Home Q & A Forum

spaceship error on it

fish1967fish1967 Posts: 103 ✭✭
edited August 12, 2023 7:22PM in Q & A Forum

Sent coin. Came back MS64FS. When i sent coin in I noted the spaceship. On invoice sheet says noted that he or she sees it. So why is it not noted in their page and when I log in to pcsg its not noted. I want to sell but no info on it confused.

Best Answers

• ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,812 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome to the forum! :)

Your spaceship is a hit on the coin, it was not minted that way.
    It's post mint damage (PMD)
    That is why they did not note it on the holder.

@fish1967 "I do know this it happens where minted"

It did not happen at the mint and is not an error. It's post mint damage.

It is not doubling from the base of the pillars.
    If you look closely you will see pushed up metal on both sides of the cut/damage.

• WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,651 ✭✭✭✭✭

Those blinkity, blank aliens.
    Lol😄
    I like it.
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• GreenstangGreenstang Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭✭✭

fish 1967
    Damage is not an error.
    Also damage can happen at the mint (though it is rare) but it is only an error
    if it happens during the actual striking of the coin. There are only certain things
    that can happen at this time and what you have is not one of them so the
    alternative is that is is damage, nothing more, nothing less.

• ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

I see the alien spaceship.

The US government says that there aren't any so the mint being part of the government will deny the spaceship on the back of your Jefferson.

• Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,591 ✭✭✭✭✭

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

Answers

• GreenstangGreenstang Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 13, 2023 3:39AM

Welcome

It is not an error, it is damage, that is why it is not noted.
    What during the striking of the coin do you think could have
    happened to create this “error”?
    Also please include the year of your nickel, this can sometimes make a difference.

• lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,529 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 13, 2023 5:22AM

Like the others have said, it's a hit (damage).

It just coincidentally happens to look like a flying saucer there.

Not any kind of error, but fun, as a conversation piece.

Interesting that it came back MS64 FS, though. Guess the graders gave that little mark a pass.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • fish1967fish1967 Posts: 103 ✭✭

confused I payed and sent to pcsg, but they say or detail nothing about it. I do know this it happens where minted I have no Question about that, but how and why nothing noted from them. My dad has thrown coins in a box for years for the grandkids. I retire out of army and pick up the hobby. I'm new to this so if asking in the wrong place please advise. Before I retired in my line of work 15 T when checks are run on your work if something is wrong.
    mistake. To me a(mistake or damage) is when the Headman let the Helicopter fly. The (Mint ERROR) was going out of mint and into my hands. So, I'm assume I'm wrong or wouldn't be posting this. The year of Nickel is 2021.

So, hit damage. I agree to that. At Dever mint. Pleas exam the spaceship and the area around it closely and then look at bottom of pillars, I am thinking the ERROR or damage happened there.

@fish1967 said:
    So, hit damage. I agree to that. At Dever mint. Pleas exam the spaceship and the area around it closely and then look at bottom of pillars, I am thinking the ERROR or damage happened there.

@ifthevamzarockin said:
    If you look closely you will see pushed up metal on both sides of the cut/damage.

@ifthevamzarockin said:

Dang, I think I have a winner. Another friend of mine told me you're looking at the wrong end of pillar. He advises me to take 2 white paper coin Holders you send your coins in, above and below Bingo. Well, I can see it.

• IkesTIkesT Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 16, 2023 10:15AM

Total waste of money to send that coin in for grading.

• davewesendavewesen Posts: 6,097 ✭✭✭✭✭

Does that spaceship go into the coin or come out of it? or is it a small one that was stamped onto the coin?

@davewesen said:
    Does that spaceship go into the coin or come out of it? or is it a small one that was stamped onto the coin?

I cant Really tell looks to me into.

• davewesendavewesen Posts: 6,097 ✭✭✭✭✭

if it goes into the coin, then damage. A spaceship punch could have easily made that. Have you ever seen a trade dollar with a chopmark?

• emeraldATVemeraldATV Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭✭✭

If it's showing a raised image, of the craft, same as the pillars are raised, supply close up photo's, to show this pattern.

@emeraldATV said:
    If it's showing a raised image, of the craft, same as the pillars are raised, supply close up photo's, to show this pattern.

I Have looked several times, to me appears not punched. Then again that's why I sent it in to professional. It being in a capsule this is the best pick I can get unless I take it out of capsule. As of this Friday

my friend will own it. Thank you all for the reply's on this coin, been fun and have several more coins to post in the future.