Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

White whale find! 1979 Hostess unissued proof cards Trammell, McCovey ++ Ultra rare! I am floored!

The 1979 Hostess unissued proofs! They are extremely rare. Hostess made 150 card sets all five years. In some of the years they made a few extra cards numbered beyond 150 as potential replacements(or possibly for a potential larger set). These are extremely rare and the 1979 almost never come up.

I have been looking for these cards forever. Sometime around 2001 the Trammell and a few commons came up for auction(individually) on EBay. I didn’t win back then. The Trammell alone went for more than what a complete 1979 panel set was going for at that time. I figured, “No need to get into a bidding war, with the internet in play, they will come around again.” I waited, and waited, and waited, and searched. Nothing. Then boom, I was right, they did, but more than 20 years later!

I come across this gem, and I was floored. Not just the Trammell, but the McCovey and ten others! Including three very interesting numbered blank cards. The color on the cards is extraordinary too.

The 1979 “unissued proof” set is listed in the Standard Catalog of Baseball Cards. It lists 17 cards. Some of them had numbers on the back. Some are no numbers on the back. They are all full production cards, not early color production proofs.

If you look at that list in the Card Catalog you notice some numbers are skipped. Here in this group are cards with those skipped numbers. They are blank on the back(other than the number), and blank on the front(other than the frame and dotted lines).

Comments

• Options
    RedHeart54RedHeart54 Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭

Interesting that the Trammell used the same pic from his 1978 Topps Burger King card and it’s a reversed negative to boot. I’ve seen other Topps proofs (unissued and issued) with reverse negatives. Kind of an interesting coincidence.

• Options
    coolstanleycoolstanley Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice!

Terry Bradshaw was AMAZING!!

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,536 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very cool!

Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,555 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congratulations on your find. 22 years is a long time to search.

there is no feeling like finally acquiring cards you have searched so long for

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    ApplejacksApplejacks Posts: 384 ✭✭✭

Oh what a feeling!

• Options
    EstilEstil Posts: 6,923 ✭✭✭✭
    WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • Options
    brad31brad31 Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭✭✭

Amazing story and tenacity on your decades long search. Thanks for the education on the proofs. Very cool find and glad you were able to add them to your collection.

• Options
    Kid4hof03Kid4hof03 Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tremendous! Congratulations, definitely worth the wait.

Collecting anything and everything relating to Roger Staubach
  • Options
    RonSportscardsRonSportscards Posts: 810 ✭✭✭✭

Are the scissors coming out?

• Options

@RonSportscards said:
    Are the scissors coming out?

I am debating that. The right side of the sheet has been cut already so I won't be cutting a full sheet. If it were completely full then it would be hard for me to consider cutting it.

There is also a very nice Dale Murphy panel on the sheet. The Murphy panel goes for as much(or more sometimes) than the Ozzie Smith rookie panel because the Murphy card is hard to find.

So I could cut it and keep the unissued cards and then sell the rest of them.

• Options
    lawyer05lawyer05 Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭✭

@1948_Swell_Robinson said:
    The 1979 Hostess unissued proofs! They are extremely rare. Hostess made 150 card sets all five years. In some of the years they made a few extra cards numbered beyond 150 as potential replacements(or possibly for a potential larger set). These are extremely rare and the 1979 almost never come up.

I have been looking for these cards forever. Sometime around 2001 the Trammell and a few commons came up for auction(individually) on EBay. I didn’t win back then. The Trammell alone went for more than what a complete 1979 panel set was going for at that time. I figured, “No need to get into a bidding war, with the internet in play, they will come around again.” I waited, and waited, and waited, and searched. Nothing. Then boom, I was right, they did, but more than 20 years later!

I come across this gem, and I was floored. Not just the Trammell, but the McCovey and ten others! Including three very interesting numbered blank cards. The color on the cards is extraordinary too.

The 1979 “unissued proof” set is listed in the Standard Catalog of Baseball Cards. It lists 17 cards. Some of them had numbers on the back. Some are no numbers on the back. They are all full production cards, not early color production proofs.

If you look at that list in the Card Catalog you notice some numbers are skipped. Here in this group are cards with those skipped numbers. They are blank on the back(other than the number), and blank on the front(other than the frame and dotted lines).

Boohoo no Carew .... congrats !!

• Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,529 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats on a nice score!!!

Donato

Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options
    threeofsixthreeofsix Posts: 565 ✭✭✭✭

We’ll done!!!!!!

Congrats!

The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few. Or the one.
    Live long, and prosper.
  • Options
    mexpo75mexpo75 Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭

That is awesome find! Almost as good as me walking into my local ABC store and finding a bottle of Blantons!

PackManInNC
  • Options
    Nathaniel1960Nathaniel1960 Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭✭✭

I will ask my contact at GAI if they will grade the entire sheet.

Kiss me once, shame on you.
    Kiss me twice.....let's party.
  • Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,244 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congratulations on a very cool find!

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options

Congrats, the 20 year wait is exactly why people buy cards numbered less than /5 for a premium. They may not surface for a very long time.

• Options
    estangestang Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭

Wow - I had no idea.

I don't understand why that Carew is an unissued proof?

It does look like that spelled his last name with a "G" instead of a "C" - did you mean that it's an error?

I know there's a "small-head" version of this card...

Enjoy your collection!
    Erik
  • Options
    edited January 26, 2024 9:17AM

@estang said:
    Wow - I had no idea.

I don't understand why that Carew is an unissued proof?

It does look like that spelled his last name with a "G" instead of a "C" - did you mean that it's an error?

I know there's a "small-head" version of this card...

this is the small head. The small head was the first version. It is clearly an error proof that was never issued...therefore it is unissued.

The seller had other players

• Options
    RonSportscardsRonSportscards Posts: 810 ✭✭✭✭

Is it safe assumption to say that any panel with a "+" in between the cards is going to be unissued proofs?

• Options

@RonSportscards said:
    Is it safe assumption to say that any panel with a "+" in between the cards is going to be unissued proofs?

it looks like it

• Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mexpo75 said:
    That is awesome find! Almost as good as me walking into my local ABC store and finding a bottle of Blantons!

In Virginia you have to get to the ABC store 20 minutes before opening, wait in a small line, and then you might get a bottle of Blantons or Buffalo Trace.

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options
    mexpo75mexpo75 Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭

Or Eagle Rare!

PackManInNC