Home Sports Talk

1982-83 Edmonton Oilers Worst Stanley Cup final performance ever ?

4for44for4 Posts: 675 ✭✭✭

7 Hall of Famers

Get swept by a big goal differential.

Is there a greater roster that ever did worse
in a Cup final ?

Similar post to my 82-83 Lakers post.

Forum members on ignore
Erba - coolstanley-dallasactuary-SDsportsfan
daltex

Comments

• 4for44for4 Posts: 675 ✭✭✭
    edited August 24, 2023 5:24AM

The Oilers defeated the Islanders 4-1 the next year after the Islanders 4 years of Cup domination. Islanders were older and worn out like the 75-79 Canadians.

Oilers went on to win 3 more cups with Gretzky facing only 3 HOF’s during those three years in the finals in a watered down league.

Mark Howe and the Flyers gave them fits. Bourque and Neely did not.

Someone please explain to me why Neely is a hall of Famer and Roenick is not. SMH. Gretzky’s team really only faced Howe and Bourque imo.

Mario Lemieux’s penguins shut out Chicago 4-0 with Chicago’s 4 HOFamers plus Roenick in 1991 in an absolutely amazing display of power. Minnesota wasn’t as strong as Chicago and got swept also.
    Two straight Cup final sweeps with the Pens 7 HOFs not including Jagr and Barrasso. So 9 really.

My feeling is that Lemieuxs Penguins would have taken Gretzky’s Oilers when both teams were at their best.

I’d say 4-2 Penguins.
    I do admit I’m a homer so feel free to disagree.

Forum members on ignore
    daltex

• thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 24, 2023 3:04PM

@4for4 said:

Someone please explain to me why Neely is a hall of Famer and Roenick is not.

You like old threads, so here is a semi-recent one that asked a similar question....started by yours truly. Lol.

ETA https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1090213/should-jeremy-roenick-be-in-the-hof

• 4for44for4 Posts: 675 ✭✭✭

@thisistheshow said:

@4for4 said:

Someone please explain to me why Neely is a hall of Famer and Roenick is not.

You like old threads, so here is a semi-recent one that asked a similar question....started by yours truly. Lol.

ETA https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1090213/should-jeremy-roenick-be-in-the-hof

OMG 😂

Did you reread that entire thing ?

Few discussed your question 😂

It was about fighting 😂

Forum members on ignore
    daltex