. went, just looking at him menacingly. It was Dick Butkus "warming up his warpath"!

Inevitably, early in the game, O. J. Simpson was handed off the ball, and began to charge through the Bear front line, only to be caught, clenched in the arms of Dick Butkus, then driven down "INTO" the ground with all Dick's mighty fury. The stunned Simpson was motionless for a moment, and I believe Dick parted him with the words, "Welcome to the NFL, grunt." To be sure, O. J. Simpson now knew who Dick Butkus was, and the bruising, busting tackle would never be forgotten by him.

---- Indiana Jones (Brian Powell)

• Options
    82FootballWaxMemorys82FootballWaxMemorys Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 6, 2023 4:20PM

@1951WheatiesPremium said:
    Massive talent - one of the best linebackers of all time - also a solid actor.

His appearances in My Two Dad’s and Unnecessary Roughness come to mind…

Him and Bubba Smith in Blue Thunder TV Series with a pre-SNL Dana Carvey

It's the singer not the song - Peter Townshend (1972)

• Options
    gonzergonzer Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭✭✭

Having the pleasure of watching most of his career growing up I can say unequivocally that he was THE best defensive player of all time, period.

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,831 ✭✭✭✭✭

Butkus was before my time. I was able to see lots of Lawrence Taylor. who was considered the better player, and why?

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.