Home Sports Talk
Options

🐐 Who's goatiest? 🐐

galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,166 ✭✭✭✭✭

🐐 Who's goatiest? 🐐

Sign in to vote!
This is a public poll: others will see what you voted for.

Comments

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,558 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Brady

Tommy is the only one to do it on two teams.

thats pretty goatty

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    Ruth

They all have legit competition in their respective sports for the greatest. So for me it comes down to the X factor and legacy.

Ruth has reached mythical levels. He is a legend in the vein of Paul Bunyon. As such I went with him.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,542 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Inconclusive -- Zach Wilson's career is just getting started

Let's give Zach Wilson a chance to get his career going 😂😂😂

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Brady

• Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,336 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ruth

Too many pats fans to make it non biased in my opinion.

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Brady

@perkdog said:
    Let's give Zach Wilson a chance to get his career going 😂😂😂

I'll give him five more years and then evaluate him.

• Options
    ApplejacksApplejacks Posts: 384 ✭✭✭
    edited September 27, 2023 8:29AM
    Ruth

Ruth is actually the only one up there who is a GOAT without much debate.

The other three can’t say the same I believe.

• Options

@thisistheshow said:

I'll give him five more years and then evaluate him.

cool, let us know how he's doing at the car wash

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,775 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ruth

My friend's father once told me as a young kid he would attend Shibe Park in Philadelphia to watch the Philadelphia A's play MLB. He would always try to get autographs.

When the Yankees were in town, he said that he never once saw Ruth turn down an autograph request. If there was a crowd around him, he would sign for every single one.

Ruth is famous for being a goodwill ambassador for MLB, and I think we all know the rest. Including that they say he saved the game after the Black Sox scandal. Clearly in my view, the GOAT of professional team sports.

• Options
    Ruth

@Darin said:
    Too many pats fans to make it non biased in my opinion.

Otto Graham played in 10 championship games in only 10 seasons. He was 7-3.

I think he was 105-17-4 his entire career.

Think he led the league in passing four of those years.

Probably one of the guys people know very little of.

Mahomes right now has a slight edge too I believe.

• Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,257 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ruth

One season Ruth hit more home runs than most teams did in a season.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options
    Alfonz24Alfonz24 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ruth

@craig44 said:

thats pretty goatty

Actually Ruth won 3 with the BoSox and a bunch with the Yankees.

#LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.
  • Options
    Ruth

@Alfonz24 said:

@craig44 said:

thats pretty goatty

True. Some players have won championships on three teams.

• Options
    Ruth

Ruth was a great hitter and pitcher.

If I had to make an analogy, it would be like one player being a great QB and tackle...or center and guard...or goalie and center.

• Options
    pdoidoipdoidoi Posts: 502 ✭✭✭

How about Bill Russell. Russell won 8 straight championships from 1959 to 1966. This coming from a big Laker fan born in Massachusetts.

• Options
    Brady

@Alfonz24 said:

@craig44 said:

thats pretty goatty

You are absolutely correct,

I stand corrected!!!

• Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,287 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jordan

@pdoidoi said:
    How about Bill Russell. Russell won 8 straight championships from 1959 to 1966. This coming from a big Laker fan born in Massachusetts.

Not to mention that with championships #10&11 Russell was the actual head coach while playing.

My only regret as a sports fan is not having been able to see him play live. Unfortunately his playing career ended years before I was born.

• Options
    Jordan

I think LeBron James should be in the mix here, it's not hard to compare him the MJ.

The substantial truth doctrine is an important defense in defamation law that allows individuals to avoid liability if the gist of their statement was true.

• Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ruth

How could Ruth not be the goat?.............................

David Wells wrote in his autobiography, “Babe Ruth became my first real hero. He could pitch, he could hit, he could eat seventeen hot dogs and launch a ball five hundred feet. He ate too much. He smoked too much. He drank too much. He rented his hookers by the dozen. What’s not to love?”

:D:D:D

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options
    GroceryRackPackGroceryRackPack Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 27, 2023 12:40PM

Who's goatiest?

easy pick for me...

goat tacos from the south side...

B)

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

@pdoidoi said:

Waaaaay too limited offensively to be considered the best ever.

Selecting him is akin to arguing Yogi Berra or Henri Richard are the GOAT in their sports.

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,098 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 27, 2023 3:12PM

It's amazing the way boxing gets disrespected, a sport that takes more out of you than any of the four major sports, hell, Muhammad Ali created the GOAT term. This is probably the most iconic image in sports history.

• Options
    dallasactuarydallasactuary Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ruth

@pdoidoi said:
    How about Bill Russell. Russell won 8 straight championships from 1959 to 1966.

So did Sam Jones and so did KC Jones. And Tom Heinsohn retired after 1965 or he would have, too. Players don't win championships, teams win championships.

This is for you @thisistheshow - Jim Rice was actually a pretty good player.
  • Options
    coolstanleycoolstanley Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭✭✭

Barry Bonds

Terry Bradshaw was AMAZING!!

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options
    Alfonz24Alfonz24 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ruth

#LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.
  • Options

I'm not a huge NBA fan, but do most fans still consider Jordan to be the GOAT over Lebron? Even though Lebron will probably hold most of the individual stats?

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options
    Brady

@coolstanley said:
    I'm not a huge NBA fan, but do most fans still consider Jordan to be the GOAT over Lebron? Even though Lebron will probably hold most of the individual stats?

I would say most still do. Most of Lebrons career stats are due to his longevity. There is very little black ink on Lebabies stat page. in 20 seasons he has led the league in 2 statistics. points/game once and assists/game once. That is the entirety of his league leading statistics.

• Options

@craig44 said:

@coolstanley said:

I would say most still do. Most of Lebrons career stats are due to his longevity. There is very little black ink on Lebabies stat page. in 20 seasons he has led the league in 2 statistics. points/game once and assists/game once. That is the entirety of his league leading statistics.

Lebron is the all-time points leader. Isn't that one of the most prestigious records in all of team sports?

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options
    Brady

@coolstanley said:

@craig44 said:

@coolstanley said:

Lebron is the all-time points leader. Isn't that one of the most prestigious records in all of team sports?

yes it is. That record is definitely a longevity record. He has only led the league twice in one of the major statistical categories in 20 seasons.

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,798 ✭✭✭✭✭

Goats and legends are not always what you may think or believe- not voting

Just a little commentary- Ruth did so much for Professional sports and MLB- so did Red Grange in terms of moving Pro football along in a direction towards main street to insure success. Red Grange is a legend and always will be... Was he the greatest? Probably not but he brought football to a higher level to the extent that it manifested in success in a progression that exists today. One could assert that without the success of Red Grange and his legendary status as a dynamic player in College and in the pros, would there have been an NFL that manifested itself into what it is today?

More often than not, we ignore how MLB, the NFL, NHL or NBA evolved to what these organizations are today without adequate consideration for the progression and who was instrumental in the development that shaped what exists today.

Maybe someone like Red Grange deserves credit over someone like Tom Brady who really benefitted the difference in what the game was at the time they played. Clearly one shaped the game for what it could ultimately became while others capitalized from change that transpired over decades. I think Brady is an amazing player... so is Jordan and Wayne... but so was Wilt, Bill and Gordie. I am not entertaining a GOATIEST without an analysis as to the progressions of each professional sport that is included within this thread.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,055 ✭✭✭✭✭

Surprised no mention of Tiger or Jack. So well known only a first name is required.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options

Ben, Walter or Sam can't be left out of that discussion. Had Byron Nelson not retired prematurely, I would have included him as well

• Options
    PillarDollarCollectorPillarDollarCollector Posts: 4,800 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gretzky

Gretzky he not only dominates but it is not even close and never will be. Almost 3000 points while no one else has ever reached 2000 points.

Coin collecting interests: Latin America

Sports: NFL & NHL

• Options

@BLUEJAYWAY said:
    Surprised no mention of Tiger or Jack. So well known only a first name is required.

@coinkat said:
    Ben, Walter or Sam can't be left out of that discussion. Had Byron Nelson not retired prematurely, I would have included him as well

don't sleep on Bobby Jones fellas. he won 13 majors (7 official, 6 unofficial) despite being eligible to play in only 50% of them during his career, he won the pre-Masters Grand Slam, and he retired at the ripe old age of 28.

play the extrapolation game and he's the ultimate "what if?" guy

• Options

@galaxy27

Bobby Jones is a fair and reasonable observation- He likely would have been a significant competitor on the Pro tour-had he chose that direction- bridging the gap between Walter Hagan, Gene Sarazen and Snead, Hogan among others.

• Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,336 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ruth

My answer might be unpopular but I’m going with Huracan, the legendary Mayan who ruled what they called the ‘ball game’.
    Due to his great prowess on the stone court, he was almost single-handedly responsible for the ritualistic sacrifice of some 200-300 opponents. It has been oft repeated that he was a favorite of the Mayan fans who were often heard chanting
    “Rock me like a Huracan!”
    I’m kind of surprised he wasn’t on the poll so my second choice is the Babe.

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coolstanley said:

Yeah, most NBA fans still put Michael at #1.

• Options

@Tabe said:

@coolstanley said:

Yeah, most NBA fans still put Michael at #1.

Not according to this poll.

https://www.republicworld.com/sports-news/basketball-news/lebron-james-chosen-as-nba-goat-over-jordan-by-29-us-states-after-2020-title-win.html

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options

@BLUEJAYWAY said:

The most popular athletes in the World are Soccer, Basketball, and Tennis players.

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options
    Ruth

@Darin said:
    My answer might be unpopular but I’m going with Huracan, the legendary Mayan who ruled what they called the ‘ball game’.
    Due to his great prowess on the stone court, he was almost single-handedly responsible for the ritualistic sacrifice of some 200-300 opponents. It has been oft repeated that he was a favorite of the Mayan fans who were often heard chanting
    “Rock me like a Huracan!”
    I’m kind of surprised he wasn’t on the poll so my second choice is the Babe.

Now that was spit take funny. 🤣

Although I'm guessing at the time, that the losers didn't think it was funny. 🤔😉

• Options
    Ruth

@coolstanley said:

@BLUEJAYWAY said:

The most popular athletes in the World are Soccer, Basketball, and Tennis players.

The only soccer player i can name is Pele from years ago.

I couldn't name a single soccer player before or since. 😆

• Options

@stevek said:

@coolstanley said:

@BLUEJAYWAY said:

I dont follow soccer but i think Messi is huge.

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options
    Ruth

@coolstanley said:

@stevek said:

@coolstanley said:

@BLUEJAYWAY said:

I dont follow soccer but i think Messi is huge.

Soccer is well known as the world's most popular sport. So i'm sure there has to be household name superstars in it.

I've tried maybe around ten times over the years to watch a big soccer game from the beginning, like the World Cup. I can see the talent involved in playing it. I just can't stand watching it. I don't remember watching it for over five minutes without turning it off.

It's a great sport without question, just not my cup of tea. I ignore all articles and stories about it.

• Options
    Brady

isnt Cricket the 2nd most popular sport worldwide? I think it is huge in India

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,251 ✭✭✭✭✭

Don't forget Marbles! Who didn't play marbles as a kid.
    Tiddlywinks was huge too.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options

I didn't vote here, but I continue to be baffled by the lack of support for Wilt as the basketball GOAT.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    Ruth

@craig44 said:
    isnt Cricket the 2nd most popular sport worldwide? I think it is huge in India

Interesting, I wouldn't have guessed that.

Not sure what I would have guessed for second. I might of said basketball. 🤔

• Options
    Ruth

@JoeBanzai said:
    I didn't vote here, but I continue to be baffled by the lack of support for Wilt as the basketball GOAT.

Wilt Chamberlain is the GOAT of basketball.

Period.

• Options

@stevek said:

@JoeBanzai said:

Period.

Seems to me, in general, several players in each sport could be called the GOAT, but it's always Jordan, Lebron or Kobe, followed by a few others.
    Chamberlain dominated at both ends of the court.
    515 straight games over 40 points, and the next guy is at 33?
    Plus greatest rebounder ever.
    Heck, many (most?) here don't even say Wilt was the best Center of all time!
    Unbelievable to me.

• Options
    Ruth

@JoeBanzai said:

@stevek said:

@JoeBanzai said:

Period.

Seems to me, in general, several players in each sport could be called the GOAT, but it's always Jordan, Lebron or Kobe, followed by a few others.
    Chamberlain dominated at both ends of the court.
    515 straight games over 40 points, and the next guy is at 33?
    Plus greatest rebounder ever.
    Heck, many (most?) here don't even say Wilt was the best Center of all time!
    Unbelievable to me.

In the past I've spoken to some folks who saw Wilt play when he was young, even at Overbook High School in Philly. He was just a freak of nature, and the scary part is he was lightening fast. Perhaps not on his feet so much, but with the rest of his body and hands. He was simply unstoppable.

Even Bill Russell has stated a number of times, the goal against Wilt wasn't to try to stop him, because that wasn't possible. But just to set-up a defense to try to keep the ball out of his hands, and let the other players try to beat you. Actually that defense did work well, as the Celtics often beat the 76ers for titles.

Chamberlain also once scored 100 points in a game. Also another seemingly impossible record, considering his long career, is that he never fouled out in a game. Just incredible.