Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Help me to decode these annotations in the Waldo Newcomer 1935 sale

BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited September 29, 2023 5:38AM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

Boyd = FCC Boyd
WR = Wayte Raymond
Wormser = Moritz Wormser / New Netherlands
M.W. = Moritz Wormser (per @Pistareen )? Could it be an abbreviation for convenience to avoid writing Wormser?
Nassan = ? Believe a UK based firm going by annotations in other catalogs)
Ord?? = Probably "Order" for mail bid per JK
Lakewood = John Clapp (per annotations in the catalog shown below)
Marx = Jacob Marx

Comments

• bidaskbidask Posts: 14,016 ✭✭✭✭✭

??

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• ExbritExbrit Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭✭

To the east side

• pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,507 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Boosibri said:
    Moved to US Forum

Because they’re smarter over there….

• BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭✭

@pruebas said:

@Boosibri said:
    Moved to US Forum

Because they’re smarter over there….

No, quite the opposite. But, the dealers of US coins and world coins were basically the same n the 30’s, same for the collectors, so I thought more eyes on the thread since so few are present on this side of the forum and even fewer ever respond to my threads.

• pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,507 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 28, 2023 4:30AM

Just giving you grief! >:)

• MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 24,232 ✭✭✭✭✭

Let me guess. You're going to start collecting hockey cards?

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.

@MrEureka said:
    Let me guess. You're going to start collecting hockey cards?

haha, yes. And I dropped my collection into a weekly Great Collections auction to generate those funds.

Adding the details back here as no one gave an F on the US forum either. Too many dipped Morgans to discuss.

• coinkatcoinkat Posts: 23,051 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sadly I answered on the US forum... and I should answered here earlier even if it was to write that I got nothing- at least you would know it was read and acknowledged. And I really don't think that is too much for you to ask

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• coinkatcoinkat Posts: 23,051 ✭✭✭✭✭

Please choose either topps baseball cards from the 1952-1960 time frame- Bowman from 1950-55

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

I don't know who Nassan is, but I've got two thoughts. First, Nassan sounds like the name of a guy someone named Farouk might use as an agent. And second, I wonder if it might actually be Nassau, because there used to be a good number of coin dealers on Nassau street in NYC.

Andy Lustig

• ELuisELuis Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭✭✭

^ +1 will say the last letter is an U, on my days when I used the cursive writting, many moooons ago.

edited November 28, 2023 3:14AM

Here is a 1931 Sothebys sales with the winning bidders. Nassan along with the other British firms.

I thought Nassau as well but this seemed to confirm Nassan for me. I could start matching to the Farouk coins as a good thought and the timing would be roughly right as Farouk ascended behind his father in 1936.

I’m more thinking Wormser is Moritz Wormser and M.W. Is still TBC or just used interchangeably.

• JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭✭✭

Could the "Marx" possibly be "Mary" he seemed to have many affiliations with organizations in Maryland

edited September 29, 2023 5:35AM

@JohnnyCache said:
    Could the "Marx" possibly be "Mary" he seemed to have many affiliations with organizations in Maryland

Jacob Marx, a collector. Searched Abe Kosoff remembers…good idea @MrEureka .

• ExbritExbrit Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭✭

Hassan and Hassam, but no Nassan sadly.

.Just got home this evening and trying to reset my body clock. Calling it a night shortly, but I did just check out my Newcomer catalogs. First thought is that I don't think it's Nassan. I think it's Nassau, and whoever compiled the list of buyers misread it. Second thought is that we're probably going to find some answers in the bid sheets, correspondence and accounting notes that went along with these copies, all of which came from Wayte Raymond himself.

Andy Lustig

@MrEureka said:
    .Just got home this evening and trying to reset my body clock. Calling it a night shortly, but I did just check out my Newcomer catalogs. First thought is that I don't think it's Nassan. I think it's Nassau, and whoever compiled the list of buyers misread it. Second thought is that we're probably going to find some answers in the bid sheets, correspondence and accounting notes that went along with these copies, all of which came from Wayte Raymond himself.

Just to clarify, the complied typed list of buyers is from a separate sale in England conducted by Sotheby's in 1931. My hunch was that Nassan was an English firm or person and this is the only reference I can find of any "Nassan". You may very well be correct on the Nassau, just wanted to draw the distinction that the typed document was from a different sale.

@Boosibri said:

@MrEureka said:

Just to clarify, the complied typed list of buyers is from a separate sale in England conducted by Sotheby's in 1931. My hunch was that Nassan was an English firm or person and this is the only reference I can find of any "Nassan". You may very well be correct on the Nassau, just wanted to draw the distinction that the typed document was from a different sale.

Understood. I can’t explain the second appearance of the name. Good question for the esylum.

Andy Lustig

Solved!

Andy Lustig

• robp2robp2 Posts: 167 ✭✭✭✭

The same question was asked on Predecimal and included the picture of the Thellusson part 2 sale catalogue PRL. My reply was:

Although most people placed commission bids through the big dealers, you did get some people buying in their own name. There were plenty in the 1931 Thellusson part 1 sale for example, but not Nassan. However, that sale was English, Scottish and Tokens. Part 2, which I assume is the sale in question, was Foreign and Books, so it could well be a foreign dealer, a private individual, or just possibly the name used for an in house book bid (but then I would expect to see the name appear elsewhere). Most collections aren't sold in named sales, and the more famous they are (making them worthy of a named sale), the less likely to have bought coins in their own name.

To summarise, it could be either an individual or a dealer reference, with a leaning towards a dealer if the name appears in sales on both sides of the Atlantic as it is unlikely an individual would travel that far to sales in 1930. But if it is both Nassan and Nassau, then the options are wide open.