Home Buy, Sell & Trade - Currency
Options

How is Great Collections with currency auctions?

I have used Great Collections with good success on coins but never currency. Anyone have any experience with currency auctions on GC?

<a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.mullencoins.com">Mullen Coins Website - Windycity Coin website

Comments

• Options

I got a coin from them on auction. I was the only bidder. Normally its a bad idea to put a coin as an auction, and eBay is a bigger market, so I assume no one uses great collections outside of very invested collectors.

The substantial truth doctrine is an important defense in defamation law that allows individuals to avoid liability if the gist of their statement was true.

• Options
    Serial_no_8Serial_no_8 Posts: 424 ✭✭✭

I used to use them but found the same items re-listed which were supposed to be won by others. I had a friend who referred them to me. He also noticed some shady practices. Both of us suspected "shill bidding" on multiple items which drove the prices up to what they thought was an acceptable profit. I also had issues with their high shipping costs, poor item descriptions & over grading. My friend tried to pick up his items & had issues with them then too. I've seen posts on other forums with similar negative feedback.

• Options
    jeffas1974jeffas1974 Posts: 319 ✭✭✭

I’ve purchased both coins and notes from them and have had zero complaints. Everything that I’ve purchased has been graded so I haven’t had to worry about poor descriptions or overgrading from the standpoint of the auction house and can’t really comment there. Shipping with regard to both cost and speed has been the best by far of any serious auction house that I’ve used.

Usually from reading this forum in the coin section I’ve seen people post compliments about GC so I’m surprised about the concerns in the prior post.

• Options

Thanks for your post @jeffas1974 I now see Great Collections is different.

I was probably mistaken.

I was referring to hibid, Great Deal Auctions & Auction Network (which links to many other collectible auction networks). I have received all my items won but paid dearly & received many items incorrectly described, over graded & later they narrowed down (to 1) expensive option to ship from the auction house nearest me. The friend who introduced me also quit after many similar issues. I've had many collector friends refer to auction network as "an internet flea market run by individuals who know nothing or little about collectibles." I would tend to agree.

• Options
    WindycityWindycity Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for comments. I have used Great Collections many times for coins and very pleased. My question more accurately stated is "do the do enough volume in currency to attract the avid currency collectors?"

<a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.mullencoins.com">Mullen Coins Website - Windycity Coin website
  • Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have bought some foreign paper money on there, at bids that suggested not many other collectors noticed. I have been very pleased with the service that GC runs, just wish they had more of what I wanted.

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    jeffas1974jeffas1974 Posts: 319 ✭✭✭

@Windycity said:
    Thanks for comments. I have used Great Collections many times for coins and very pleased. My question more accurately stated is "do the do enough volume in currency to attract the avid currency collectors?"

They definitely don’t have the volume of a place like HA but there are still items worth looking at if you aren’t needing something specific that is harder to find.

• Options
    2ndCharter2ndCharter Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't understand the comment about overgrading since everything on Great Collections is slabbed.

Anyway, my biggest issue with GC is the lack of material. While at the ANA last week, I spoke to Ian Russell of GC about that problem and he said they're trying their best to get better notes to offer. I've bought some serious Nationals from them in the past so he knows if he puts them out there, I'll be bidding.

Member ANA, SPMC, SCNA, FUN, CONECA

• Options

I am new to paper currency, but i have purchased several pieces and found the articles purchased to be better than expected.

manofwar1

• Options
    synchrsynchr Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭✭

Lots of inventory, acceptable prices, no steals IMHO

• Options

I did sell through Great Collections and did okay..,. no Moon prices but on average okay.

• Options

@Windycity said:
    I did sell through Great Collections and did okay..,. no Moon prices but on average okay.

Can you clarify? Coins or banknotes? Any other info would be nice @Windycity (thanks).

• Options

I have sold coins many times through GC and generally very pleased. This was the first time with US currency and I did "okay."

• Options
  • Options
    ApplejacksApplejacks Posts: 384 ✭✭✭

Not a problem as people have stated.

• Options
    pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭✭✭

Haven't been over here on this board in a while.

When I sold on GC, my notes got fair to decent prices. I watch over there too, as occasionally something up my alley shows up for sale. Usually what I watch also goes for fair to good money

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was wondering the same thing, I have been very well pleased with coin auction results, but have not sent them any currency as of yet. In this next batch I have some better currency pieces I was thinking about trying?

I have a good long time ebay customer base, but my biggest fear there is shipping 5k to 10k stuff with all the sham and scam bidders out there, thats why I run the better $ stuff thru GC, but have some currency now as well.

• Options

My results with the currency at GC was very good. Happy I consigned with them.

• Options
    coinandcurrency242coinandcurrency242 Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭✭

My results were ok. I was able to get close to what I wanted. I did get more than cash offers I received on them at coin shows.

Positive BST as a seller: Namvet69, Lordmarcovan, Bigjpst, Soldi, mustanggt, CoinHoader, moursund, SufinxHi, al410, JWP