Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Is it worth getting autographed cards graded with PSA's seemingly much stricter grading standards?

From other posts I have seen on here, it looks like I'm not the only one that feels that PSA has become much more strict on their grading. Cards that look like they should get no worse than an 8 are getting 5s and 6s. Considering this much tougher grading standard, do you bother getting your cards you submit for autograph authentication graded, or do you just get the autograph authenticated, or get the authentication with an auto grade but not a card grade?

I have several cards I want to submit for autograph authentication, but I don't want to pay extra money to also have the card graded and have it get a 5 or 6 when it would have gotten an 8 or 9 a year or two ago.

Comments

• JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,697 ✭✭✭✭✭

Depends on the card.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • TiborTibor Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭✭✭

With autographed cards, the issue is the authenticity of
    the signature. The grade of the host card is secondary.

• 4for44for4 Posts: 675 ✭✭✭

The card grade is more important then the autograph grade in terms of resale.

High dollar vintage cards must either be

1. Card grade - auto grade
    2. Card grade - authentic

Low dollar cards it doesn’t matter much.

Good luck

Forum members on ignore
    Erba - coolstanley-dallasactuary-SDsportsfan
    daltex

• miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,261 ✭✭✭✭✭

FWIW, they are not fast about grading card + auto's though. I subbed an order for that service with 27 items in it, with several duplicate items in the order such that they were not 27 unique items to research. My order has been at the Research stage since March 6 with no signs of moving on to the grading step yet. I have not had any response to emails or calls inquiring about its status. If you are in a hurry for dual service turn around time, you might be disappointed. You might have a long wait.

• halosfanhalosfan Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭✭

the auto grade is not really important to me. I much prefer the card graded. If the auto is authenticated and bold (not faded out) I consider it.

Looking for a Glen Rice Inkredible and Alex Rodriguez cards
  • 1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think dual grading is best if the card warrants it. Based on your concern over the card grades, I’m guessing these are vintage?

Check the pop reports - maybe a 5 or 6 will still be highest graded?

Yes, they’re tough on cards but their grading of auto’s seems unchanged.

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• @miwlvrn said:
    FWIW, they are not fast about grading card + auto's though. I subbed an order for that service with 27 items in it, with several duplicate items in the order such that they were not 27 unique items to research. My order has been at the Research stage since March 6 with no signs of moving on to the grading step yet. I have not had any response to emails or calls inquiring about its status. If you are in a hurry for dual service turn around time, you might be disappointed. You might have a long wait.

That's ridiculous that they can't even reply to your inquiries, let alone the nearly 7 months they have had the cards.

• BPorter26BPorter26 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭✭✭

I collect a lot of rookie autograph cards and for me the card has to have nice eye appeal especially in vintage, but the auto has to be bold and clean which majority will come back 10's. 1980's cards you want the dual grade 10/10 to make any money.

"EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY IT SAYS IT RIGHT THERE ON THE WALL" - JACKIE MOON
  • Thanks for all of the replies, and sorry for the late response, as I've been extremely busy lately.

Most of the cards I'm getting graded are not vintage. A few are vintage cards of older Bears players (Dick Butkus, Ed O'Bradovich, Johnny Morris), and a few older Cubs guys (Rick Reuschel and Randy Hundley). Most are cards of players that were members of the 2016 Cubs championship team, and players from the 1985 Bears (which I know doesn't quite fall into the vintage category, as most consider vintage to be pre-1980s).