Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Do you like English coins ? Check these Tyrant specimens

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
I give away money. I collect money.
I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

Comments

• JoesMaNameJoesMaName Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭

Sure was nice of you to lend them your collection! ;)
    Those are absolutely amazing.

• pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,508 ✭✭✭✭✭

World’s Most Valuable Collection!

Missing subtext: And it took me a whole 5 years of writing checks to assemble it.

• 7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,431 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Tyrant collection certainly is a marvel. I guess as I've said before I am not too crazy about checkbook collecting; more power to them & guess I am old fashioned. I know one thing though, Tyrant in Brit coins can not do what that vacuum cleaner collector is doing in the USA series - in other words there are coins he will NOT be able to get that are of supreme rarity even with an endless checkbook.

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • coinkatcoinkat Posts: 23,051 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some terrific coins there...

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• bigmarty58bigmarty58 Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭✭✭

<3

Enthusiastic collector of British pre-decimal and Canadian decimal circulation coins.
  • 291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,313 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice!!!!!!!!!!!

All glory is fleeting.
  • goldengolden Posts: 9,548 ✭✭✭✭✭

A super collection that I enjoyed seeing at the ANA.

• ClioClio Posts: 541 ✭✭✭✭✭

A really terrific collection. I wish he dabbled in silver coinage more just because those are the issues I know most about and can best appreciate. I will say my Philip and Mary shilling is higher grade :D I'm sure he doesn't care anyway lol

https://numismaticmuse.com/ My Web Gallery

The best collecting goals lie right on the border between the possible and the impossible. - Andy Lustig, "MrEureka"

• RexfordRexford Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭✭✭

He definitely collects in an odd way. There are several extremely rare coins in the collection, but only sporadically are there very high grade coins, and usually they’re of the more expensive types. The size and range of the collection is impressive, but many of the pieces are not particularly special and could be swapped for nicer examples fairly easily.

• SmEagle1795SmEagle1795 Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 13, 2023 5:55PM

@Rexford said:
    He definitely collects in an odd way. There are several extremely rare coins in the collection, but only sporadically are there very high grade coins, and usually they’re of the more expensive types. The size and range of the collection is impressive, but many of the pieces are not particularly special and could be swapped for nicer examples fairly easily.

I tend to agree. There are undeniably many, many incredible coins in Tyrant's collection but I was shocked to see that he bought a few of my duplicates at auction some years ago. I appreciate the business but they weren't nice enough for me and shouldn't be nice enough for him.

Learn about our world's shared history told through the first millennium of coinage: Colosseo Collection
    edited August 13, 2023 7:21PM

When you understand that Larry (and perhaps Ira) Goldberg is building this collection for him, and “Tyrant” probably hasn’t a clue about most of these coins, things will come more into focus.

Since the tagline is about money (world’s most valuable…), you should follow the money.

Which is a good point - not the fault of the coins. I guess for at least me, I was referring to this type of what I would call "exclusionary collecting" whereby bulldozing essentially all others of similar interests out of the way. I must admit that I know of some coins carefully protected from such trends that Tyrant or other similars will not touch.
    But as you said, the downside is that many of these coins will probably not seen the light of day as many collectors are naturally private.
    Some years ago there was a British dealer that "Hoovered up" many of the milled coins of GB but then released them for sale which then eventually allowed these coins to be shared again by the community of collectors....

• jdmernjdmern Posts: 308 ✭✭✭

Regardless of anything else, I appreciate the fact that these pieces are being exhibited so frequently. Had several people come up to me at ANA who had never purchased world coins that were inspired by the Tyrant exhibit to jump into world material. I think anything that brings more people into collecting world material is good for everyone.

Justin Meunier

Boardwalk Numismatics

• ExbritExbrit Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭✭

@Rexford said:

I guess it depends on his goals. Is acquiring an example of each coin (quantity) to complete his collection his priority or is acquiring the highest quality available for harder to find rarities first and then go after the more common issues his priority? he can always upgrade the easy acquisitions later if he chooses the first option while he completes his collection.

Where do you concentrate your effort on a collect as large as his?

• ClioClio Posts: 541 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Exbrit said:

@Rexford said:

I guess it depends on his goals. Is acquiring an example of each coin (quantity) to complete his collection his priority or is acquiring the highest quality available for harder to find rarities first and then go after the more common issues his priority? he can always upgrade the easy acquisitions later if he chooses the first option while he completes his collection.

Where do you concentrate your effort on a collect as large as his?

I think an important flaw in the notion of going back for higher examples later is that there's plenty of high-grade common material that may not come back to market after an initial offering. Surely to build the best collection you can, you should be buying the best pieces as they become available. Grade rarities included.

https://numismaticmuse.com/ My Web Gallery

The best collecting goals lie right on the border between the possible and the impossible. - Andy Lustig, "MrEureka"

• NapNap Posts: 1,721 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 15, 2023 9:49AM

It’s a very impressive collection and I hope to see it in person one day.

I think it’s unfair to compare what DLH is doing with US coins to what this guy is doing.

Both are building spectacular collections and obviously both are well funded, but numeric grade dominance is not the goal here, and it’s kind of refreshing that it isn’t. British collectors are often hostile against slabs, and many medieval coins are necessarily net graded. Completion is just not possible- certain petty kings from the misty past are not collectible- there are zero examples privately held.

Having set out to collect examples of all the ‘tyrants’ of the British Isles myself, I appreciate the challenges of the set building. I have more of the Saxon kings than this collector does, but my collection is much lower grade. Some of these coins are very difficult.

My only gripe is that the advertising point is the extreme monetary value of the collection- honestly most collectors hardly care. It’s a cool and comprehensive set of British coins including many rarities, that’s the appeal.

• John ConduittJohn Conduitt Posts: 411 ✭✭✭

It has sanitised the coins. Going on about the cost of the collection doesn’t make it interesting - quite the opposite. It shows slabs are not the best medium for displaying coins.

I imagine the point of all that, including exhibiting them, is simply to sell them for a profit.

Once the stock and real estate markets turn, I bet he will sell at least the world stuff.
    Billionaires didn't become rich by letting their assets sit idle in a bank vault, unproductive.

This is going to be the Millennia Sale on steroids (and probably a swan song for the Goldbergs).

• bidaskbidask Posts: 14,016 ✭✭✭✭✭

@pruebas said:
    Once the stock and real estate markets turn, I bet he will sell at least the world stuff.
    Billionaires didn't become rich by letting their assets sit idle in a bank vault, unproductive.

This is going to be the Millennia Sale on steroids (and probably a swan song for the Goldbergs).

Uh oh don’t say this 🧐

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• What is this set worth?

Collector of Victoria, Edward VII, George V and George VI Canadian; and most anything U.S. I am currently looking for early Lincolns, raw in XF or better.

@pruebas said:

I certainly agree and that seems to have been one of the undercutting issues all along....Well put.