Home U.S. Coin Forum

1984-D Penny, Is this a DDO on the date and MM and LIBERTY?

Best Answers

• maymay Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭✭✭

Does not look like one, keep searching. :)

Type collector, mainly into Seated. -formerly Ownerofawheatiehorde. Good BST transactions with: mirabela, OKCC, MICHAELDIXON, Gerard

• coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 23, 2023 8:11PM Answer ✓

No that is not true hub doubling which is sought by collectors, your coin displays some mechanical, also known as strike doubling, which is very common and is not valued or sought by knowledgeable collectors. Many new collectors are confused by the difference and are unaware of the many types of common strike anomalies that happen during a production run at the US mint.

You will see things like this being hyped by sellers on sites like ebay, etsy, FB and youtube who may not know the difference themselves between true hub doubling and the junk types. It is also not uncommon for these worthless types of strike doubling examples to be listed and sold by some less than scrupulous sellers that know exactly what they have and are looking for a sucker to bite.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@NewBai2023... Welcome aboard. You have machine doubling on that coin, no numismatic premium. Possible re-punched mm, but would need better pictures of the mm to evaluate. Cheers, RickO

Answers

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file