Options

Hank Aaron or Willie Mays

4for44for4 Posts: 675 ✭✭✭

Forum members on ignore
Erba - coolstanley-dallasactuary-SDsportsfan
daltex

Hank Aaron or Willie Mays

Sign in to vote!
This is a public poll: others will see what you voted for.

Comments

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,903 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mays

Frankly, I think the only way you could vote Aaron is if you personally don't like Willie Mays.

Which isn't hard to do. Mays off the field is not the most likable of players.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,621 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mays

Say Hey Willie

• Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,376 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aaron

Hank was more consistent.
    After age 36 mays never hit more than 30 homers.
    After age 36 Aaron hit more than 30 dingers 4 times and over 40 twice.

Aaron because day after day, year after year he brought the numbers.

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mays

Mays is worlds better than Hank in the field

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    dallasactuarydallasactuary Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mays

@craig44 said:

Exactly. They were very close as hitters.

This is for you @thisistheshow - Jim Rice was actually a pretty good player.
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,516 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tie

Tie.

Mays was the better fielder, and when he was in his prime, the better, all around player.

Aaron was a dangerous, effective hitter (“Bad Henry”) for all of his career, even into his “baseball old age.” He was still a potent hitter after he beat Babe Ruth’s record. Aaron an underrated fielder, but he was a right fielder. Guys who get credit for that position are most often noted for their throwing arm. He could also swipe a base when he was of a mind to do it.

When Mays was at the end, the tank was empty. He really wasn’t able to reach 714 homers at that point.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    Aaron

@craig44 said:

Mays has a reputation as being worlds better. Fielding percentage the same with Aaron having more assists and less errors.
    Range goes to mays of course.
    Mays legend built up on that one over the shoulder catch.
    Similar to the Brett, Schmidt defensive debate. Schmidt has a reputation for being much better but the numbers don’t back it up.
    Brett really struggled first couple years at third but then became very solid.

• Options
    Alfonz24Alfonz24 Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tie

I would take whichever one you guys don't want.

#LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.
  • Options
    Mays

@BillJones said:
    Tie.

Mays was the better fielder, and when he was in his prime, the better, all around player.

Aaron was a dangerous, effective hitter (“Bad Henry”) for all of his career, even into his “baseball old age.” He was still a potent hitter after he beat Babe Ruth’s record. Aaron an underrated fielder, but he was a right fielder. Guys who get credit for that position are most often noted for their throwing arm. He could also swipe a base when he was of a mind to do it.

When Mays was at the end, the tank was empty. He really wasn’t able to reach 714 homers at that point.

I recall watching a few games on TV of Willie's last season which was with the Mets. It was painful to watch him at the plate, although he was still capable of hitting a home run.

• Options
    PillarDollarCollectorPillarDollarCollector Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aaron

Aaron for me. 2 legendary players for sure.

Coin collecting interests: Latin America

Sports: NFL & NHL

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,828 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mays

Mays. Tough and very close call- I like Aaron

Mays made one of the greatest plays in MLB History- Ask Vic Wertz. While that play - as iconic as it is and should be- seems to just amplify Mays as a Centerfielder for which there may be none finer. The 12 golden gloves seem to help frame the argument even though I would rather use a different metric.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    edited September 15, 2023 2:33PM
    Aaron

That mays play I would call one of the most famous, I’ve seen many more spectacular or greater outfield catches than that one.

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,828 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mays

In the World Series and at the Polo Grounds which at that time featured deep centerfield?

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,936 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coinkat said:
    In the World Series and at the Polo Grounds which at that time featured deep centerfield?

With an incredible throw right after.

• Options
    dallasactuarydallasactuary Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mays

@Darin said:
    That mays play I would call one of the most famous, I’ve seen many more spectacular or greater outfield catches than that one.

Unless you're old enough to have watched a game in the Polo Grounds, I can guarantee you that you've never seen a center fielder go further for a catch. It was over 480 feet to the CF wall; 450 to left-center and right-center. There isn't, and never has been, a park with more CF ground to cover than the Polo Grounds, and Mays made it look easy. The gap in fielding ability from Willie Mays to Hank Aaron, or any right fielder ever, is simply enormous. Hank Aaron was about as good a hitter, and I like Hank Aaron more than I like Mays, but picking Mays as the better of the two is easy.

This is for you @thisistheshow - Jim Rice was actually a pretty good player.
  • Options
    streeterstreeter Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 16, 2023 3:19AM

Candlestick park. Swirling cold winds blowing in off the bay. A dump.
    Fulton County Stadium. 'The Launching Pad'

Stats don't tell that story. I've heard reputable* baseball people say Mays lost 100+ homers.

Mays: the general on the field. Two year break during Korean conflict. Not allowed to turn singles into doubles or steal from first base because they'd just walk McCovey. Stats don't tell that story.

Only three players in SF who, when they came to the plate, time stood still and you could hear a pin drop. Mays, McCovey and Bonds.

*Bob Fontaine Sr, Pittsburgh scout who signed Stargell among others. Who's son was BF jr, my left fielder in HS.

Have a nice day
  • Options
    Mays

I've read where Mays has stated that he actually made a number of catches throughout his career, that were better than that famous catch.

• Options
    4for44for4 Posts: 675 ✭✭✭
    Tie

@streeter said:
    Candlestick park. Swirling cold winds blowing in off the bay. A dump.
    Fulton County Stadium. 'The Launching Pad'

Stats don't tell that story. I've heard reputable* baseball people say Mays lost 100+ homers.

Mays: the general on the field. Two year break during Korean conflict. Not allowed to turn singles into doubles or steal from first base because they'd just walk McCovey. Stats don't tell that story.

Only three players in SF who, when they came to the plate, time stood still and you could hear a pin drop. Mays, McCovey and Bonds.

*Bob Fontaine Sr, Pittsburgh scout who signed Stargell among others. Who's son was BF jr, my left fielder in HS.

Great place to see a game.

Forum members on ignore
    Erba - coolstanley-dallasactuary-SDsportsfan
    daltex

• Options
    streeterstreeter Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭✭✭

"Great place to see a game"
    On television.

That pic is early Stick. B4 they closed it in.

Have a nice day
  • Options
    coolstanleycoolstanley Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mays

Bonds over both :)

Terry Bradshaw was AMAZING!!

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,516 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tie

@coolstanley said:

Take away the steroids, and he’s below both.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mays

@coolstanley said:

I see what you did there

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.