Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

PSA Frustration

Here's my rant.

I have had to send in mechanical/grading error cards over the years to PSA to fix, Never had a problem and they always turned these cards around quickly. I sent in a grading error card 3 months ago. For some reason they card just sat in the grading step. I also know that in the past PSA has offered compensation toward grading for mis-graded cards. I called customer service multiple times over the 3 months to find out why this one card was taking so long to process. I also let them know that if they were going to offer me compensation, they would have to do it before my three remaining submissions completed because these would be the last submissions I would have for a while. Even my subscription had expired for the first time in 20 years. I did not plan to renew until I had more cards to submit. They had plenty of time to do this so I was not worried. PSA customer service assured me that if my submissions were completed before the one card was fixed they could send me a check. Of course my last 3 submissions all finished without PSA getting back to me on the one card. Finally, PSA got back to me right after my last submission completed and offered me an amount in compensation. I told them that I was not an active member right now and would rather just received a check for the amount of compensation offered. I am not talking about a lot of money either. They told me if I wanted a check, they would only give me $30 which is less than 1/3 of what they offered me in compensation. I said no, that was not fair since I let them know multiple times that they needed to offer me the compensation prior to my submissions being completed. This is really an insignificant amount of money considering I have paid PSA over $15,000 in grading fees just in 2023. I hope someone in PSA reads this and sees how inappropriate a long-time customer is being treated. They told me they did correct the card and is now a PSA 4 from a PSA 9. I told them that if they did not want to send me a check for the amount of compensation, that they could put the card back in a PSA 9 case and return it to me, which I know they would not do. At the current time, it seems like PSA is not really appropriately responding to me. Got an email from them the other day saying they tried to call me but I did not answer. I responded to their email and said to call again since obviously I can't call them. That was several days ago and still have not heard back. This is not about the money, it is about principle because I do not feel like PSA is acting in good faith based on what they have told me over the last three months.

My point in posting this, is that hopefully someone in PSA who can actually settle this, will read this because I am getting no where with customer service.

Comments

• BBBrkrrBBBrkrr Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭✭✭

How do you determine a card is 'misgraded'? I've never seen that and maybe I'm just missing exactly how that went down.

I've only had good experience with PSA's customer service over the past year, but it's only been minor things. Nothing seemed to be as involved and serious as yours. That said, it is frustrating because they seem to pass correspondence/emails to other Customer Service reps constantly during the same ticket item and the new ones never seem to read or learn what the issue is. It was a constant game of re-explaining over and over. Things got resolved, but it seems like there's an easier way to get there.

• RufussCkingstonRufussCkingston Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭✭✭

Most likely the OP can see a corner is dinged or a crease or something that was missed or caused by encasement.

As for the amount offered, we need more details. what is a PSA 9 worth and what is a PSA 4 worth? Maybe they were being more generous with giving credit. As for someone from PSA reading this and doing something, I don't think these boards really have that much traction. Just email up the food chain...

• mbothnermbothner Posts: 761 ✭✭✭

The card was graded a PSA 9 but the entire top of the card on both sides had a 3/8 inch crimped seal from when the pack was sealed. Somehow this was graded a 9 and got reviewed and still a 9. Don't see how something so obvious was missed. Thought it was a good thing to get it back in PSA's possession so the card would not be out on the open market like this. PSA had made me regret my decision.

There are 2 PSA 9's for sale for more than the amount of compensation offered but I am willing to take their offer but in a check. Their cash offer is 20% of what the available ones are selling for. A PSA 4 is worth nothing.

Just very frustrating when I have spent so much money with PSA and they are being this petty with me.

• RonSportscardsRonSportscards Posts: 938 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 8, 2023 12:49PM

Ah yes, I remember the story about this card...

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1091524/psa-9-really

@RonSportscards said:
    Ah yes, I remember the story about this card...

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1091524/psa-9-really

Oh boy, now I feel like we should be reading this on https://www.reddit.com/r/AmItheAsshole/

We gave the OP advice to return the turd because, based on sales history, PSA wasn't going to give the OP jack, especially since he/she did not pay that much for it from the ebay listing (been so long, listing is no longer viewable). What is for sale is not relevant to value if no one buys it. (or PSA doesn't see the sale)

https://www.psacard.com/auctionprices/non-sport-cards/1997-marvel-premium-qfx/wolverine/values/2788712

So now it seems that PSA is willing to give the OP a check for the amount around what we figured he'd be offered and he's calling foul, rather than being grateful that PSA offered over 3x more value if he took a future grading credit. Seems OP wants some sort of reward/finder's fee bonus for getting a mis-graded card out of the market! :s

RufussCkingston, you missed the entire point. I was fine with the amount offered but did not want credit because I have nothing needing graded at time. The first time I contacted PSA customer service about this, I told them if they were going to offer credit than it needed to be before my last three submissions finished but they did not address this card for several months. They told me I could get a check for what was offered if I could not use the credit and never said a greatly reduced check. When they got around to actually processing the card, they changed what they said. There is one available for sale by Comc for $143.

I think you are more missing the point of my point, but anywho, it seems that you were speaking with random customer service reps on the phone, so you have no records (emails) of your situation. These customer service reps are just giving generic answers/lip service. They don't have anything to do with a PSA Guarantee issue. And they actually told you the truth, that if you didn't want credit, you could get a check, but they never told you an amount or that a check would equal the credit amount, you are just making an assumption. It's the same with airlines, you get more if you get a flight credit, but if you want cash, then you will not get as much (or rather not get a bonus). Telling these phone reps to speed things up so a credit could be used is not in their control. Either you use the customer request center (which I assume you did for the Guarentee return), or info@psacard.com so you have a record and there is no he said she said. And as said many times, the one for sale on COMC for $143 doesn't mean anything.