Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

****The Official 2024 Greatest Generation Commemorative Coins thread**** Shipping now!

GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,866 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 3, 2024 10:56AM in U.S. Coin Forum

The 'greatest generation' is about to disappear.

On first glance, I'm liking those reverses.

What are your thoughts??

MInt PR:

WASHINGTON–The United States Mint (Mint) joined U.S. Senator Mike Rounds (R-SD) and U.S. Representative Marcy Kaptur (D-OH), along with representatives from the Friends of the National World War II Memorial, to unveil the designs for the 2024 Greatest Generation Commemorative Coin Program during a ceremony at the World War II Memorial in Washington, D.C. The designs are emblematic of the National World War II Memorial and the service and sacrifice of American soldiers and civilians during World War II and will be featured on a $5 gold coin, a $1 silver coin, and a half dollar clad coin. As authorized by Public Law 117-162, the sales price of each coin will include a surcharge payable to the Friends of the National World War II Memorial to support the National Park Service in maintaining and repairing the National World War II Memorial, and for educational and commemorative programs. United States Mint Artistic Infusion Program Designers created all the designs, which were sculpted by United States Mint Medallic Artists.

$5 Gold

$1 Silver

$.50 Clad

Mint PR Link

Comments

• Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭✭

I for one have deep
    Love for the greatest generation as my dad was a member. He was in the Air Force. I think it’ll be one of those cases where the design will grow on me. The one in the middle looks to be the coolest design of the three. But that’s just my opinion.

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options

@OAKSTAR said:
    Just wondering how or why this portion of the globe was selected. War it the Pacific?

>
    Makes sense, Pacific theatre on one side, Atlantic on the other.

• Options
    MrBearMrBear Posts: 378 ✭✭✭

Wow! The other two are nice, but that $1 coin is amazing!

Occasionally successful coin collector.
  • Options
    JWPJWP Posts: 17,788 ✭✭✭✭✭

My Dad served in the South Pacific on PT Boat PT76. I WILL BE A BUYER OF THESE MINT ISSUES FOR SURE. Thanks to THE Men Zand Women who served during WWII. Also to all the veteranS that served before and after WWII.

USN & USAF retired 1971-1993
    Successful Transactions with more than 100 Members

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,949 ✭✭✭✭✭

Today about 123,000 US WWII veterans are estimated to still be living. That is less than 1% of all US WWII veterans.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    Manifest_DestinyManifest_Destiny Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 21, 2023 6:39AM

@291fifth said:
    Today about 123,000 US WWII veterans are estimated to still be living. That is less than 1% of all US WWII veterans.

The youngest one was probably born around 1929, so at least 94 years old.

• Options
    ConshyboyConshyboy Posts: 388 ✭✭✭✭

As an avid reader of WW2 history the men and women of that time are some of the most honorable, bravest people to ever walk the face of this earth. The dollar silver will be the one for me. If there are any WW2 veterans on here THANK YOU for the freedom we all enjoy today!!!!

• Options
    FrazFraz Posts: 1,875 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Manifest_Destiny said:

@291fifth said:

Searched youngest enlistee—check out the story of Calvin L.Graham, he cleared enlistment at age 12 in 1942.

• Options
    ConshyboyConshyboy Posts: 388 ✭✭✭✭

@Fraz said:

@Manifest_Destiny said:

@291fifth said:

Searched youngest enlistee—check out the story of Calvin L.Graham, he cleared enlistment at age 12 in 1942.

Some of the individual war stories are absolutely incredible, I continue to read accounts of servicemen that are just,I can't even think of a word to describe them.

• Options
    Cranium_Basher73Cranium_Basher73 Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lou Contor, 101, last living survivor of the USS Arizona.

Throw a coin enough times, and suppose one day it lands on its edge.

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,230 ✭✭✭✭✭

a wall of stars (even curved) brings up the viet nam memorial. a wwii commemoration is long overdue

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,039 ✭✭✭✭✭

US World War II commemorative coins were issued in 1995.

:)

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,793 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 21, 2023 12:51PM

At first glance I like the designs, but the more I look at it, the dollar's obverse bothers me somehow.

On the left I see an airman (seemingly ethnic, so Tuskeegee Airmen?); maybe a Merchant Marine or Coast Guard sailor; a Navy sailor.

On the right I see a Marine (what is that crazy looking rifle supposed to represent? Maybe a BAR, instead of the infinitely more common M1 Garand?); a factory worker (?); a nurse.

I see no representation of the US Army.

All of the figures deserve to be honored, but I'm wondering if they should move the civilian figures to their own coin/design, for example.

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,528 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like the $1 silver as well. My dad was at Omaha Beach at 18. Never forget

• Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,039 ✭✭✭✭✭

No US Army and no Rosie the Riveter.

:)

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options
    Manifest_DestinyManifest_Destiny Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JBK said:
    At first glance I like the designs, but the more I look at it, the dollar's obverse bothers me somehow.

On the left I see an airman (seemingly ethnic, so Tuskeegee Airmen?); maybe a Merchant Marine or Coast Guard sailor; a Navy sailor.

On the right I see a Marine (what is that crazy looking rifle supposed to represent? Maybe a BAR, instead of the infinitely more common M1 Garabd?); a factory worker (?); a nurse.

I see no representation of the US Army.

All of the figures deserve to be honored, but I'm wondering if they should move the civilian figures to their own coin/design, for example.

Yeah, I was trying to figure that out too. I guess it's hard to cover all the bases.

• Options
    MarkInDavisMarkInDavis Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭✭

@OAKSTAR said:
    Just wondering how or why this portion of the globe was selected. War it the Pacific?

I think it is 180% rotation from the obverse globe. Thus the whole world on the 2 sides.

image Respectfully, Mark
  • Options
    SPalladinoSPalladino Posts: 834 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like the imagery on the $1 - my favorite of the three. I think the depiction of Lady Liberty on the half is the best modern rendition...harkens to a more classic design.

Steve Palladino
    - Ike Group member
    - DIVa (Designated Ike Varieties) Project co-lead and attributor
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,566 ✭✭✭✭✭

@OAKSTAR said:

My Father served in the Army in the South Pacific. Little island called Guadalcanal, but after the fighting ended. Then went to the Philippines, and then Japan for occupation duty. He was scheduled to hit the beach in the invasion of Japan, but the War ended rather abruptly and he was able to go ashore without getting his feet wet.

The reverse map should be turned to the right a bit to show the Burma Theater of Operations. One of my Dad's cousins from Detroit fought there with Merrill's Marauders and was badly wounded. Ended up marrying one of the nurses who took care of him there.

The obverse map should be turned to the left to show more of the European and African Theaters, including the Murmansk Run, but I guess they thought it more important to show the entire Continental 48 states.

Not sure what to say about the obverse design. Everybody shown was important, but there were others.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options

From Friends of World War II Memorial....

Greatest Generation Commemorative Coin Unveiling at the WWII Memorial

• Options
    rip_frip_f Posts: 368 ✭✭✭✭

I've always interpreted the term "the greatest Generation" to mean all Americans who dealt with the depression, WWII, and then formed the strongest middle-class economic powerhouse in the world.

The focal point of all their lives was WWII, and thus the location of the unveiling, but a lot of credit should go to the non-combatants as well. Glad to see them represented on the silver dollar!

• Options

I like the dollar and the half, I'll be getting those, the $5 doesn't do it for me, at this point I'm a pass on that one.

• Options
    StoogeStooge Posts: 4,649 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beautiful coins.

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    Che_GrapesChe_Grapes Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭✭✭

So at some point in the future we may have the “failed generation” reverses complete with images of social media icons….

• Options
    Project NumismaticsProject Numismatics Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭✭✭

Worthy topic, bad designs unfortunately.

• Options
    DeplorableDanDeplorableDan Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not a fan of the $5 at all. The $1 is too busy for my liking, but the half looks good.

• Options

ll coins look nice. I too favor the $1. My father didn't serve in the military although his brothers did. When he applied they declined to take him. Later we found that was because he was working on the Manhattan Project. Later he died of lung cancer and the feds ought me out to give me some money just in case.

• Options
    edited February 22, 2024 4:00PM

February 29th or Leap Day 2024, seven Mint products go on sale celebrating the greatest generation.

I'm considering the three coin set and may just get the set graded by PCGS.

Of course I will have to send the sealed box.

Could there be a special COA inside?

Item Number: 24CG
    Mintage Limit: 50,000 Gold, 400,000 Silver, 750,000 Half Dollar
    Product Limit: 5,000
    Household Order Limit: 1

What are others considering?

edited to add: Just got this email from the Mint.

United States Mint Opens Sales for 2024 Greatest Generation Commemorative Coins on February 29

WASHINGTON – The United States Mint (Mint) will begin accepting preorders for products in the Greatest Generation Commemorative Coin Program on February 29, 2024, at noon EST. Orders are expected to begin shipping in early April.

Authorized by Public Law 117-162, the Greatest Generation Commemorative Coin Act, this program commemorates the National World War II Memorial, and the service and sacrifice of American soldiers and civilians during World War II. The public law directs the Mint to produce $5 gold coins, $1 silver coins, and half dollar clad coins as part of the program. Product options, pricing, and order limits are below. Visit Greatest Generation Commemorative Coin – US Mint Catalog Online to set up a REMIND ME alert.
    PRODUCT CODE PRODUCT OPTION INTRO PRICE REGULAR PRICE ORDER LIMIT
    24CA Proof Five-Dollar Gold Coin Pricing Grid less $5 Pricing Grid 1
    24CB Uncirculated Five-Dollar Gold Coin Pricing Grid less $5 Pricing Grid 1
    24CC Proof Silver Dollar Coin $82.00 $87.00
    24CD Uncirculated Silver Dollar Coin $77.00 $82.00
    24CE Proof Half Dollar Coin $49.00 $54.00
    24CF Uncirculated Half Dollar Coin $47.00 $52.00
    24CG Three-Coin Proof Set N/A Pricing Grid 1

Pricing for the gold product options is based on the Mint’s Pricing of Numismatic Gold, Commemorative Gold, and Platinum Products table. Introductory sales prices are in effect until March 29, 2024, at 3:00 pm EST, after which regular pricing will take effect. The household order limits of one for each gold option and the three-coin proof set are in effect for the first 24 hours.

The Honorable Ventris C. Gibson, Director of the Mint, signed 250 Certificates of Authenticity (COAs) for the 2024 Greatest Generation Three-Coin Proof Set (24CG). These personally signed COAs will be randomly inserted into unmarked sets and will be fulfilled when shipping begins. Preorder your set when sales open at noon on February 29 and keep your fingers crossed for a chance to be one of the lucky recipients.

“These coins honor the unwavering commitment, achievements, and sacrifices of all Americans who served during World War II,” said Director Gibson. “For millions of Americans, the National World War II Memorial provides a rare glimpse into the past—a physical reminder showcasing the service and dedication of American soldiers and civilians during World War II.”

“The World War II Memorial recognizes the tremendous sacrifices made by our Greatest Generation,” said Senator Mike Rounds, the Senate sponsor of the bill. “They put their lives on hold to step into numerous roles defending our country. Whether at home or abroad, their selfless efforts made an unmatched impact on the generations to follow. The Greatest Generation Commemorative Coins will help us remember and honor the courageous heroes of World War II.”

“At the heart of our nation’s capital, the National World War II Memorial stands as an enduring testament to the patriots of America’s Greatest Generation whose selfless courage secured the victory of Liberty in the 20th century,” said Congresswoman Marcy Kaptur, the House sponsor of the bill. “The Greatest Generation Commemorative Coins being minted this year serve as a sturdy token that honors those who fought and sacrificed while fortifying the sacred national shrine that salutes their legacies.”

Surcharges in the amount of $35 for each $5 gold coin sold; $10 for each silver dollar sold; and $5 for each half dollar sold—totaling $50 for each three-coin set sold—are authorized to be paid to the non-profit Friends of the National World War II Memorial to support the National Park Service in maintaining and repairing the National World War II Memorial, and for educational and commemorative programs.

“The Greatest Generation Commemorative Coins serve as a heartfelt tribute to our World War II heroes and commemorate the 20th anniversary of the dedication of the remarkable World War II Memorial. We urge all Americans to obtain a coin in memory or honor of a loved one who served in this historic conflict,” said Jane Droppa, Chair, Friends of the National World War II Memorial. “We aspire to see these coins become a meaningful medium for individuals to share the extraordinary stories of those who played a pivotal role in bringing freedom to millions worldwide during the deadliest conflict in human history.”

• Options
    OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,788 ✭✭✭✭✭

Love the folded flag! The silver dollar looks like a movie logo with an MC Escher on the reverse. Broken sword's a nice tribute to the Victory Medal! (Thanks for finding that @Manifest_Destiny !) > @Goldbully said:

Could there be a special COA inside?

LOL.....Only one for you!!!! :):):)

• Options
    mlittlemlittle Posts: 120 ✭✭✭

There is no U. S. Army infantry soldier on the $1.

• Options
    OwnerofawheatiehordeOwnerofawheatiehorde Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

Finally, some nice modern US coins! I really like the classic Liberty on the half dollar.

Type collector, mainly into Seated. Young Numismatist. Good BST transactions with: mirabela, OKCC, MICHAELDIXON

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,230 ✭✭✭✭✭

the wwii memorial is a very classic design that could have been designed in the 40's
    if you're around the museums on the mall, it's right there with them

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

Nice report on the 2024 Greatest Generation Commemorative Coin Program from Son of a Silver Stacker.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jWJJZdMCeE
  • Options
    DrDarrylDrDarryl Posts: 585 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 24, 2024 9:57AM

US entered the war in the Pacific after the attack on Pearl Harbor, Territory of Hawaii. Befitting to have it in the design.

https://coins.collectors-society.com/wcm/CoinCustomSetView.aspx?s=12054

• Options
    DrDarrylDrDarryl Posts: 585 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ramage's Rampage. Submarine warfare in the Pacific Ocean.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=ZnB82cT1LQI&t=41s

• Options
    edited February 25, 2024 5:43PM

Countdown begins......96 hours and counting.

I believe this offering will be very popular as it should be.

Anyone thinking about what they might be interested in?

I'm still shooting for the three coin set.....only 5,000 available.

Edited to add:

2024 Proof Silver Dollar...$82
    2024 Uncirculated Silver Dollar...$77
    2024 Proof Half Dollar...$49
    2024 Uncirculated Half Dollar...$47

We will know the gold on Wednesday.

• Options

The guy operating the press was the star of the show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAwBTjYH-m8

Greatest Generation Commemorative Coin Strike Event

• Options
    NJCoinNJCoin Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Goldbully said:
    Countdown begins......96 hours and counting.

I believe this offering will be very popular as it should be.

Anyone thinking about what they might be interested in?

I'm still shooting for the three coin set.....only 5,000 available.

Edited to add:

2024 Proof Silver Dollar...$82
    2024 Uncirculated Silver Dollar...$77
    2024 Proof Half Dollar...$49
    2024 Uncirculated Half Dollar...$47

We will know the gold on Wednesday.

Agreed! They are very attractive, classic designs that will be very popular with their target audience. The 3 coin set is the only guaranteed sell out, due to the low product limit and the high mintages across the other options. That even includes the gold, with only 45K split between proof and unc after subtracting the 5K from the 3 coin set.

Unfortunately, the price history of modern commems suggests these will not be winners long, or even intermediate term. There might or might not be a short term flip in the 3 coin set, because it will sell out fast, but I wouldn't buy it for that reason. I'll probably get one to keep because I like it. If it holds its value, great. If not, not, and at least the surcharge is supporting something worthwhile.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file