Options

Stan Musial or Mickey Mantle

4for44for4 Posts: 675 ✭✭✭

Forum members on ignore
Erba - coolstanley-dallasactuary-SDsportsfan
daltex

Stan Musial or Mickey Mantle

Sign in to vote!
This is a public poll: others will see what you voted for.

Comments

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,541 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mickey

Hashtag Legend

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,556 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mickey

gotta be mick

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    coolstanleycoolstanley Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stan the Man

Stan the Man easily. Top 5 or 6 all time player.

Terry Bradshaw was AMAZING!!

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,489 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mickey

Mantle was the better payer. He was a fleet footed player who hit for average with power. Had he took better care of himself (Less time time raising hell with Billy Martin and Whitey Ford and then less drinking after that) and not had the issues with his legs, he would have been even better. He stayed around for too long which knocked his betting average to below .300. I also question the wisdom and advantages from the switch hitter strategy.

Musial was a great National League player, which, in my opinion, was weaker league in this era. Musial took much better care of his body and had a longer productive career. He was slower a foot and not as good in the outfield. He also had the disadvantage of playing in St. Louis where he got a lot less press.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    Stan the Man

Sporting news has Musial ahead of Mantle.

https://www.baseball-almanac.com/legendary/lisn100.shtml

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BillJones said:
    Mantle was the better payer. He was a fleet footed player who hit for average with power. Had he took better care of himself (Less time time raising hell with Billy Martin and Whitey Ford and then less drinking after that) and not had the issues with his legs, he would have been even better. He stayed around for too long which knocked his betting average to below .300. I also question the wisdom and advantages from the switch hitter strategy.

Musial was a great National League player, which, in my opinion, was weaker league in this era. Musial took much better care of his body and had a longer productive career. He was slower a foot and not as good in the outfield. He also had the disadvantage of playing in St. Louis where he got a lot less press.

Mantle, especially before he got hurt, was extremely fast. Musial, however, was plenty fast. He led the NL in triples FIVE times, reaching 20 twice.

• Options
    PillarDollarCollectorPillarDollarCollector Posts: 4,800 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stan the Man

Stan Musial

Coin collecting interests: Latin America

Sports: NFL & NHL

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,251 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stan the Man

Mantle had more power, Musial gives you 4 more years of playing time at nearly the same level.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,336 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stan the Man

Easy choice.
    Much like Aaron, just plug Musial into the lineup every single day and get greatness in return. Mantle just missed to many games.
    For supposedly being one of the best sluggers in mlb history, Mickey trails Stan in slugging percentage.

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭✭✭

🏾 Justin Fields

i never saw either play, so i defer to my old man

he has bled Cardinal red since his youth, with Stan the Man being his all-time fav player

but he once told me that injuries prevented Mantle from having a Ruthian standing in baseball's history

so if pressed, i think i know how he'd answer

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,797 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stan the Man

I see this as much closer call than Greenberg and Murray. This could go either way

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    dallasactuarydallasactuary Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mickey

@Darin said:
    For supposedly being one of the best sluggers in mlb history, Mickey trails Stan in slugging percentage.

I won't fault anyone for picking Musial; these two are extremely close and I could make a good case for either of them. But Mantle was a better slugger than Musial. The tiny edge to Musial in career SLG is a park illusion. Mantle outslugged his peers (park-adjusted) by 44%, Musial outslugged his peers (park-adjusted) by 37%. If you look at OBP, it's about the same gap. If there were a good way to quantify fielding value, the gap would be larger but on something less important. Moving down the scale, there's another large (but much less important) gap for their baserunning.

When he played, Mantle was a better player than Musial, of this I have no doubt. But Musial did play a LOT longer than Mantle. And giving up a year to the military and playing until he was 42, he still never had a single bad season. There is no right or wrong way to weight those, but it is important to give Mantle credit for his side of the ledger.

This is for you @thisistheshow - Jim Rice was actually a pretty good player.
  • Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,054 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stan the Man

Edge to Stan. He played a mean harmonica. :)

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,797 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stan the Man

I really was just not going to make a decision to vote on this one. I changed my mind. While Mantle was the better natural athlete, Musial had the better MLB career- He gets my vote

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    Basebal21Basebal21 Posts: 2,304 ✭✭✭✭

Stats aside if someone believes that PED users shouldnt have their stats counted than Mantle has to be eliminated as well.

• Options
    dallasactuarydallasactuary Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mickey

I was today years old when I learned that being hung over was performance enhancing.

This is for you @thisistheshow - Jim Rice was actually a pretty good player.
  • Options
    Basebal21Basebal21 Posts: 2,304 ✭✭✭✭

Mantle used steroids, even went on the DL from an infection from them

• Options
    Stan the Man

@coinkat said:
    . I changed my mind. While Mantle was the better natural athlete, Musial had the better MLB career- He gets my vote

Yep, a power hitter who won 7 batting titles. Pretty impressive.

Ignore list -Basebal21