Home Metal Detecting
Options

Pocket watch... First 1800s find

gene2393gene2393 Posts: 762 ✭✭✭
edited August 2, 2023 10:53AM in Metal Detecting

Hit a local park yesterday and decided to run a custom mode on the vanquish 540 for 10 and above, got a 27 and about 5 inches down pulled out my 3rd pocket watch ever. My question is does anyone recognize the style and can help me determine a makers name/model/age

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

From your pictures, I would say it is too far gone to determine brand or model. However, if you can safely get the back removed, often there is information inside. Good luck, Cheers, RickO

• Options

The face got destroyed trying to get the back off but I was able to determine that the watch was made by Elgin Illinois co serial number is 2771638. According to my research it was made 1888 which is awesome as that makes it my oldest find ever 😁

• Options
    ConshyboyConshyboy Posts: 388 ✭✭✭✭

I always enjoy the research when trying to date finds of relics. This is the back of a women's compact that dates back to the 20's and part of a lighter giving to soldiers in Vietnam and was also a manufacturer of flamethrower in the war

• Options
    CharlotteDudeCharlotteDude Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭✭✭

Excellent find! Pocket watches like that provide interesting windows to our past.

Got Crust....y gold?
  • Options

@CharlotteDude said:
    Excellent find! Pocket watches like that provide interesting windows to our past.

Yeah it's definitely interesting finding things like this and seeing how things were at a certain time in history

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭✭✭

So a liquid wrench soak might dissolve enough corrosion to get the cover off, to find a serial number. If not you can always pry it off. Watch manufacturers data bases are pretty comprehensive. Good luck. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,294 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice find and research.

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,527 ✭✭✭✭✭

nice, i really like it :)

• Options

@johnny9434 said:
    nice, i really like it :)

Me to definitely is one of my favorite finds